PDA

View Full Version : 1977 Dodge ambulance

Adam Borkat
04-19-2011, 10:19 AM
A van, but I thought it was interesting enough to share.

Ambulance for Sale - $2000 (Fonda, Ia) (http://siouxcity.craigslist.org/cto/2276965746.html)
Date: 2011-03-20, 10:52PM CDT
Reply to: sale-xm5xd-2276965746@craigslist.org

77 Dodge 1 Ton Ambulance for sale!
93,000 miles with 360 engine
There are multiple storage compartments. There is a little rust on left side. The light bar is gone, but all other lights that are pictured do work. There is also lights in the back part of the ambulance the lights the whole enclosed storage area. We used this ambulance to haul or racecar trailer to racetracks and loved the inside storage. Runs great.

http://images.craigslist.org/3k93m83o25Q05P25S5b3kb5d7dfe6e4c012cc.jpghttp://images.craigslist.org/3n53m13p65Z05R25S1b3k2a183229db7a1b8b.jpg

Steve Lichtman
04-19-2011, 11:30 AM
* Well, sort-of a Pinner, anyway. It's a Mid-Continent Conversion. But part of it was from Pinner, in a manner of speaking

As some of you heard, in 1970, Pinner Coach built van ambulances for the state of Kansas (one of which is now owned by Ron Devies), and their local distributor in Kansas City was Gene Knisely (sp?). After the demise of Pinner Coach, Tom Pinner remained in the ambulance business, and connected with Gene to form Mid-Continent Conversion. Tom brought the one thing that survived the Pinner plant fire - the mold for the fiberglas roof for their hightop Cadillacs, and MCC used that mold to make the roofs for their line of Dodge van conversions. That's what this van is.

Tom Pinner eventually moved on, and Gene changed the name of the company to Stratus Specialty Vehicles, and continued building ambulances well into the '90's. (And by the way, those little lights over the roof of Pinner's Cadillac ambulances were called "Stratus Lights", so even that continued part of the Pinner legacy!)

Dennis Svoboda
04-22-2011, 12:19 PM
I worked in a Stratus ambulance back in the late 70s. I really did not care for them because the owner of the company I worked for traded the 73 Criteron for two Stratus ambulances. I have a company photo in front of the Stratus and our 73 MM Lifeliner, and a sales flyer from Mid Continent showing the Stratus ambulance. Also, to the best of my knowlege, Gene still has the 76 S&S I use to work in on his back lot. Somewhere I have a photo of it. I can't attach photos in Threads but if someone who can would give me their email I will send them so they can attach for me.

Denny Shira
05-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Lasalle ambulance service in buffalo,n.y.had a large fleet of these rigs.owner doug baker had them built with six cylinder motors for fuel efficiency.they were all set up with the same cabinetry.this made it easy for medics to work out of as you found all equipment/supplies in the same place in all units! also very distinctive lettering scheme made lasalle's rigs highly visible. I have pictures,but will have to dig them out when i get time,and will post them at a later date.:893USA-Smilie-thumb

Ron Devies
05-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Dennis, who was the babe in the cut offs.........hot! Quite a few cuties working in that company, I was employed at the wrong place for sure. My boss had threatened to become a Stratus dealer at one time and we would have to work out of them. I protested insisting they looked like Easter eggs with wheels.

Richard Vyse
05-02-2011, 01:57 PM
I drove one of these as well in the 70's with Alert Ambulance in Flint, MI. Personally I like the Babe in the sundress. Reminds me of Terri. :thumb:

Ron Devies
05-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Who was the playa in the red shirt? Looks like he was taking care of two of them. He is my new hero!

Darren Bedford
05-02-2011, 07:48 PM
I agree with Ron... the one with the shorts !

Ya baby,
Darren

Richard Vyse
05-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Who was the playa in the red shirt? Looks like he was taking care of two of them. He is my new hero!

That's Brady.

Ron Devies
05-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Hahahaa I could see that Brady the Playa!

Adam Borkat
05-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Repost with interior pictures:

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/2346237000.html

http://images.craigslist.org/3n13mb3l95P35X05R6b4p5ade3d3f757d1ddd.jpghttp://images.craigslist.org/3n43p53ob5W05X65R2b4p0761378d2ebb141d.jpg

Mike Stevens
05-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Ron,
What about the guy with the coffee mug. That blonde is smiling about something. Just where IS Mr Mug's other hand?
Mike

Dennis Svoboda
05-05-2011, 01:52 PM
First of all, a Thank You to Paul for posting these pictures.

For all of you wondering about the "babes" in my photo...... well age has taken it's toll and I don't remember. We took this photo at a staff meeting that we all were informed that we were being sold to Eastern Ambulance, Lincoln's other ambulance provider. This was in 1979 and Eastern Ambulance became the sole ambulance provider.

Lincoln Fire & Rescue took over in 2001 as the sole ambulance provider but the transfers became too much for them. Not enough room here to tell this story. In 2002 a private company came in to do the transfers.

But I digress from the orginal post. From the left is Bill, our manager and I am the second one and that is when I had hair. At least in the front. My partner that evening is next to me, Pam. Next to Pam is Bunny(Yes that is her real name). The second from the right is John who left and became a firefighter with Lincoln Fire & Rescue. Next to John's Left is Steve who worked for us part time and was full time with the railroad. Bill, Pam and I were the only ones in the picture that stayed with Eastern after the sale. The 76 S&S was one of Eastern's cars and after the sale took effect our station was issued that car. That was my favorite car. Eastern took the two Stratus ambulances and put them in as back up's. About a year later they got rid of them and purchased three identical 1976 Superiors. If you look at my profile you will see one of them. Steve Loftin can also tell you about those cars.

Dennis Svoboda
05-05-2011, 02:03 PM
My boss had threatened to become a Stratus dealer at one time and we would have to work out of them. I protested insisting they looked like Easter eggs with wheels.

We called them pregnant turtles. :D