PDA

View Full Version : 1961 Chrysler ambulance

Adam Borkat
09-14-2010, 10:56 AM
1961 Richard Bros. Chrysler Briarean (http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/1951614645.html)

John ED Renstrom
09-14-2010, 12:12 PM
that one is all most close enough to go look at. tempting price to but like him way to may projects.

Rocky Fluegge
09-14-2010, 04:08 PM
I thought about buying that car about a year and a half ago. I was wondering in the back of my head if he still had it. I also have too many projects, if a new one comes home it has to be nice and moving under its own power. And the other factor that kept me from buying it is i just finished restoring-customizing my 62 300 about a year prior, and the car have alot of similaritys and i dont like doing things multiple time's. On to a diffrent car, then with the help of Dwayne the 56 olds found a new home.

Paul Steinberg
09-14-2010, 04:32 PM
From the little that I have learned about the Richard Brothers car is that most of them were either hearse or combination cars. Very few were built as straight ambulances I have been told. The ambulances had roof lights that utilized the 1958 Chevrolet Impala tail lamp assembles.

Steve Lichtman
09-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Available with or without the demountable tunnels!

Dave Lisiecki
09-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Hi, guys. I havenít fallen of the face of the earth, but it may seem so. It even seems that way to me. Iíve talked to Kurt on and off since he got that car, and Iím so glad he saved it. My 60. In similar state, came out of Nebraska and I purchased it out of Iowa I think. I hope this goes to a good home, and it will probably be finished before mine. The good part about these is that thereís a loyal following of Forward Look era cars, and some sources for restoration parts. Itís kind of hit-and-miss, but itís not too bad. Except the optional rear door area (every one Iíve seen have the optional fiberglass rear door) the sheetmetal is standard wagon, and pretty much standard 4-dr hardtop. Glass is stock. Only the roof was raised, so headliner is a bit of work. There are two sources Iíve seen for floorpan patch panels, but again, some parts are shared for several makes, models, and years. I bought some from one source (not the one on ebay) that are pretty decent. Thereís some learning curve involved, for example, how to remove the door handles, and the differences between 60-61-62 interiors, and other variations. Wagon taillights are a unique part number, and 61 wagons (only) used the 60 taillights. You can tell how excited I am. Iím part-way into re-popping a very short run of roof light pods (with help form a member in the Northland Chapter who has a 60 and a 61), that were an option. Iíd be happy to share with a future owner what Iíve learned so far. I almost bought an ex-navy 61 years ago. Despite the advertising for rust prevention, these are often so rusty. Kurt's, like mine, has a felt-type covering over the rear floor area. Kind of weird. The black 62 (that was originally blue) that sold recently (I knew that guy, too) said his used a skeleton rack when used as a hearse. Mine has plugged holes for the roof pods. I wish I could buy this one, but ONE project is too much for me right now. The engine turns, and thatís one step ahead of mine. Thanks, Rick, for alerting me to this post and reminding me about this site

John ED Renstrom
09-15-2010, 12:09 AM
as I said I would love to have it but I'm in over my head now with the 53 and Brendons 63 and my 60 willies my farmed out 72 cb and the new 68 MM. at least the 86 H&E is all togather. can't do it but I do know a sourse of 413 parts not cheat but they are there.

Dave Lisiecki
09-17-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm trying to remember if this ’61 originally had the holes for the corner roof lights or the Beacon-Ray up front. I’ve seen a few with the holes like mine, and some with a slick-top. I’m not an expert, but I should mention there are a few things in these years that cause aggravation for people more familiar with the later 60’s and on, and makes the parts search and interchangeability more limiting. The push-button A488 "cast-iron Torqueflite" for example isn't the same as the aluminum 727 Torqueflite in Paul's Chrysler, even though it is also a push-button. Parking brake is on the tailshaft, And the engine’s crank-flange is different from later 413’s and 440’s. Stuff like that. Makes swaps harder. The tapered rear axles makes removing brake drums difficult, but people learn to deal with it or upgrade the rear end. I hope someone is able to help Kurt make some more room in his garage and help finish bringing this car back. There are good support networks for this era MoPar at places like at www.forwardlook.net.

John Royark JR
09-18-2010, 12:10 PM
My 60. In similar state, came out of Nebraska and I purchased it out of Iowa I think. I

Des Moines, Iowa to be exact. I was the one that sent you pics and gave you a detailed description of the car. I was wondering if it was still around, that was many years ago.