PDA

View Full Version : 1964 Flxible Buick "Flxette"

Adam Borkat
05-23-2012, 05:12 PM
I can't remember if we talked about this one before or not, but I can't find it if so...

1964 FLXIBLE BUICK HEARSE LESABRE - $5500 (San Fernando Valley) (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/3017510327.html)
Date: 2012-05-18, 7:23PM PDT
Reply to: k94dh-3017510327@sale.craigslist.org

1964 Flxible Buick "Flxette" short wheelbase hearse.
This car was called the Flxette by it's builder, Flxible Coach Company of Loudenville, Ohio. The Flxette was built on a regular LeSabre station wagon chassis as opposed to the extended wheelbase used on the "Premier" line which would have made it the same size as the most popular hearses. Flxible took the LeSabre chassis and used Electra doghouses on their hearses. 1964 was the last year that Flxible produced hearses. After a few prototypes for 1965, Flxible chose to concentrate on their bus division.
This car runs great and has a new vinyl top and was painted two years ago. During the repaint, the car was returned to it's blue color after having been given a cheap coat of black paint previously. Since the repaint, the car has been stored indoors. The tires are good. The negatives are that the car needs some interior work, the front seat needs recovering and the carpet in the casket compartment needs replaced. After 48 years of use, the rear carpet shows wear. Ideally, the passengers compartment carpeting should also be replaced as it is the original as well.
The dash pad, door panels and headliner are all original and in good condition. The current mileage show 94,000. I beleive this to be true mileage and also know that the engine was also rebuilt in the '90's as was the transmission. The car was originally sold to a funeral home in Santa Barbara so I beleive this car to be a west coast car all it's life. In 1964, Flxible only built 68 of the short wheelbase Flxettes, so after 48 years this car is VERY rare. Please call Paul with any questions. He can be reached at 818-606-7395 (cell) or 818-893-3412 (home).

http://images.craigslist.org/5Q45K35F73na3F43J4c5f212df6a1d3111b53.jpg

Martin Harvey
05-23-2012, 06:18 PM
5500 !! It's a gift !!

Jeremy D. Ledford
05-23-2012, 08:42 PM
This is one Paul Nix's cars.

Brady D Smith
05-23-2012, 09:06 PM
I have driven that car. It is very nice and well worth the asking price.

Kerry Burch
06-24-2012, 01:04 PM
She has found a new home! We plan on driving her lots, fixing her up a bit as we go.

Bill Marcy
06-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Congratulations Kerry! Looks like you got yourself a nice little Flxette!

Keith Snyder
06-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Kerry or Adam....if you can get the information from the Flxible serial plate on this car, Tom McPherson can look it up in the Flxible production and delivery record book and find out who was the original owner, when it was delivered and who sold it. It's certainly a beautiful example and... a rare landau at that.

Keith Snyder
06-24-2012, 03:00 PM
I sent this on to Tom McPherson who replied saying:
"In looking through the 1964 Flxette production and delivery records, there were very few Flxette landaus produced in 1964. As a result, this one was easily located using the information already provided. The car was sold by C.V. Whithorne & Company (Flxible's California dealer) of Tarzana to Forjon Incorporated (Forjon Funeral Home?) in Santa Barbara, California and delivered to them on May 12, 1964. The vehicle is a 1964 Flxible-Buick Flxette Model FB620L-64... a straight Flxette funeral car. This vehicle bears Flxible's body number 1439, and motor number 4K-1121263. Of the 68 Flxettes produced and delivered in 1964, only 7 were straight end-load funeral coaches. There were 53 combination cars, 6 ambulances and 2 service cars but only 7 straight funeral coaches. The suggested retail price of this car was $7,465."
Now....perhaps the current or new owner can confirm that he has identified the correct vehicle.

Daniel Scully
06-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Kerry or Adam....if you can get the information from the Flxible serial plate on this car, Tom McPherson can look it up in the Flxible production and delivery record book and find out who was the original owner, when it was delivered and who sold it. It's certainly a beautiful example and... a rare landau at that

I need to get the info from my old 63 , I would be curios of it,s history.Thanks

Keith Snyder
06-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Tom McPherson has asked me to relay the following information to PCS Members:

Attention all Flxible Professional Car Owners and Enthusiasts - In conjunction with the Flxible Rally which is held every second year, Loudonville, Ohio is celebrating the cetennial of The Flxible Company on July 16-21 and cordially invites all Flxible owners and their cars to a homecoming for these iconic products. Included will be many Flxible-built buses and the opportunbity to tour the local museum viewing the Flxible displays, see where the vehicles were built and participate in a gala parade on Saturday, July 21. For further information or to confirm participation, please contact Kenny Utterback at kutterback@frontier.com or phone 419-651-4620. We look forward to the participation of members of the Professional Car Society and guarentee an enjoyable and memorable visit to Loudonville - the home of The Flxible Company.

Keith Snyder
06-24-2012, 04:17 PM
I need to get the info from my old 63 , I would be curios of it,s history.Thanks

daniel... That's easily done. Just post the data from the Flxible serial plate and then I'll get it to Tom. He's usually quick with a response.

Kerry Burch
06-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the information guys, very handy! My fiance, Nikki got her registered and insured this morning and is having a ball driving her around town! We would love to find name plates for that funeral home, any ideas? Also we want new curtains to spiffy her up a bit. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. The centennial in Ohio sounds interesting. Hmmmm.....

Sarah Snook
06-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the information guys, very handy! My fiance, Nikki got her registered and insured this morning and is having a ball driving her around town! We would love to find name plates for that funeral home, any ideas? Also we want new curtains to spiffy her up a bit. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. The centennial in Ohio sounds interesting. Hmmmm.....

Kerry, I'm not sure the current condition of your curtains, but whatever you do, DO NOT wash them in the washing machine. I know of way too many people that have tried washing their curtains to "spiffy" them up, only to have the fabric fall apart. These fabrics don't age well, so don't risk it. With my original 1966 curtains, I only ever would vacuum them with a curtain attachment that my vacuum had. Those curtains had discolorations on them, but i wasn't going to risk putting them in the wash. I finally found a pretty similar fabric and had them remade, so that was how I fixed my curtain situation in the end. It took me a years to find a close match with the fabric though, so I'm glad that I was able to keep the originals intact until the new curtains were completed.

As for nameplates, you can try your luck with ebay or calling livery services and hearse dealerships about getting old pairs of nameplates, but if you want them to say something specific like your last name or the last name of the original owner, your best bet is to get them custom made. The place to go is Names Unlimited (http://www.namesunlimitedcorp.com/categories/HEARSE-NAMEPLATES/). There are other sellers out there, but most of those sellers outsource all of their manufacturing from Names Unlimited. If you cut out the middleman and deal with Names Unlimited directly, you'll save a lot of money though. Many members have gotten their nameplates from them and I've never heard of a bad review. My nameplates are from there and they did a great job with them. They were even able to make them in the vintage font that I wanted. Good luck!

Brendan Martin
06-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Kerry, I echo Sarah's comments about Names Unlimited. My 63 had only one sign in the window. I had a new set made and they came out great.

John Royark JR
06-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Kerry, I echo Sarah's comments about Names Unlimited. My 63 had only one sign in the window. I had a new set made and they came out great.

I also recommend Names Unlimited. I have ordered 5 sets in the last 5 years or so and they are always top quality.

Kerry Burch
06-26-2012, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the information about names unlimited we will use them once we decide on a name! Forjon was a funeral supply company. Paul Nix probably knows the name of the funeral home I will call him also to tell him how happy we ate with the old girl! As for the curtains, the existing ones are just plain nasty! Need to find someone fairly local who can make us correct looking curtains. We are seriously considering making the trip to Loudonville for the centenary, 2300 miles for us, im sure she could breeze it! Any thoughts?