Trimming beacon skirts

I know, discussed to death but giving ya'll an update. I created a cardboard template of the beacon base. I continued to trim it until it was level on my Criterion. I compared it to the 184's I plan on using and the inside skirt towards the roofline will need at least an inch trimmed to make it level. My skirts have been trimmed slightly and currently measure 5 inches on one side and 4 on the other. This will be close. I'm thinking I just may require a full
184-H skirt that has not been trimmed.

What do you think Ed, am I gonna have enough room?

:snow_smi:

the only way to tell is to mount the lights. depending on how far out you go will be how close you can get to the top. all you need is enough room so that the motor does not touch the roof. I thing it's some were in the 4 inch range. but if you go out to far you risk the long side being to short. so with out the light were you want them playing with the skirt will only get you in trouble. of course playing with a skirt will usually get you in trouble. follow this set here and you can see the process.
http://www.dropshots.com/jer57747#date/2010-06-22/14:27:22

If you need at least 4 inches on the short side then these light skirts won't work either. Damn!!!! I also hate to drill holes and mount the motor only to find out the skirt is too short, then I'm really screwed. Ah to heck with it, I'll just leave it alone.

Hey Ed, in looking at how you mounted Robert's beacons looks like you did it without having the motor mounted. I hope we can do the same with mine that way I will not have to drill anything until I know for sure these skirts will work.

Could I do this without actually drilling holes and mounting the beacon motor? Perhaps place studs on the base and sit on the roof line. This picture makes more sense to me on how to do this.

163345.jpg

I was making the 17-d for the 72. the base is first mounted threw the hole in the roof. then I leveled it. then put the skirt on an marked it in the back. trimmed that lowered the base and found the nut that fit the space so I could go around the skirt. in that pictures the base is mounted the skirt is screwed to the base. we are marking it then we'll put on the gasket and then lower the base till everything touches on the roof. it took me half a dozen times to get the air gaps out of the gasket..

on Roberts the motors are in place the lights were taken off as the skirt goes on under the lights. measure the top of the base to the bottom of the motor. you need that much skirt. you know that one set was mounted so you have enough there. with the motor to the outside the low end is around 2 inches if i remember right on Roberts the high or out side was about 4. as we were practicing on his older stuff so not to screw up a good one. we mounted the lights low. about as low as they could go. the front is easy as there is a lot of curve to it the back is almost flat.

but you need to get the lights mounted first then trim the skirts to fit the mount. the sides of the car are not the same. if you get the skirt trimmed first then put the light on you'll never mate up to were you trimmed it to.

Attachments

• IMG_4467.JPG
    IMG_4467.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 219
beats exlax. dosen't scare me at all it's your car!! it's decision you need to make if you want them or not. you now have 10 times the parts you need for putting two lights on the front courners of the car. the worse that can happend is you will need to fill in 8 holes in the roof of the car and put a new headliner in it. the best is you get 2 lights mounted and the car looks sharp. what are your planes with the one in the center now? leave it take it off ? but no matter what if you want the lights you got to mount them on the car first. bring all the stuff we put two lights on you sell off the rest and pay for your trip.

I think we ended up using that one to. here I was trying to find the location off the lights and get that marked. so I could drill my holes before I painted the car. but what makes you think your center one is uncut? that's a 2 in measurement across the level and we used that skirt in the back I think. I told you we mounted them low.

I think we ended up using that one to. here I was trying to find the location off the lights and get that marked. so I could drill my holes before I painted the car. but what makes you think your center one is uncut? that's a 2 in measurement across the level and we used that skirt in the back I think. I told you we mounted them low.

If my center one is cut, it would be an extremely small amount. Mounting low is not a problem but I will tell you, from my measurements the best we can get is 3 inches on the high side. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

to level the 184...

1. put three long sections of threaded rod in the attachement holes and secure them with double nuts,

2. put a nut on the distal end of each of the three rods and run it up about a inch

3. put a torpedo level on the beacon skirt and adjust it to level using the nuts on the threaded rods. adjust it so that the short side touches the roof.

4. using a common drafting compass that you can buy at any office supply store set the points at the roof and the base of the skirt on the long side.

5. run the compass around the beacon skirt to mark your cut.

6. Trim the thing off with a really good and very sharp pair of tin snips. NOTE: using old or worn snips will ruin your skirt. Go buy new ones for $25.00 - good ones not chinese jobs.

The whole thing should take no more than 5 minutes. This after it took me a whole day to remember / figure out how they did it when I was a kid. I watched Chuck Penhaligon do it a zillion times.

1. put three long sections of threaded rod in the attachement holes and secure them with double nuts,

2. put a nut on the distal end of each of the three rods and run it up about a inch

3. put a torpedo level on the beacon skirt and adjust it to level using the nuts on the threaded rods. adjust it so that the short side touches the roof.

4. using a common drafting compass that you can buy at any office supply store set the points at the roof and the base of the skirt on the long side.

5. run the compass around the beacon skirt to mark your cut.

6. Trim the thing off with a really good and very sharp pair of tin snips. NOTE: using old or worn snips will ruin your skirt. Go buy new ones for $25.00 - good ones not chinese jobs.

The whole thing should take no more than 5 minutes. This after it took me a whole day to remember / figure out how they did it when I was a kid. I watched Chuck Penhaligon do it a zillion times.

That's what Ed did. It like it. I have clear beacon domes coming and purchased red bulbs while in Albany from Len and just picked up a blue bulb. Can't wait to get that combination installed. Kevin's Criterion has the look I'm going for here folks. My angled foot mount for the Q2B is in the mail all newly chromed up. Thanks Jack.
Is it just me that my heart beats faster when seeing a CRITERION? Dern those things sure look good.

EdRenstrom2.jpg

74CRITERION20Heightman202004a.jpg

7420sta2021.jpg

74MMCadCrierionVyse2.jpg

Will check my archives...

I have an original mounting sheet from federal somewhere and will try and ship you a copy.:wwpics:

Back