Hood Ornaments

Ok so I have temporarily bought a Cadillac Ornament to cover up the ugly hole in my 68's hood until I can have bodywork done. I think I am missing a crucial piece for mounting it though. I have the ornament itself and it came with a cylinder and big nut.

The underside of the ornament has a loop. I feel like theres a thick rubber cord that wraps under it or something but I cant find any information without knowing what its called or what im looking for. only thing the googles tell me is how to drill a hole into a hood, and thats how this mess started...

Ok so I have temporarily bought a Cadillac Ornament to cover up the ugly hole in my 68's hood until I can have bodywork done. I think I am missing a crucial piece for mounting it though. I have the ornament itself and it came with a cylinder and big nut.

The underside of the ornament has a loop. I feel like theres a thick rubber cord that wraps under it or something but I cant find any information without knowing what its called or what im looking for. only thing the googles tell me is how to drill a hole into a hood, and thats how this mess started...

Check out the photos on ebay parts and accessories to see what maybe you are missing?

If it goes in the hole and you can get the nut on it to tighten it up that is all you need. But really it is impossable to give on an answer on things we can't see. A picture helps.

If it goes in the hole and you can get the nut on it to tighten it up that is all you need. But really it is impossable to give on an answer on things we can't see. A picture helps.
I will try to take one here when I have a second. It fits, but it doesnt snap. Looks like it requires a cord to be run down. It might make more sense once I get a pic

picture.php

Just thinking back (many years) to the one I had on my '73 and '75 Devilles, a hook went through the hole in the base of the ornament, and it was attached somehow to a spring that was held in place by a disk at the lower most point of the whole assembly. Actually the spring itself may have attached directly to the ornament........can't quite remember. The idea was to be able to bend the ornament in any direction without snapping it off. You are definitely missing 2 or 3 parts.

Just thinking back (many years) to the one I had on my '73 and '75 Devilles, a hook went through the hole in the base of the ornament, and it was attached somehow to a spring that was held in place by a disk at the lower most point of the whole assembly. Actually the spring itself may have attached directly to the ornament........can't quite remember. The idea was to be able to bend the ornament in any direction without snapping it off. You are definitely missing 2 or 3 parts.

Terry is correct. Look at the photos on ebay cars and parts.

Where did you gt the ornament? Looks to be a 1980s ornament.

Ebay, was listed as mid 70s actually.

Considering my hearse didnt have one from the factory anyway I figured its not going to be a huge deal if the years off. That gaping hole just really bugs me and this seems to be the most practical way to cover it for the time being until I can get it properly fixed.

This is not a permanent fix for sure.

Last edited:
There should be a wire that comes up through the base and attached to the wreath & crest then on the bottom there was a spring that had to be compressed to hook the wire (it had a hooked end on each end). This provided tension so the wreath and crest would stand up and bend over at car washes and resist little devilish kids who would try to break it off. The 91 to 96 Chevrolet Caprice used the same set up a trip to local U Pull It yard will yield the spring and wire and how it is set up.

Not sure as to what that base is off of, but definitely not '76 or older.

Why didn't you inquire about one here? Someone might have fixed you up with one that would actually work for you.

As Peter said. There was a spring that went around the stem. The wire went threw the hole and the ends hooked over the spring holding it all to gather ill post a picture of one tomorrow. They can be fixed just a matter of playing with it.

I didnt realize it wasnt complete. Because of the way the weird skull hood ornament was attached I assumed this would attach in the same manner. Just screwed on with a bolt. But of course we know what happens when we assume.

the problem with e-bay is sellers not knowing what they have. it should have been listed as missing parts. here is one off a Lincoln and one off the 94 fleetwood so much junk on the 94 you can't see how they hooked the spring

Attachments

• IMG_5758.jpg
    IMG_5758.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5759.jpg
    IMG_5759.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5760.jpg
    IMG_5760.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 55
they were all set up that same way with wire and spring. got a 80 pickup one on the 96 Chevy that I should have taken the pictures of. keep forgetting that 94 is in the add on security years. the junk hanging off the bottom is so that if the alarm is set and some one grabs the ornament the horn honks.

Back