Horse Drawn Hearse Help

Bill Carlin

PCS Life Member
I have been having a 1880's horse drawn hearse restored for the past couple of years. The Amish wheel right has really been doing a fantastic job and is nearing the end of the process. Now, I am looking for metel bier pins that would have been used during that time. These pins do not have any rubber on them and are polished silver or brass. I am wondering if anyone has any of these that I could see or have any idea were copies could be made. I am thinking that I might be able to use the finials from lamps if I can find them large enough. Any other ideas? This is a picture of the fifth wheel with new wheels that has been rebuilt and is waiting to go onto the horse drawn hearse.

That is me in the red coat talking to Joe, the craftsman. And no, he doesn't use power tools. It is all hand work!

Attachments

• fifth wheel.jpg
    fifth wheel.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 273
wow I would LOVE to watch that guy work....he is a TRUE craftsman

do you have any pictures of the hearse itself ?

And you know the job will be done right!! They are one of the few cultures that take pride in their work, not just get it in and out and collect a check.

Email Knotts Berry Farm in California, they have two on display and I'm sure they would have someone who go and take a photo. I checked the ones I took and I didn't get any good ones of the inside.

Back