http://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/2054139736.html

Steve Loftin
11-11-2010, 08:33 PM
with extend table looks like a nice rare car

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/2054139736.html

My guess is a combination.

Tony Karsnia
11-11-2010, 09:37 PM
I'd say combination, too, but I can see where the rear interior shot fooled you, Chris. For some of the neat features S&S coaches had, the reversible floor panels in these combinations were not among them. They were large, heavy, and cumbersome. We had a '76 Park Hill combination, which we kept in ambulance mode most of the time. Reversing the floor panels was a two-man job for sure. In an emergency I would have sooner rolled the cot in over the rollers than worrying about flipping the floor panels.

Jeremy D. Ledford
11-12-2010, 04:29 PM
And ya just don't "flip" the panels over in an S&S combo ether. They have to be flipped in a sequence too.

Brady D Smith
11-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Look closely and you can see the roof plug. Cot hook too. Combination for sure.

Brendan Martin
11-13-2010, 09:32 AM
If a car was in hearse mode, and a request for an ambulance came in,how long did it take to get the car ready?

Tony Karsnia
11-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Depended on the type of car and how well equipped it was. A Superior Pontiac Consort with single beacon and casket rack could be converted much faster than, say, this S&S with those huge floor panels.

Another factor was the person(s) doing the converting. I'm sure there were more than a few people who were "thrown" into action and had little or no idea of how to operate the rig. The kid in that "EMERGENCY!" scene who brought the '59 S&S out to the rural traffic accident is a prime example. In real life, he might not even have known how to activate the light and siren.

Coachbuilder advertising for combinations typically read something like, "Can easily be converted within minutes." They just never said how many!

Russell Street
11-13-2010, 01:41 PM
We used to put the 2 Beacons on the roof, run the nut up on them, plug them in, then throw the cot in the back, one guy would drive the other would be stowing things away enroute.

Phone ringing to "on the road" ........less than 2 minutes.

If a car was in hearse mode, and a request for an ambulance came in,how long did it take to get the car ready?

Paul Steinberg
11-13-2010, 01:52 PM

The funeral home that ran the ambulance in Hillsboro NH, it took them between 15 - 30 minutes to be on the road. If you didn't die by the time that they got to you, there was a good chance that you would be dead by the time that they got to the hospital, which was about 40 minutes away. Many times, if you were seriously injured, they would just look at you in the ambulance, and tell the driver to continue onto Boston General. Back then (1962) they didn't have trauma centers, nor did the local hospitals have the facilities or staff to do much more than general treatment. The country doctor that you saw for your cold, was also the guy that set your broken bones, or took out your appendix...

Rick Franklin
11-13-2010, 05:39 PM
i would think it would make more sense to leave a combo in "ambulance mode" and convert to hearse mode as needed.

Russell Street
11-13-2010, 05:47 PM
In the little 4 car fleet that I started in, 2 cars were always set up as ambulances (unless we needed the 3rd. or 4th. hearse), if we got a third ambulance call that's when the "drill" began.

Keep in mind we were primarily a livery service, the coach rentals paid for the emergency coaches many times over. That still held true when I was in the business in the 70's. Those beautiful blue combos allowed me to run the cars with all the "blinky thingys and whoop whoops".

Attila Bethlenfalvy
11-13-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm literally less than 20 minutes away from this '76 currently. Emailed when the ad came out and was going to wait to take pictures before posting here. No response as of yet.

Looks like a combination to me with separation on the floor where the attendant's seats are folded flat, complete with hinges. ;)

Jeremy D. Ledford
11-13-2010, 08:42 PM
i would think it would make more sense to leave a combo in "ambulance mode" and convert to hearse mode as needed.

Thats what most of the funeral homes around here did exactly!