PDA

View Full Version : A Milwaukee Surprise

Patrick J. Martin
07-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Yesterday I made another trip to Milwaukee to attend to International Meet business, and was rewarded with a tip I had heard some time ago paying off.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves :)

The car is a 1947 S&S Cadillac ambulance that was purchased new by the Milwaukee Fire Department. The ambulance remained on the department's roster into the 1970s as a back-up unit until being sold. It then passed through the hands of a couple private individuals until the previous owner donated it back to the city. It recently came back from restoration and has taken up residence in the fire department's historical collection.

Talking to the firemen about the car, about the PCS, and about our meet being in Milwaukee next year, lead to them asking if they could bring the car over (naturally I told them no, of course not...ya, right!!), and also lead to them giving me tips on three local private ambulance companies that they think have vintage rigs as promotional vehicles, and two funeral homes that they think have vintage hearses. Needless to say, I will be following up on these leads!

They also asked if I thought the club would be interested in seeing the fire department's historical collection. Well, my response to that can be summed up as follows.....

I'm pleased to announce that the 2013 Professional Car Society International Meet WILL have an early-bird tour on Tuesday August 20, 2013. :thumb:

Sarah Snook
07-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Pat, that's awesome news. I'm glad that the tip worked out. It looks like a very cool car and it sounds like they are pointing you in the right direction to find some other gems for the meet too. One of the things I always like about meets is getting to see those local cars that no one has ever seen before. Keep up the great work!

Dave Hopping
07-02-2012, 08:46 PM
One more reason to like firefighters.:applause:

Martin Harvey
07-02-2012, 09:23 PM
The world is full of surprises !! Nice find!

To me the most impressive part of your post is about the leads on ambulance companies who own vintage promotional rigs... In a single city !!! I know for sore no more than 10 vintage ambulance in our whole province. Bring us some news about it !!

Rocky Fluegge
07-02-2012, 09:53 PM
they just ran a story on that ambulance in the milwaukee news paper. I just have not had time to figure out how to scan it and post it. Nice pics and nice going patrick

Wayne Krakowski
07-03-2012, 06:46 AM
OH the joy, I spotted a fire pole,and this pole loves those poles,for Mr.Vyse and Bedford,the answer is no,these poles are for fast safe responses for firefighters,so forget about the chairs and waitng for the dancers....:rofl:

Paul Steinberg
07-03-2012, 08:47 AM
OH the joy, I spotted a fire pole,and this pole loves those poles,for Mr.Vyse and Bedford,the answer is no,these poles are for fast safe responses for firefighters,so forget about the chairs and waitng for the dancers....:rofl:

Please note that the pole in question isn't for anyone's use from the above floors. One might say that it has one major impediment to its functionality. Damn... I loved sliding down those poles when I was young, but it wasn't for the inexperienced, because it left more than one with a sprained or broken ankle, or worse. We do have one pole dancer among our members, but I will not say who that is. I doubt that he / she will be exhibiting their skills on that pole... :poster_oops:

Wayne Krakowski
07-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Every party has a pooper thats why we invited you, party pooper,poopy party.Would you believe I love the heritage of a long lost piece of history,No,well as you said yes I did notice also the brace,yeeeooooowww!:wowguy:

Darren Bedford
07-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Wayne

I may be putting in a fire house pole in the barn I am rebuilding going from the loft to the first floor.

You can come and slide down it when its up.

There may even be a few hotties using it at ground level for other purposes.

Patrick

WAY TO GO !!! Can't wait to come and be apart of all the work you are doing to make 2013 an incredible meet for us all. Thanks for all you are doing ! Keep up the good work.

P.S. If the leads are not cars you are interested in... let me know !

THANKS !
Darren

Jerry Jacobson
07-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Please note that the pole in question isn't for anyone's use from the above floors. One might say that it has one major impediment to its functionality. Damn... I loved sliding down those poles when I was young, but it wasn't for the inexperienced, because it left more than one with a sprained or broken ankle, or worse. We do have one pole dancer among our members, but I will not say who that is. I doubt that he / she will be exhibiting their skills on that pole... :poster_oops:
You're right Paul.....I've retired.:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Wayne Krakowski
07-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Darren I know Len had one at the ambulance station he had in Chatham,unsure if he has it yet or if its still around p.s. couldn,t slide down that one either...

Steve Loftin
07-03-2012, 04:32 PM
The car is a 1947 S&S Cadillac ambulance that was purchased new by the Milwaukee Fire Department. The ambulance remained on the department's roster into the 1970s as a back-up unit until being sold. It then passed through the hands of a couple private individuals until the previous owner donated it back to the city. It recently came back from restoration and has taken up residence in the fire department's historical collection.

What a beauty! Here's what she used to look like:

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showpost.php?p=57289&postcount=406

Bill Beetschen
10-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Patrick, if you did not find this one yet, Bell Ambulance in Milwaukee has a beautiful old rig. Also, Jerry Miller at Lifequest Services in Wautoma Wisconsin has six beautiful procars including my former 1973 high top. I bet he would love to be at the meet.

Patrick J. Martin
10-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Patrick, if you did not find this one yet, Bell Ambulance in Milwaukee has a beautiful old rig. Also, Jerry Miller at Lifequest Services in Wautoma Wisconsin has six beautiful procars including my former 1973 high top. I bet he would love to be at the meet.

Thanks Bill! I know about Bell Ambulance. I've already been in contact with them and they have responded favorably about having their procar ambulance at the meet. I did not know about Lifequest. I will be contacting them for sure!

Bruce Biancalana
10-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Curtis Ambulance in Milwakee has a 1970 Lifeliner

John ED Renstrom
10-08-2012, 05:32 PM
members get new members