Caddy Commerical Chassis factory pics?

John Zicha

PCS Member / EMT / PARAMEDIC
Does anyone have pictures of a 1969/1970s era Cadillac Commercial Chassis direct from the factory? Before anything was done to them by Superior, Miller, etc.? I just learned that even the windshield isn't stock caddy from searching these forums and that it's basically from the A-pilar forward. I found a few 1972 pics on google but nothing really good.

Here are a few examples:

Attachments

• 8F58A2F9-7E9F-452E-83CF-6DFDEE73F11D.jpg
    8F58A2F9-7E9F-452E-83CF-6DFDEE73F11D.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 317
  • EF86B02C-83F7-43AF-8643-194A99796C8B.jpg
    EF86B02C-83F7-43AF-8643-194A99796C8B.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 309
John, do you need a windshield? If you do, try Pilkington Glass, they are still manufacturing commercial-glass windshields in Brazil, as far as I know. I bought a commercial-glass windshield for a 67 Miller Meteor ambulance about ten years ago.

John, do you need a windshield? If you do, try Pilkington Glass, they are still manufacturing commercial-glass windshields in Brazil, as far as I know. I bought a commercial-glass windshield for a 67 Miller Meteor ambulance about ten years ago.
Yes sir...there are 3 locations in our area and I sent them a message the other day. Still waiting to hear back.

Does anyone have pictures of a 1969/1970s era Cadillac Commercial Chassis direct from the factory? Before anything was done to them by Superior, Miller, etc.? I just learned that even the windshield isn't stock caddy from searching these forums and that it's basically from the A-pilar forward. I found a few 1972 pics on google but nothing really good.

There is alot to learn, im still learning myself. Your in the right place to learn though. I have the part number for the 68 windshields but its probably not the same for 69

That number is DW-678 if needed

Last edited:
Your windshield is a standard 70 Commercial car windshield I would have to consult my old Hollander Manuals for the interchange information I can if you wish. My memory says 69 & 70 interchange and perhaps earlier. If you are not dealing with a crack but stone chips there are commercial outfits that will come to you and repair them do not try to repair stone chips yourself with kits you can buy. You can ruin an otherwise repairable windshield.

65-70 are the same windshield. The other sets are 59-64 and 71-76. A windshield will run around 500 installed.

A 1959 - 1964 windshield will cost about $1300 and about $400 to install.

I think it would be fantastic to show a flawless restored Cadillac commercial chassis as it was delivered to the coach builder at an AACA meet. That would be a bizarre and mind blowing entry. Do any “unbuilt” commercial chassis exist? I don’t know why one would. It is amazing how many very knowledgeable car people think hearses and ambulances were modified from sedans back in the day.

The commercial chassis in 1969 was delivered to the Miller Meteor factory, with all the dash, heat & air conditioning parts, in a box. The cowl was shipped to them separately by truck, and stored in a building on the premises, but not in the manufacturing facility. When Tom McPherson introduced the Miller Meteor book at a program at the Piqua library, there were a number of former Miller Meteor employees there, and I learned a lot about how the cars were built. It would be great to have another Miller Meteor reunion in Piqua, however, I would have to wonder how many of these employees are still alive today, considering that many were older the last time a reunion was held.

I think it would be fantastic to show a flawless restored Cadillac commercial chassis as it was delivered to the coach builder at an AACA meet. That would be a bizarre and mind blowing entry. Do any “unbuilt” commercial chassis exist? I don’t know why one would. It is amazing how many very knowledgeable car people think hearses and ambulances were modified from sedans back in the day.

Kent, I know what you mean and I hate to confuse you, but some were.

Unfortunately, Pilkington sent me a message today that they no longer carry the windshield for our car. He said to try a company called Accubuilt @ 888-324-7895. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Accubuilt?? I don't think so!
Why would Accubuilt have ever had a windshield for a '69 commercial chassis? Don't waste your time calling them.

If you are not dealing with a crack but stone chips there are commercial outfits that will come to you and repair them do not try to repair stone chips yourself with kits you can buy. You can ruin an otherwise repairable windshield.
Unfortunately, The windshield has several cracks going all the way across it.
Accubuilt?? I don't think so!
Why would Accubuilt have ever had a windshield for a '69 commercial chassis? Don't waste your time calling them.
I guess that's that then lol. Thank you for the heads up. I'm sure I'll come across one eventually. It's not an "I need it instantly" thing, but it will definitely need replacing.

Glass

Unfortunately, The windshield has several cracks going all the way across it.

I guess that's that then lol. Thank you for the heads up. I'm sure I'll come across one eventually. It's not an "I need it instantly" thing, but it will definitely need replacing.

What # did you call? Was this it = 1-800-848-1351 or visit http://www.pilkingtonclassics.com/

I just talked with them last month and they had about 17 on hand for this year between the back east coast warehouse and the Phoenix warehouse. No way they sold that many of these. If that happens to fail a friend has about 6 new ones on hand , but they are in So Cal.

Last edited:
I will have to check the ones I have in the yard won't be soon after todays 14 inch snow.
We lucked out this time! We only ended up with about 4" in our area, but we're closer to the Shore area. I'm ready for winter to be over already!

What # did you call? Was this it = 1-800-848-1351 or visit http://www.pilkingtonclassics.com/

I just talked with them last month and they had about 17 on hand for this year between the back east coast warehouse and the Phoenix warehouse. No way they sold that many of these. If that happens to fail a friend has about 6 new ones on hand , but they are in So Cal.

This is his contact info- He said they don't have them...

Richard.Wendland@nsg.com
Pilkington Classics-Phoenix
7375 W Buckeye Rd Bldg. 2 Ste 120
Phoenix, AZ 85043
ph. 800-848-1351
Fax 623-474-4160

Last edited:
Drop down to your locale glass shop and ask them to order one,you will save the freight. Your going to have them put it in anyway.

Back