PDA

View Full Version : 58 Eureka LA, CA

Chris Elzie
06-02-2011, 08:59 AM
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/2415459979.html

Attila Bethlenfalvy
06-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Looks like same '58 that Steve Loftin turned up in Missouri about what, 6 months ago? Heard this coach was a gorgeous survivor that sold for $8500. At least one person was upset he didn't have a chance at buying.

Todd Merrifield
06-02-2011, 10:47 AM
For trying to sell a $10K car you'd think they would put a rebuilt carb and new battery in it? Who wants to just take their word that it will run after fixing only those two things? I don't get sellers sometimes. There's another listing where the seller says one of his cars "known issues" is that it needs a choke return spring. Really? You wouldn't pay $5 to fix that to get one line item off your "known issues" list?

John ED Renstrom
06-02-2011, 10:51 AM
the pictures still have the Missouri tag. intresting price

John Royark JR
06-02-2011, 10:58 AM
For trying to sell a $10K car you'd think they would put a rebuilt carb and new battery in it? Who wants to just take their word that it will run after fixing only those two things? I don't get sellers sometimes. There's another listing where the seller says one of his cars "known issues" is that it needs a choke return spring. Really? You wouldn't pay $5 to fix that to get one line item off your "known issues" list?

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Steve Loftin
06-02-2011, 01:10 PM
The price seems reasonable enough; if he paid $8,500 for it and wants $10,000, he's just trying to recoup his investment (including shipping from MO to CA).

The photos in the ad were taken at the swap meet where it was for sale.

Steve Loftin
06-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Looks like same '58 that Steve Loftin turned up in Missouri about what, 6 months ago? Heard this coach was a gorgeous survivor that sold for $8500. At least one person was upset he didn't have a chance at buying.

I know who one of them was...ME.

I found this girl at a swap meet last September in a small southwest Missouri town. The operator of the meet told me the price was $6,500. She's ex-Wessell F.H. in Pierce City, MO; she had solid metal, about 41,000 miles, a factory radio, and was last tagged in 1992. It was a running and driving car. It's an endloader that at some time during its service life had front and rear A/C and rear heat added, likely for "as needed" ambulance use.

When I got home that evening I sent photos of the find out to a group of procar friends via e-mail. This was supposedly a tight group that kept communications between ourselves. The longer I looked at the photos the more I decided that it was a car worth having, even though it wasn't a combination or ambulance. If nothing else it would have been a good investment, I thought.

The next day I decided I was sure about wanting the car, discussed it with the Mrs., and called to make an offer. I was told that it was already sold. It turned out that a member of the e-mail group had forwarded my find to a stranger (non-group member) who beat me to it. Vowing this would never happen again, I abandoned the e-mail group shortly thereafter. That said...

This car is in GREAT shape, and I hope a PCS member gets it!

(SL photos)

Adam Borkat
06-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Very cool coach. This is my favorite post war professional car, and I'd be happy owning (if I could afford) it. Price wise, the numbers don't add up though...

If it was sold last year for $6500, isn't $10K a little ambitious if nothing's been done, and it's a non-running coach with potentially more issues than disclosed? And you can't factor transportation costs into the value, no matter what it cost him. A seller usually doesn't recoup that; it's just a cost of ownership. Todd was spot-on with the fixing it first comments. Why wouldn't you spend a couple hundred before listing it? Would make me worry that there is more going on that maybe the current seller can't/doesn't want to fix (100% speculation here). Time and sitting can be a car's worst enemies...

Reminds me of my last coach a little. When I sold my '61 Olds, I sold it for about $6K, and in similar condition to this. It just needed tires, fluid changes, and a brake job. At the time, I didn't have the money to do this, so I sold it as-is. The buyer spent about $900 getting it on the road, and a few years later started trying to sell it. He turned down offers over $10K! Not a bad return when you can make $3K+ after putting 15K miles on a car. When I asked him about it, because I wanted to buy is back, he said the price was $18K. I said, good luck with that... Long story short, you will get more out of selling a car that runs than one that doesn't, so sometimes a few hundred dollars is a very wise investment!

PS Thanks for the fantastic pics, Steve!

Attila Bethlenfalvy
06-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Price may have been $6500 @ swap meet but it sold for $8500. There was no treason on your email group. It sold from word of mouth from a relative of the seller - which accounts for the price discrepancy; new out of state buyer not privy to $6500 price.

I did hear through the grapevine that more time had passed than your 'overnight' fence sitting as others respectfully awaited your decision before receiving contact info. True or not, from swap meet viewing to actual monetary transaction for '58 was closer to three weeks.

Thanks for posting the pics Steve. Solid Eureka landaus aren't common by any means.

Steve Loftin
06-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Price may have been $6500 @ swap meet but it sold for $8500. There was no treason on your email group. It sold from word of mouth from a relative of the seller - which accounts for the price discrepancy; new out of state buyer not privy to $6500 price.

I did hear through the grapevine that more time had passed than your 'overnight' fence sitting as others respectfully awaited your decision before receiving contact info. True or not, from swap meet viewing to actual monetary transaction for '58 was closer to three weeks.

Thanks for posting the pics Steve. Solid Eureka landaus aren't common by any means.

While I can't account for the version you have, I can tell you that my account is what transpired except for one fact: I found the car on Saturday, contemplated on Sunday, and called on Monday. In any case, this isn't the place for story comparisons or debate. Discussion regarding the e-mail group is closed. That said...

There have been sightings of a black '58 Eureka landau 3-way in Oklahoma for over 35 years now. I saw it in Tulsa in the 1970s and in Eufaula in the 1990s. Jim Jordan recently found one in Oklahoma City, and I have no reason to believe it's not the same car.

Steve Loftin
06-02-2011, 05:20 PM
PS Thanks for the fantastic pics, Steve!

Thanks for posting the pics Steve.

My pleasure, believe me...you're welcome! You can imagine my thrill as I saw it from the highway.

Daniel Scully
06-02-2011, 05:38 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...415459979.html

Looks like a pull out table? Was that a option in 58?

Rocky Fluegge
06-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Agh that is one of the rides i really want to add to the stable, Im trying to sell some stuff parts and a few cars to make room and get some more dough so i can build a new garage to have space for something like that. Thanks for another night of lost sleep on that ride!!!!:mad:

Nicholas Yassan
06-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Looking at the eureka book, that pull out section is on the last two rollers and would be factory.

Steve Loftin
06-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Now on eBay:

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?p=47835#post47835

Steve Loftin
07-08-2011, 12:29 AM
There have been sightings of a black '58 Eureka landau 3-way in Oklahoma for over 35 years now. I saw it in Tulsa in the 1970s and in Eufaula in the 1990s. Jim Jordan recently found one in Oklahoma City, and I have no reason to believe it's not the same car.

Here it is, as seen in Eufaula in 1996:

(SL photo)

Doug Lemon
07-08-2011, 01:10 AM
A PCS member did get this car!!!!! Try and keep up people.

Steve Loftin
07-08-2011, 01:12 AM
And here it is 20 years earlier in Tulsa. I knew that if I dug around long enough I'd find these! The description on the back says she's an endloader; at this stage in life, I trust my notes over my memory:

(SL photos)