View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 01:28 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,158 Times in 3,617 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Leverett View Post
I know that it's not real and that clicking any of the links sends my computer to a place I don't want it to go.

How do names we know show up in these emails?

Common names are used, and sometimes, they get into someone's email account, and find an email, and then start spamming using that name. I would need all the headers of the emails that are suspicious to try to get them shut down. I have been successful only a few times, but it is better than nothing. Many times, they use a real business name to spam and the "real business" name is on top of a hidden email address. This is why I need the headers to dig deeper into where they are originating. Sometimes, they are actually using a business's account without their knowledge, since they were able to hack the business webmail server account. It is also known that they use college and university accounts nefariously, since the institutions allow all students to set up accounts. The best way is to delete anything that you get that you don't know the person, and if it is a familiar name, then open it, but don't open any links. Opening the email itself isn't going to harm you, only clicking on the links in the email will.
Bill Leverett (11-13-2017), Denny Shira (11-13-2017)