Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. (http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion Forum (http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   delco remy alternator arching and glowing (http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21051)

Russell Street 03-04-2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Zicha (Post 841924322)
I removed the original generator and leaving it our "parts bin" Maybe I can have someone rebuild it at some point. I wanted to get an alternator in so we can drive it in and out of the bays when we need to and while we're working on the rest of the car. As for the inverter- that went in the garbage because it was destroyed and rusted away (sorry). I'm a VERY impatient person, so taking my time is going to be a chore on it's own, but I'm working on that also lol. Thanks for the input!!

The one thing you need most (after the money to do the project) is patience, and a lot of it!! You ever hear the old saying "good things come to those who wait", truer words were never spoken regarding pro-cars. Take a deep breath and relax, you'll be surprised at the results. We've owned our '64 for 4 years and still have some things to do, but it all seems to happen eventually. As long as it runs and drives SAFELY, you've got it made.

John Zicha 03-06-2018 05:09 AM

For anyone who happens to be looking for one, I was able to find someone who knew exactly what I was looking for. Leece Neville 4800 is basically a new version on the Delco Remy that was in the car originally. Just modernized with an internal regular etc. Just ordered one!!!

John Zicha 03-13-2018 04:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
New alternator installed.

John ED Renstrom 03-13-2018 11:15 AM

Looks good, what is it? Internally or externally regulated?

Peter Grave 03-13-2018 03:51 PM

Lookin Good!

John Zicha 03-14-2018 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom (Post 841924529)
Looks good, what is it? Internally or externally regulated?

It's internally regulated. You can get an external one if you want. They have a ton of options. Leece Nevile 4800 series alternator.

Peter Grave 03-14-2018 12:38 AM

Way better than anything Delco put out

Blake Sherwin 03-14-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Zicha (Post 841924322)
I'm a VERY impatient person, so taking my time is going to be a chore on it's own, but I'm working on that also lol.

I can relate. I tend to be pretty impatient myself, I see the car and I think of all the things that need to be done and I try to do them all immediately. I need to work on that myself, being impulsive can be a problem of its own

John ED Renstrom 03-14-2018 11:54 AM

This was the alternator that was on my ex military 72 CB. The DOD had them in there contract. That one was externally regulated. At that time I don't think there was the other option.

Blake Sherwin 04-05-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Zicha (Post 841924541)
It's internally regulated. You can get an external one if you want. They have a ton of options. Leece Nevile 4800 series alternator.

Where did you order your from and how much did it run you if you dont mind me asking? I may be in the market for one soon. My searches turned up $400 - 800