PDA

View Full Version : 1961 Buick Flxible Hearse---Kijiji

Kyle Wilkinson
04-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Found this on Kijiji. It's in eastern Ontario.

http://windsor.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1961-Buick-Hearse-W0QQAdIdZ277362561

Keith Snyder
04-26-2011, 10:57 AM
I contacted Tom McPherson this morning when I saw this ad on the message board. He checked the Flxible production records and told me that this car (body number 1115) was delivered to the Nicholl's Funeral Home in Midland, Ontario on October 31, 1960 by Andrew (Parker) Baile - the Flxible distributor for Ontario and Quebec at the time. The car is a Model FB620L-61 - a straight end-loading landau funeral coach. He said that these were relatively rare as most such units were built as combination cars. These were only 51 examples of the Flexette built and sold in the 1961 model year....or at least that's what I'm being told and what I read in the Flxible book. Just thought that this may be of interest to someone.

John ED Renstrom
04-26-2011, 11:03 AM
I have that vary same pictures of that car. it sold out in Washingon a few years ago.

Keith Snyder
04-26-2011, 11:54 AM
I have that vary same pictures of that car. it sold out in Washingon a few years ago.

Now, that's interesting. The car in today's ad (according to the body number on the serial plate pictured in the ad) was origionally sold and delivered in Midland, Ontario, Canada. You are saying that this car was later sold in Washington and has since returned to Canada? That seems unlikely but, anything's possible.

Keith Snyder
04-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Just got an e-mail from Tom McPherson with more information on the 1961 Flxible Flxette. According to him, after going through the Flxible delivery lists, there were only 17 Flxette landaus delivered during 1961. Fifteen were straight landaus and two were panoramic landaus (with wrap-around rear quarter windows). Of these, only 1 was built as an ambulance - a panoramic landau - (FB630L-61) , 9 were combination cars (FB610L-61) and the remaining 7 were straight end-loading funeral cars (FB620L-61). According to these statistics, the car listed for sale in Canada may be the only surviving example of a straight, end-loading Flxette hearse left. It is possible. Just thought that this information may be of interest to someone out there.

Josh Horton
04-27-2011, 10:51 AM
I would love to own it. Wish it was closer. Love the color.

Cary Livingston
04-27-2011, 11:19 AM
That car was a 64 Flxette that Mike H bought....but it was blue.....
This car came from CW ( via Spitler in PA) and is one of 3 61 Flxette landaus known to exist (I believe)

At CW
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9121/61flxetteecw.jpg

The car Tom Mc is most likely thinking of.....rotting away in Ont in 2008, which was a straight endloader.
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/3112/61flxettelandaucanada20.jpg

Ex John E 61 shot in 94
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6/61flxetteland.jpg

*****Note the styling differences between the early and later model 61's***********************

The car Ed was thinking of....64 not a 61.
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/4143/64flxettenix020.jpg

Keith Snyder
04-27-2011, 11:59 AM
That's interesting. It's nice to actually see there cars. I remember going down to Loudonville when they were building professioal cars, looking through the big open doors and seeing them come down the line. If we could get the body number of any of these cars, McPherson could tell us who bought them, who sold them, the motor numbers and when they were delivered. I believe that he can do this for any Flxible because he has the origional factory production/delivery sheets.

Todd Merrifield
04-27-2011, 12:05 PM
I could swear that 61 was for sale in Detroit a few years ago, both on Craigslist and Ebay. I saved a picture of it because I was interested in it, but I don't have it any more. The guy had the same story, that it was the only one known to still exist. It was for sale for quite some time, like a year or more. I'm almost positive it was covered on the old board.

Edit: The one I saw was indeed the Spitler/CW car, for sale in Michigan in 2007.

Dwayne Brooks
04-27-2011, 05:17 PM
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9121/61flxetteecw.jpg

I remember finding this '61 on the CW Coach website years ago (actually it was that very picture on the site)... called about it & it was already sold.

John ED Renstrom
04-28-2011, 12:53 AM
the pictures I Posted is the same one used in this add. I got that pictured off e-bay a few years ago. I was thinking about the car them as it was close to were my son was living. he could have kept it for me. I just found it strange that the same pictures would appear. I think this add is a hoax and a copy of the-bay one . but that just my opinion. the rest of you can have your own.

Dwayne Brooks
04-28-2011, 02:28 AM
the pictures I Posted is the same one used in this add. I got that pictured off e-bay a few years ago. I was thinking about the car them as it was close to were my son was living. he could have kept it for me. I just found it strange that the same pictures would appear. I think this add is a hoax and a copy of the-bay one . but that just my opinion. the rest of you can have your own.
I'm with you Ed... that Kijiji website is scary, i've found & reported 3 coaches on there for sale that actually belonged to online friends... the images were taken from our websites and bogus ads were posted using them.

Keith Snyder
04-28-2011, 09:08 AM
The photograph of the serial plate in the ad showed the body number as 1115. According to Flxible records, car 1115 was delivered to Midland, Ontario and today, the seller is also in Ontario. It doesn't look suspicious to me. Car sold and delivered in 1961 in Canada and the same serial number car is for sale today in Canada. However, you guys may know something that I don't. I'm just judging on the serial plate.

Kyle Wilkinson
04-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Picton, where the car is for sale is only about 200 miles from Midland. Doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility this car is legit. Kijiji is quite like craigslist. Buyer beware. I personally have never had any issues using it, buying and selling. I guess the only way to know for sure would be if someone were to call the seller and go out and take a look. Unfortunately it is 5+ hours from here.

John ED Renstrom
04-28-2011, 11:26 AM
this is why you keep track of the cars. i snagged that pictures because it went in my flexible collection and I was think about buying it. here years latter the same pictures is used as the lead in on a different add. with the serial number of a car sold in Canada. on a site known like craigslist here is to be ripe with fraud. yes buyer beware and guard your funds. I put that picture in my album in jun of 2005. if it is the same car being sold a lot of changes could have happened in 6 years.

Todd Merrifield
04-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Given how rare these are, it is my opinion that the first picture in the ad is of the blue car that Cary posted a picture of, which is the one I saw for sale in Michigan. All the other pictures are of a silver car with a blue interior, possibly the same car that is in the second picture Cary posted, which is a silver car that was in Ontario at the time. The ad even says the car is silver, while the first picture is clearly a blue car. Perhaps the seller wanted to show what a nice version of the car would look like, but failed to mention it? Although the fact that there are no side shots of a silver car is suspect to me.

Cary Livingston
04-28-2011, 05:26 PM
I will post interior pictures later......the car for sale is indeed the "silver" car that was for sale in 2008.....just 3 more years of rusting away...the tell tale sign was the position of the wipers.......more after dinner.....

Cary Livingston
04-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Burp......dinner was good :) Ok....here is the 61 Flxette in mid 90's in Chatham Ont. This is the ONLY 61 I have seen with this rear bumper configuration (other than the 61 Flxette pictured in advertising) This possibly could be the 1st ( or earliest) Flxette landau for 61. It might of been rear ended with body alterations as well.Every other Flxible for 61 I have seen used a front bumper mounted on the rear.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2419/61flxtt.jpg

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/5929/61flxettead.jpg

Rest of pictures from 2008, note wiper position with interior shots in current ad.
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3112/61flxettelandaucanada20.jpg

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/3112/61flxettelandaucanada20.jpg

Daniel Scully
04-28-2011, 09:22 PM
i snagged that pictures because it went in my flexible collection

Here are a few pics of the Flextte I sold to Mike H.

Keith Snyder
04-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Cary may have something there. If you look at the 1961 Flxette photos in the Flxible book, you can see what he is talking about. According to McPherson, the Ontario Flxette is body number 1115 and was the second Flxette built that year. He says that in checking the company's delivery records, the very first 1961 Flxette built bore body number 1114, was a Flxette limousine combination car (FB610-61) and went to the Frank Funeral Home in Mt. Carroll. Illinois. The third one, body number 1116, was also a limousine combination car which went to the Zaumetzer-Sprague Funeral Home in Au Sable Forks, New York. They obviously altered the rear bumper design for manufacturing ease and to save money after the initial few vehicles were built. It's not like this hadn't happened with coachbuilders before and for much the same reasons.

Todd Merrifield
04-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Wow, that car went downhill fast! Mid 90's it was a show car, now it's a $1500 hulk behind a barn? Kinda makes you wonder what happened?

Darren Bedford
04-28-2011, 11:43 PM
A lot can happen to a car in 18 years. In a barn or outside.

What a shame but what's done is done.

Picton is about 3 hours East of Toronto.

Darren