PDA

View Full Version : '68 Cadillac flower car

Attila Bethlenfalvy
12-12-2011, 12:39 AM
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2744546691.html

Date: 2011-12-09, 10:38AM PST
Reply to: sale-wcjpb-2744546691@craigslist.org

I'm selling my 1968 Cadillac flower Car with a 1968 Coupe Deville parts car. I put in a new radiator, tuned it up and drove it to San Francisco from Willits (where the car is now) with out a problem. It runs great! Only around 12 of these were made in 68. These would carry all of the flowers from church to grave side.
It does have the typical rust at the bottoms on the front fenders and on tailgate. That's why the parts car. It has great metal if you want to go with a restoration.
Title is in my name and on Non Op, so no back fees.

This is perfect to haul your Harley,Lambretta,Vespa,or Cushman to that show.

Any questions. Please call me at 707=489-8644

http://images.craigslist.org/5V55T05Q23md3o13l7bc9351ac6b8c5691425.jpghttp://images.craigslist.org/5T55U05S43kf3o23l4bc963ce8a019bf71f48.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/5Z65X65R43n93pd3o7bcaff9805a2908e1cc8.jpghttp://images.craigslist.org/5Y05T25R13nf3k13lebca2903c635729f16e8.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not familiar enough with this vintage to venture a worthy coach builder guess. Non-commercial glass and body lines are throwing me off. Did McClain ever build long wheelbase flower cars..?

Ah the subtle irony of having anything flower related for sale in Frisco. ;)

Daniel Scully
12-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Was for sale here local , whent from Riverside to up North.

Shawn Koenig
12-12-2011, 01:05 AM
I was going to say, its an S&S. They made both standard and commercial glass flower cars in the mid 60s to early 70s.

Darlene Daniels
12-16-2011, 12:44 PM
i owned this car about 10 years ago. s&s. was in real nice shape when i sold it, except the stainless was missing.

Bill Marcy
12-16-2011, 04:49 PM
This car originally belonged to Berkemeyer in New Milford NJ, which is the next town over from Hackensack. Berkemeyer ran a good sized livery fleet for years. I never actually saw their flower cars in service, but I have seen this car, or another one they owned, it belonged to the Canton Classic Car Museum in Canton Ohio. At the time, they had a P.O.S. 1968 Superior combination for sale, which I was led to believe was a good car, except for a cut roof. I have often thought that I would have been better off with the S&S flower car.

Attila Bethlenfalvy
12-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Whoa Bill! You just tripped a dormant memory.

Bob Lichty (curator of Canton Classic Car Museum at time) took me across the street to their storage property, which I believe was an old dealership. We walked up a tight spiral automotive ramp to the second floor off back of building; I recall thinking how much smaller cars must have been when the building was constructed.

There were 4 vehicles he wanted to show me.

The first two were Cushman Tracksters. (Yes, Trackster - not Truckster.) Had a friend looking for one. Museum had 3 donated and was keeping the best example. Both of the others needed work; one good one could have been made between the two. They were fresh enough not to have been priced yet.

Next was a hearse. Can't for the life of me remember what it was - but I think it was early '70s. It had rust issues. This was the main reason for visiting yet what I recall least ironically.

Last vehicle (yet 1st we had walked past) was a '67 or '68 flower car. It sat along the front of the building, facing south toward the ramp, with the passenger side along the wall. It was fresh out of service, low mileage, a donation, and *gorgeous*. Stainless deck was impeccable. Dim lighting on second floor but through bank of windows along right side I thought it was either champagne or gold in color.

Part of the reason that I don't remember the hearse is because the condition of this flower car matched with a $2700 price occupied every thought. This occurred in either summer of '94 or '95. I had about $1500 and wasn't nearly as appreciative of flower cars then and didn't insult by making an offer. I didn't take pics as lighting was bad. Bob said he would let me know when it was outside being washed/detailed. That worked for me - as it provided more time to set money aside. When next I heard from Bob, it had already sold.

Does my description match the one you saw Bill? And is this S&S that car - which it has deteriorated to since???

John ED Renstrom
12-17-2011, 12:19 AM
if it's not taken care of anything will return to dust. the problem with cheap cars is people tend to treat them as such.

Bill Marcy
12-17-2011, 01:05 AM
Whoa Bill! You just tripped a dormant memory.

Bob Lichty (curator of Canton Classic Car Museum at time) took me across the street to their storage property, which I believe was an old dealership. We walked up a tight spiral automotive ramp to the second floor off back of building; I recall thinking how much smaller cars must have been when the building was constructed.

There were 4 vehicles he wanted to show me.

The first two were Cushman Tracksters. (Yes, Trackster - not Truckster.) Had a friend looking for one. Museum had 3 donated and was keeping the best example. Both of the others needed work; one good one could have been made between the two. They were fresh enough not to have been priced yet.

Next was a hearse. Can't for the life of me remember what it was - but I think it was early '70s. It had rust issues. This was the main reason for visiting yet what I recall least ironically.

Last vehicle (yet 1st we had walked past) was a '67 or '68 flower car. It sat along the front of the building, facing south toward the ramp, with the passenger side along the wall. It was fresh out of service, low mileage, a donation, and *gorgeous*. Stainless deck was impeccable. Dim lighting on second floor but through bank of windows along right side I thought it was either champagne or gold in color.

Part of the reason that I don't remember the hearse is because the condition of this flower car matched with a $2700 price occupied every thought. This occurred in either summer of '94 or '95. I had about $1500 and wasn't nearly as appreciative of flower cars then and didn't insult by making an offer. I didn't take pics as lighting was bad. Bob said he would let me know when it was outside being washed/detailed. That worked for me - as it provided more time to set money aside. When next I heard from Bob, it had already sold.

Does my description match the one you saw Bill? And is this S&S that car - which it has deteriorated to since???

I can only assume that it might be the same car. I did not actually go to the museum. But, I did buy that totally misrepresentd piece of s$%t 1968 Superior combo. When it arrived, the combo had mag wheels taken off of the flower car. It was a real disaster of a car that I wound up giving away, just to be done with it.
I sometimes get a kick out of it when I see Bob Lichty representing his classic car dealership called Motorcar Portfolio. It looks like a nice place to buy a classic car. Although I realize that a man named Marsh Beldon actually owned the museum, not Bob, but I can't forget the screwing I got.

Attila Bethlenfalvy
12-17-2011, 08:08 AM
May not be the same then Bill. The flower car I saw was 100% original like it had just come straight from a funeral home. The more I dwell on it now, the more I think it was one color as well.

Bill Marcy
12-17-2011, 08:49 AM
May not be the same then Bill. The flower car I saw was 100% original like it had just come straight from a funeral home. The more I dwell on it now, the more I think it was one color as well.

I never saw the flower car in person, just in pictures and from the pictures, it might be, but I believe there were several of them built.

Attila Bethlenfalvy
12-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Ah but the question really is how many flower cars did the Canton Classic Car Museum own in the '90s? ;)

Attila Bethlenfalvy
12-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Took liberty of emailing Bob Lichty (no offense intended Bill) out of curiousity. His response:

I don't think this is the flower car, very similar though. Seems to me it is a year newer. The hearse was a 66 with full windows and had the center top rear cut off to haul tall things with the side windows still in place.

Bill Marcy
12-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Took liberty of emailing Bob Lichty (no offense intended Bill) out of curiousity. His response:

I don't think this is the flower car, very similar though. Seems to me it is a year newer. The hearse was a 66 with full windows and had the center top rear cut off to haul tall things with the side windows still in place.

No offense taken, I thought Bob was a good guy. But, he may think the combo was a '66, however I did own it, cut roof and all, but it was a 1968 Superior Cadillac limousine-style combination in gray with a black vinal roof. And the flower car was also a 1968, which I believe was bought by a PCS member from that general area of the country, however, it may not be the same 1968 flower car as is currently being discussed.

Darlene Daniels
12-19-2011, 09:24 AM
the man that i purchased this flower car from told me that he did indeed buy it from the canton museum. apparently he bought the flower car to haul around his motorcycle and he removed all of the stainless and disposed of it. it was in really nice shape when i bought it from him, with the exception of the stainless being gone.

John Ehmer
12-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Same car from Canton!!!!!
I am very familiar with this car and then curator Bob Lichty. The cover didnt fit right back in 93 when I saw the car for the first time.
Bob had told me the previous owner had removed the decking, hauled his motorcycle and slept in a make shift compartment framed from plywood behind the rear drivers seat.
AT the time the Car had just been driven up from Texas and had TX stickers on it.
I told Bob it wouldnt be worth much with the guts ripped out of it and the cost to "TRY"..... and make it right would outway the value of the car.

John Ehmer