PDA

View Full Version : 1962 Pontiac flower car Phoenix/$6000

Harry Evans
04-07-2011, 07:35 PM
I've not seen this one before:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/2230765623.html
Can't the the rear to tell if all the equipment/stainless is still there though.

Joe Melanson
04-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Here is the seller description for the vehicle from the gentleman's Jan. 09 Ebay listing:

This is a 1962 Pontiac Catalina Flower car. According to the name plate it was built by Stageway / Armbruster. I have the PHS documnetation on the vehicle. It was sold at Greiner Motor Co in Ft. Smith Arkansas. This car was special ordered with heavy duty suspension, 15 inch Kelsey - Hayes wheels, and 4 ply double white eagle goodyear tires. Other factory options included power brakes, power steering, electric clock, custom steering wheel, radio, windshield washer, and E-Z-Eye glass. This is a very unique car and complete however it does have some rust issues in the lower rockers and rear area where the flowers were put in and out of car. Was used for special funerals and possibly a movie star or presidential flower car. I have a article stating that 10,000 dollars and 8 months of time was put into building this one off proto type flower car. Thats alot of money for back then.
I did some searching and found an ariticle here is what it says about this particular flower car.
from iternet website coachbuilt.com
During the early 1960s Armbruster started building their higher-priced coaches on Pontiac chassis and even built a prototype Pontiac flower car built using a 2-door 1962 Catalina sedan. The unusual car featured the 2-door sedan's roofline and front doors and also included a pair of smaller rear side doors for easier access to the space behind the driver's seat where a pair of forward-facing jump seats were installed even though though the car was not intended to be used as a limousine. The rear side doors didn't include any upper section with windows, and ended at the beltline, making the longer front doors necessary for access to use the jump seats. Instead of an Eastern style deck, the vehicle had an open stainless-steel well similar to the ones found on McClain flower cars and may have been removable as well.

Also, here are some pics of the side & rear of this vehicle.

John Royark JR
04-08-2011, 10:09 AM
This would be a great car to have. It was the only one built, and at one time it was owned by a PCS member sometime in the 80s.

Paul Steinberg
04-08-2011, 02:29 PM
I was told by someone that had a family member go to look at the car, that there is quite a bit of rust repair that will be required to bring this car back. This in itself might not be the deal breaker for someone with deep pockets, but for the average collector that has to pay someone else to do the work, it might be. I would want to put my own eyes on this to confirm what has been said by this person. One persons opinion about rust, living in a relatively rust free area is usually different from the opinion of a person that lives in the rust belt. It is a beautiful car, however, cost is always a factor for the average person. Today, a gallon of automotive paint can cost between $350 - $800 depending on color and type of paint.
I also wonder if it originally had one or two seats in the rear. The picture only shows one.

Joe Melanson
04-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Ask & you shall receive

A few more saved pics

Joe Melanson
04-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Here are pics of the floorboards from the passenger side and a pic of the driver side.

Don't see much visible rust out except possibly the left rear.

Rocky Fluegge
04-08-2011, 04:30 PM
That is pretty wild thanks for the pics. After seeing that i could make a flower car out of the 60 desoto i dragged home!!

Dave Csimbok
06-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Gee, to think I owned that car for years and had a hard time selling it back in the 90's.
Saved it from the scrapyard back in 1987.

Dave Csimbok
06-11-2013, 10:00 PM
This would be a great car to have. It was the only one built, and at one time it was owned by a PCS member sometime in the 80s.

That would have been me.