Classic Car Insurance

Hello,
Can anyone recommend a classic car insurance company that you have used and are happy with?
My coaches are currently covered under regular auto policies...the insurance company depreciates their value with each passing year just as they would a modern car.
I would like to get them on policies that will better represent/cover them.

Thank you in advance for your advice,

CS

I use Hagerty, both for my classic cars and my ProCars.....

Have used them for over 18 years and am very pleased with the products offered !

I recommend Hagerty all the way! I have been with them for about 12 years. They are easy to work with, their customer service is fabulous and they are active supporters of the old car hobby. I have proudly recommended Hagerty to anyone who asks. Just call 1 800 922 4050 and talk to them, I bet you will be very happy you did.

BTW, we had a damage claim on one of our cars, they were courteous, thorough, professional and paid the claim, totally hassle-free!

Hagerty gets my vote too. Now granted I've never been with another classic car insurer, but the service I've received from them gives me no reason to shop around. Over the years I've probably had about a dozen calls for roadside assistance, which I've always cheerfully received and never received a bill for. They even towed home a car I had just bought once and wasn't actually on my policy yet. Then this summer when I had the misfortune of being in a collision with my 1980 Superior, within a week I had a check to cover their estimate of what repairs would be and the car is being worked on at a shop of my choice. A friend of mine had the misfortune of having a collision with his collector where the damage exceeded his agreed value and the car got totaled out. He had a check for his agreed value amount within a week as well. And as a nice side benefit, they also publish a quarterly collector car magazine that your policy payment automatically includes a subscription to.

Hello,
Can anyone recommend a classic car insurance company that you have used and are happy with?
My coaches are currently covered under regular auto policies...the insurance company depreciates their value with each passing year just as they would a modern car.
I would like to get them on policies that will better represent/cover them.

Thank you in advance for your advice,

CS

The short answer is that it depends on where you keep/store your vehicle, and what you use it for. I did some extensive research on this about 3 years ago, and was unable to find any "classic car insurer" that would provide coverage to a vehicle that was not kept in a secure and enclosed environment with a roof, four walls and a locking door. Many of these insurers also restrict the usage of the car to shows, cruises and maintenance-related functions.

I have had my '72 Malibu convertible insured with Hagerty for years, but they would not touch my '59 Comet Olds, since at the time (pre-restoration), I kept it behind a locked RV gate at my home. That was not secure enough for them. I ended up getting an agreed value classic car policy with State Farm, and have stayed with them, even though the car has been stored indoors since the restoration was completed. There are no restrictions on usage in the policy, although it does state that it is an antique or classic car. Their price is a bit less than Hagerty for the same agreed-to value. I have chosen to remain with them since they supported me when I needed their help. They also never disputed my suggested value, as after they spent a couple of days doing their own research, they realized they had nothing else to compare it to. My only complaint with State Farm is that they do 6 month policies, which seems pretty common in the industry. Hagerty is 12 months.

We have used J.C. Taylor exclusively for 25+ years with no issues.... however we haven't had a single claim either in that time. MM

Insurance

In one word: HAGERTY.
They are the best.
Service, rates, and especially when it comes to filling a claim.
It is my privilege to recommend them.
4 cars(exotics and collectibles) and 20 years experience.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Joe DiCorpo
Atlanta

I also have Hagerty and I am pleased, I did not have a satisfactory response on their towing package that another member here had. The mileage charges were so high I abandoned the Hagerty tow and used someone else. After that, I did not renew the towing package...

we have all of ours with state farm. we have everything else with them also.
most of the clams I have had were for hail or just glass never had a problem. when the totaled out a couple of them on me I had first buy back

I currently have my stated value classic car insurance with American National Insurance. They are also very supportive of the hobby and were somewhat cheaper than Haggerty. I have had Haggerty in the past and had a very good experience on a glass breakage claim with them years ago.

I have been with State Farm on all of my regular cars and collector cars since 1975. They have always provided excellent coverage and service. I like the fact that I have a local agent ( and friend ) to take care of me instead of some CSR at an 800 number.

We have a stated value policy, full coverage with State Farm on the '64. No restrictions on miles or time of year usage. Only requirement is it must be "securely garaged".

I have never dealt with American National (ANPAC) on a collector car claim, but I was an independent adjuster for years and they were very easy to deal with on normal auto claims.

If you ever get a chance to visit their home office in Springfield MO, they have an Opel GT in the lobby...it was the first car they insured when they got in the auto insurance biz.

Back