PDA

View Full Version : 1959 Eureka Cadillac Flower car

Harry Evans
08-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Just slightly out of my price range... That is 125 and three zeros, not failing eyes. Nice, but not necessarily that nice. Plus you'd expect perfection and it's got Eldorado hubcaps.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2555958348.html
(http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2555958348.html)

cadillac 1959 eureka flower car - $125000 (long branch )
Date: 2011-08-19, 7:50PM EDT
Reply to: sale-zjbaw-2555958348@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
1959 eureka flower car ,frame off restoration,everthing new or rebuilt,last eureka known to exist,price is firm.

Darren Bedford
08-23-2011, 02:27 AM
This is the same guy who sells the re-popped MM and Eureka emblems on eBay.

Not sure if he is a PCS member or not but a friend of mine bought a 1960 MM 3way hearse from him about 12 years ago. I don't know him at all.

His name is Anthony and he is in NJ.

He has listed a 1962 S/S Park Row 3way a few times on Ebay without it ever reaching reserve. I think it got to about 25,000.00 and it never sold.

He has a few other cars as well. You will likely see them up for sale at some point.

Josh Gentry
08-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Very Very interesting price, you would think for that price he would have wrote a little bit more in his ad.

Josh

John ED Renstrom
08-23-2011, 12:38 PM
weren't that many made and can't be that many of them left but still at times I think people are just trying to establish a market value for insurance purposes. not that he would not reluctantly let it go for that amount!

Philip Rishel
08-24-2011, 12:51 AM
Could this be the car that was restored in Canada (maybe Neil Parrish) and then couple years ago, was supposed to be sold to someone in Chicago area. There can't be that many restored eureka 59 flower cars out there.

Darren Bedford
08-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Phil

Do you mean Neil Elliot ?

Darren

David Smith
08-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Oh my!

Let me put that one on my Lottery wish list.

Josh Noiles
08-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Oh my!

Let me put that one on my Lottery wish list.

Here, here!

Philip Rishel
08-25-2011, 01:47 AM
Do you mean Neil Elliot ?

Darren - yeah, that's the name. Those pictures on the craigslisting are the same pictures you emailed to me more than a year ago. Has to be the same car.

Darren Bedford
08-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Same photos in his ebay emblem photos too.

Darren

Josh Gentry
08-25-2011, 05:18 PM
While I personally think $125,000 is a little high, I would give my right arm to owne this car. If any of ya'll know of anyone paying $125,000 for a right arm, let me know.

Josh

Darren Bedford
08-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Josh

Rethink your limb offering...

You should have both hands on the wheel and you need the right leg for the gas and brake pedals. That leaves your left leg up for sale.

:pat:

Darren

Paul Steinberg
08-25-2011, 11:11 PM
If Josh sold a limb for every car that he wished he had, he would be out of limbs by now, even if he were an octapus... :stars:

Josh Gentry
08-26-2011, 01:00 AM
If Josh sold a limb for every car that he wished he had, he would be out of limbs by now, even if he were an octapus... :stars:Boy are you ever right about that.

Josh

Nicholas Yassan
08-26-2011, 06:35 PM
its not rare enough, there were 3 of these but only 1 Chicago style made!

(insert laugh here)

Paul Steinberg
08-26-2011, 06:54 PM
What is the non Chicago style called, and could you please post a picture of the Chicago style? Specifically, what is the difference?? thanks Paul

Brad Ross
08-26-2011, 07:37 PM
What is the non Chicago style called, and could you please post a picture of the Chicago style? Specifically, what is the difference?? thanks Paul

The non-Chicago style was the "Eastern Style".

From page 207 of the Eureka book, a comparison of the two Eureka Cadillac Flower Cars for 1961. 18-inch western (Chicago) style on top, and 24-inch western style on bottom:
http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=1743

coachbuilt.com (http://www.coachbuilt.com/pro/professional.htm) has a good explanation of the flower car styles:

There were two types of
long wheelbase coupe style flower cars... Eastern and Western, or Chicago
style, as Chicago was where the Western style flower cars were most popular.
Chicago style cars had a large open well, with no deck, but often had a
canvas device like a tarpaulin which could be suspended at different levels
in the well. They also had the usual rear loading door or tailgate, and it
wasn't uncommon for them to have a pair of casket rollers mounted in the
door sill. If there was any hardware on the floor of the well, it was
usually skid strips, with no rollers. A Chicago style flower car could be
used as an open top casket car if desired, as the boot could be raised, and
usually had to be raised before opening the rear loading door, and this
provided access to load a casket into that compartment.

While Western style
flower cars were popular in Chicago, Eastern style flower cars weren't
uncommon in that city, either, and I've seen ads for firms showing their
fleets with Eastern style flower cars, as well as seeing footage of funerals
in that city using an Eastern style flower car. Naturally, an Eastern style
flower car was more versatile than its Western counterpart, as it could also
be used as a service car or first call car, or as a hearse. Eastern style
flower cars were usually also available with a fixed deck, and sometimes a
car was built with a fixed deck and an upholstered rear compartment, instead
of the compartment being lined with stainless steel or aluminum, and such a
car was generally referred to as a floral coach.

Shawn Blyler
08-27-2011, 06:08 AM
So, if I have this correct after reading the description, then the '63 Superior Coupe de Fleur we used to have was an eastern style car. I never knew there was a difference. Interesting. It would make sense, as this car was ordered new by a firm in Dubois, PA.

Paul Steinberg
08-27-2011, 09:52 AM
What became of that car? That would have been a good restoration project for Ed to do after he finished with Brenden's car. :thumb:

Shawn Blyler
08-27-2011, 10:57 AM
The car was given to a member of the Tri-State chapter and is currently in storage in a warehouse in Erie, PA. My step-father Jim acquired it in order to save it from the crusher and it sat in his garage for about 10 years until he got his '53 Ford service car, then the flower car went back outside. The car had factory cruise control and even the auto dimmer "gun" on the dash. It was in terrible shape, but was complete except for the air cleaner. Motor was free, but never tried to start it up. It was one of 28 Superior made that year, and was special ordered without the cross on the pillar behind the driver and passenger door. Funny enough, the vinyl top was perfect and there was not one bubble under it at any edge or anywhere else. Too bad that couldn't have been said for the rest of the car!

I don't think Ed would have been crazy enough to take on this project, nor do I think anyone would have the ton of money it would have taken to restore this car. Plus, we like Ed too much to do that to him. I am sure he is one of only a few who could have actually restored this car. When I say it was in terrible shape, I am not kidding. When my Mom first saw it, she said, "that has to be the worst looking thing I have ever seen." Ed would be working on this thing until he was 90 and it still wouldn't be finished. Here are a few more pics to give you nightmares:

John ED Renstrom
08-27-2011, 12:46 PM
it looks nasty in pictures makes you wounder how it looks in person. but it's reported that we know were sets of metal is for this car. the way superior constructed the car putting on a set of quarters would be easy enough. that mess in the rear sill might be a problem. then the fenders will need changed. if the frame and floor is in good shape then you got a rare flower car. the biggest problem is it looks so ugly that no one has driven the car for the last 20 years. thinking about it I have to say some one did a poor job of undercoating the car and water got behind it rusting out the lower panel. or it was buried in the mud some were for a long time. no reason for this style of car to have rust there. getting the quarter off a junk car would be easy with there construction to. but it would be a case of buying the donor car so you had it. not grabbing a few parts off and going home. both of the 59s in Hudson were this bad. the difference is they were in primer. but whee you got done with the doner car you would have a real nice ridding hay wagon.

Joe Hall
08-31-2011, 02:09 AM
So this answers my question about if there were any '59 flower cars, but were there only 4 made?

Also learned some about the differences in flower cars. Any threads here with good pics to show the differences?

Ken Novak
08-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Your best bet is to buy the Funeral Service and Flower Cars photo archive book recently published by Walter McCall, you can find it on both Amazon or Ebay. Much photos and data.