PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Cadillac Hearse - $2800 (Flint)

Adam Borkat
05-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Odd color, but it looks like a really nice 3-way.

1971 Cadillac Hearse - $2800 (Flint) (http://flint.craigslist.org/cto/2405676338.html)
Date: 2011-05-27, 11:10AM EDT
Reply to: sale-mcj38-2405676338@craigslist.org

1971 Cadillac Hearse 472 CI engine, automatic threeway Superior. Super clean engine bay, and interior. some rust on bottom of doors. 96,000 miles car runs and drives excellent.

http://images.craigslist.org/3ka3of3l85Z05Q65X2b5r684ecd32ef691019.jpghttp://images.craigslist.org/3kc3o93pf5Y45Q45P3b5r0787fd98af771caf.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/3nb3p13od5V35P65R2b5r47541c1d97411b17.jpghttp://images.craigslist.org/3k03m23p55Z55X55R6b5r3ae1381097bb1b5c.jpg

Richard Vyse
05-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Hey, that's Tom Boaz's hearse. Check with Brady Smith I'm sure he can tell you all about it. I saw this car and the engine area is super clean.

Brady D Smith
05-31-2011, 10:40 PM
It was owned by Bayliff funeral home in Ohio and was the donor for the Bayliff Packard. That's why the table and mound were taken out. It was then sold to a Packard enthusiast in Warren Ohio who was also in the flower business and used it to deliver flowers. His name was Ed Skrocki. Davison Michigan funeral director Jim Hansen bought it a few years ago, in fact I drove to Skrocki's place with Jim to buy the car. Also in the garage at the time was the unusual Lincoln trimmed mercury that Pat martin ended up with. Jim spent well over two grand getting the engine and mechanicals in order before selling the car to Tom, mostly because he couldn't get the table re-installed. The car runs like a dream last I knew. It need the table reinstalled and needs some body work and paint. A real buy at 2800.00 in my opinion.

Jim Tighe - Deceased 1942 - 2012
06-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Was this car the donor for Bayliff 1 or Bayliff 2? How many pieces from this car were used in the Bayliff? I have always understood that the Superior donors were combos. ( I owned Bayliff 1 for a couple of years. ) Thanks for any info.

Jeremy D. Ledford
06-01-2011, 10:22 AM
I was thinking one of the Bayliff's that Patrick has (thinking the Fleetwood maybe) utilized a Superior three way table as an extend table?

Also, the 71 Superior Crown Sovereign of Ann Keel's (formerly the late John Keel) was as well a Bayliff Funeral Home car.

Josh Gentry
06-01-2011, 11:25 AM
This would make a great car to go with my 71 Superior combo. Oh to have plenty of storage space again.:cry:

Josh

Rick Franklin
06-01-2011, 11:34 AM
This would make a great car to go with my 71 Superior combo. Oh to have plenty of storage space again.:cry:

Josh

"Drop the check book And step away from the pro-car!"

Patrick J. Martin
09-18-2011, 05:50 PM
I don't know how I missed this post the first time around, but somehow I did. Anyway, hopefully better late than never will prove to be true here.

Regarding the Bayliff information that has been posted in this thread, while its not exactly incorrect, its not 100% correct either.

Regarding the 1971 Superior, yes it was a Bayliff Funeral Home car, and yes it did donate parts to one of the Bayliff-built hearses, but it was not either of the Packard combos. The three way table was removed and built into the 1984 Bayliff Cadillac hearse, in which it serves only as an extend table. The 1971 Superior was the Bayliff Funeral Home's vehicle that the 1984 Bayliff Cadillac was built to replace. PCS member Ed Skrocki of Warren, Ohio bought the car without the table from the funeral home. The 1984 Bayliff Cadillac served the funeral home until 2005, at which point it became part of the Patrick Martin collection :)

Regarding Ed Skrocki, yes he did also own the 1977 Sharpe Lincury hearse that is now part of my collection. The first time I visited Ed and the Lincury, he hadn't sold the 1971 Superior yet,so of course I checked it out too, and asked Ed what the history of the car was. He told me about buying it from Bayliff Funeral Home, and that the table was missing. I actually started laughing when I told him I knew where the table was!

Now regarding the Bayliff family, there are three Bayliff brothers, Budd, Thomas, and John. There is also a Bayliff sister, but she plays no role in either pro-cars or the funeral business. Budd went into the car business, while Thomas and John both went into the funeral business. Thomas opened the Thomas E. Bayliff Funeral Home of Spencerville, Ohio, which was the home of the 1971 Superior and the 1984 Bayliff Cadillac. John opened the Bayliff & Son Funeral Home of Cridersville, Ohio, which was the home of the burgundy Superior that is now known as the John Keel car.

The story gets even more involved when in 1988, Thomas Bayliff formed a partnership with another Ohio funeral director by the name of Dick Eley, for the purpose of buying up other area funeral homes. Among the funeral homes that came under Bayliff & Eley ownership was Long & Folk, which was the home that had the Bayliff Packards built for them!

Now in regards to Budd Bayliff and his company, Bayliff Custom Automotive, he is best known, among PCS anyway, for his pair of Packard combos, and understandably so. But he is credited with having built five hearses in total, as well as having done most of the work on the Superior carved coach of 2007, and he is a minor parts supplier for the S&S Florale flower cars. As for the five that he is credited with having built, two were the Packard combos, one was the 1984 Cadillac that he built for his brother Thomas, he converted a Chevrolet Suburban into a first call car and back-up hearse for a Lima, Ohio funeral home, and he built the first of two prototypes for the never-put-into-production 1983 Miller-Meteor front-wheel-drive hearse.

So, hopefully you can see that while the Bayliff name is certainly an unusual name that seems to pop up again and again when discussing the Ohio funeral business, and cars owned or built by those businesses, there are three separate and distinct Bayliff enterprises that have no official relationship with one another.

Matthew Coon
09-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Regarding the Bayliff information that has been posted in this thread, while its not exactly incorrect, its not 100% correct either.

Since one of my grandmothers was a Bayliff, Patrick, I was pretty much thinking that very thing after reading your reply. Coach builder Budd Bayliff has 3 licensed funeral director brothers, not 2. Their parents first became funeral home owners in 1938, and it wasn't until the late 1960's that brothers Tom and James became funeral home owners themselves, in Spencerville and Tipp City, Ohio, respectively, with brother John working alongside their parents at the family's Cridersville, Ohio funeral home.

In 1988 Tom Bayliff and new partner Dick Eley had acquired the Charles D. Siferd Funeral Home and the Patrick Heinl Funeral Home in Wapakoneta, later closing the Siferd facility. It wasn't until 2001 that the Bayliff & Eley partnership purchased the Long & Folk Funeral Homes' Wapakoneta facility, while the Long & Folk Funeral Home in nearby St. Marys was purchased by the Miller family who own the Miller Funeral Home there.

Patrick J. Martin
09-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks for your reply, Matt. This is the first I've heard of a James Bayliff, or of Tipp City, Ohio. I guess you do learn something new everyday. What is the name of the Bayliff funeral home in Tipp City?

You're absolutely correct that the Bayliff & Eley partnership didn't buy Long & Folk right away in 1988. I didn't mean to imply that they did, but I suppose I could have been more clear on that. After all, the second of the Packard combos wasn't delivered until 1988, and they were definitely Long & Folk cars. Long & Folk sold the first of the Packard combos before being bought out, but the second one was still in their garage when it came under Bayliff & Eley ownership. It was Tom Bayliff who decided that the combined firms didn't need so many cars, and that the Packard could go.

When I later met Tom Bayliff, I mentioned that I was surprised that he didn't want to hold on to it. He told me that initially he did want to, but came to the conclusion that he had too many cars (collector cars that is) already. It was the fact that I ended up with the Packard and my relationship with PCS and what PCS stands for, that when Tom decided it was time to retire the 1984 Cadillac, he called and offered it to me first.