View Full Version : Unity spotlight

Jacob M. Fournier
03-11-2012, 12:06 AM
The recent thread on the roof mounted light and the discussion of white vs. black handles made me think of this relic I picked up many years ago. I'm thinking it wasn't sold for pro car use, as the tag calls it a "Sportlite", but it was made by the Unity Manufacturing Co. I was curious if anyone had an idea of it's vintage. The tag says Pat'd 1914 - 15 - 24 - 29, so I'm thinking 30s?

Russell Street
03-11-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm guessing that is one very old Unity you've got there. Maybe even one of the first ones made. No matter what, cool, very cool!!

John ED Renstrom
03-11-2012, 11:49 AM
look inside the mount and they will be a number cast in it. you can then go to the unity site and cross that number to what the mount was for. it had at one time a mirror on the back side. and looks to me to be a right hand door mount

Jacob M. Fournier
03-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the great tip. I've been to the Unity website before, but never noticed the reverse lookup - that's a very useful feature. The casting number is a 76L - which makes it a driver's side spotlight for assorted late 30s and into the 40s cars - Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Cadillacs, Chevrolets, and Hudsons among them.