The Professional Car Archives

Mr.Smith has the archives. There is no website. If you were looking for something contact him and arrangements can be made

Mr.Smith has the archives. There is no website. If you were looking for something contact him and arrangements can be made

Who is Mr. Smith and from where? That Archives came up from somewhere when I was on The PCS facebook site? Arrangements? I'm not looking to arrange a thing, I just was hoping to look at archive photos of professional cars. I would think other members would also enjoy looking.

Somewhere I saw The Professional Car Archives. Does anyone know anything about this website or forum?

I created a searchable database that included the title of every article starting from the first volume. It also included scans of the cover, middle spread and back cover of every issue. I presented three (3) copies of this database on CD-ROM to Brady Smith for his feedback and I never heard a word. I thought my year-long project would be quite valuable to the club but I guessed wrong. Jim

I created a searchable database that included the title of every article starting from the first volume. It also included scans of the cover, middle spread and back cover of every issue. I presented three (3) copies of this database on CD-ROM to Brady Smith for his feedback and I never heard a word. I thought my year-long project would be quite valuable to the club but I guessed wrong. Jim

Thank You for responding! Well, I think there at least 3 people somewhere are very happy, then again, maybe only 1! lol

Professional Car Archive

I'm sorry but I miss understood! I was thinking of an Archive that had photos of procars from each year like what The Northland Chapter had! Dah, didn't think it was of The Professional Car magazine! Old age is setting in! I have been lucky enough to have a copy of every newsletter that was ever printed and enjoy looking at the back issues.

May I ask what kind of scanner you employed to do the job?
I'm presently looking into "Book" scanners in the hope of redicing a ton of paper to pdf or even jpeg and honestly getting crossed eyeballs trying to understand what I'm reading.

May I ask what kind of scanner you employed to do the job?
I'm presently looking into "Book" scanners in the hope of redicing a ton of paper to pdf or even jpeg and honestly getting crossed eyeballs trying to understand what I'm reading.

HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus

Jim, I'm sure it was but depending on the what kind of day it was or week it was when it came in may be the reason for not getting back to you. but like everything else archives means different things. the club archives has dealer fliers correspondence and paper stuff associated with our style of pro cars. it was moved to publications as a valued source for them of related information.

if one was looking for pictures of cars the north land site or Peter's site up in Canada is a great reference source

Sounds as if this could be a valuable research tool that deserves to be made available to the membership at large. You are to be commended on your efforts. I'm sure that it was extremely time-consuming and I, for one, would like to see it.

I turned the CD over to Walt McCall and Brady Smith of the Publications Committee. What became of it after that, I have no idea. It was supposed to be included with the next Membership Directory.

The directory has not been replaced yet. But you might give Jeff a note about it as he puts the directory out not the publishing. There should be room on the disk for it.

Jim,

Thank you for the time and effort you put into this project. I did not remember that this data existed, but we feel it is very important and beneficial to PCS members. The data has been located and included on the 2018 membership directory CD. Again, please accept our sincere (and long overdue) appreciation.

As the President at the time, and on behalf of all the members of the Society, I thanked him for taking on this project. I passed on the thanks of Walt McCall & Brady Smith after the Flint Mid Winter Meet, when I returned. I have no idea why it was never acted on, however, I am glad to see that it is going to be included with the 2018 Directory.
I know Jim very well, and I believe that if he were asked, he would bring it up to date prior to the publishing of the 2018 Directory . I do hope that he will be given the proper credit for this project, as he well deserves.
This is more than just an index, it is a searchable index, so if you are looking for articles on a particular brand or model, you can find all the articles regardless of the issues that they are published in.

This is great news! However, it would appear that sometime has elapsed since the database was created and now. Will it be up-dated to include the contents of issues published after it was originally created to the present? If so....who will be responsible for keeping it up-to-date? This sounds like an on-going but worthwhile project.

Jim,

Thank you for the time and effort you put into this project. I did not remember that this data existed, but we feel it is very important and beneficial to PCS members. The data has been located and included on the 2018 membership directory CD. Again, please accept our sincere (and long overdue) appreciation.

I can update the database in a few weeks. When's the cut-off date for the 2018 membership directory CD? Jim

Back