PDA

View Full Version : 62 ford ambulance

Chris Elzie
07-07-2010, 10:39 PM
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1830682017.html

Custom 62 Ford Ambulance! Classic! 1 OF A KIND!!! Ghostbusters! - $3500
This was my first car, and I hate to sell her, but money is tight, space is limited, and my time and extra funds are now involved in other projects. I have been saving this car to restore later, but I really need the room now. This is a Custom 1962 Ford ambulance. This car really turns heads! IT IS 1 OF A KIND! Everyone in town will recognise you driving this car! I have searched high and low for other ambulances from this period, and extremely few exist and NONE have the sleek classic style of this car. I am the 3rd owner of this car since it was retired from duty. It started its life as a 62 Country Sedan (pretty much a galaxy wagon) and was converted and equiped for ambulance service. It only stayed in service for a few years then it was garaged and taken to car shows for years by the first owner. The man I bought it from in Denver Colorado used it mostly as advertisement for his company, and to haul 2 huge sailboats across the country. During his ownership, about 15 years ago, she was given a makeover. The motor was rebuilt, she was painted, and the interrior was totally re-made. Nothing inside is an ambulance anymore, completely custom. There is a strong resemblence to the car from the Ghostbusters movie.

Car has 74,179 original miles, 48,000 when I bought it and drove it home from Denver
390 Police Interceptor was rebuilt approx 15 years ago, miles unknown
C6 3 speed auto transmission was rebuilt when I got back to Texas, so about 25,000 miles on it
RED LIGHTS AND WAILING SIREN ALL WORK!!!
Recaro racing seats in front, with Grant Gt steering wheel to accomodate
Original front tumble bench was re-upholstered to match the Recaro seats and relocated as back seat
Wires ran for a 1 or 2 amp stereo system, but at the moment has no radio equpt.
In-grill radar detector
40 gallon gas tank with drain/cleaning ports
Side opening rear door
Upholstery inside is about 15 years old, so could use some TLC (except seats), but is not in bad shape
Small cabnet and below floor storage compartment behind back seat
New shocks
Big Holley 4bbl Carb
Clutch fan replaced with electric fan
Clear Texas title
$13 inspection!
Have 2 NOS brake drums for the back that were never installed

Now the bad news...This was my daily driver for over a year, and she never failed me, runs very good and strong (extremely fast for its weight), the day I parked it, but hasn't been driven for about 4 years. I left the gas tank empty, so there shouldn't be any sludge. About 2 years ago, I put a battery on it, and poured gas in the carb and she cranked right up. This car does need some work to get her back on the road, but it is all small stuff, mainly because she has been sitting for so long. The biggest issues you will have are a paint job (starting to crack due to multiple layers of old paint), new weather seals, and a once over on the motor (tune up), just because it hasn't been ran in a while. The body is straight, only 1 dent in back passenger door, and a bondo crack on the drivers side. There are several small things that will need to be delt with due to sitting in my back yard such as...door clasps need lube, 1 flat tire because of valve stem, brakes sticking...small stuff. I really hope I can get this beautiful classic to a good home who will love her, and have as much fun driving it as I did.
Must be towed or trailered away.
I am asking $3500 OBO for this one of a kind, head turning, classic.
I can send more pictures by request.
I may be willing to accept partial/full trades for firearms, ammo, jeep offroad parts, 4 wheeler/ATV, jet ski, a trailer big enough for my jeep, or possibly other items, let me know what you have.

John ED Renstrom
07-08-2010, 01:08 PM
price is right on this one. it dosen't look like a big cut up job so going back would be a matter of finding the right seat. there weren't a lot of these Seaberts built so it's a nice find if some one wants a different type of car. they will know it's you comming around the block. not that far away eather.

Adam Borkat
07-08-2010, 01:34 PM
I talked to the owner last September when he had it for sale. Really nice guy, and it seems like a do-able project for someone restoring it if you can track down or fabricate interior parts, or a good easy fixer car for someone who just wants to just have a fun cruising around town car.

Steve Lichtman
07-08-2010, 11:43 PM
It's a shame that the previous owner decided to gut the interior, because these are so unusual. These are unique enough, I don't understand why someone want's to try to make it more so, in the process throwing out all the original stuff. If the exterior is that good, the interior probably was, too - but it's long ago gone in the dumpster.

I say that every time one of these customized pro-cars comes up, of course, but I feel even worse when it is - was - an ambulance.

Tim A. Fantin
07-09-2010, 12:07 AM
It's a shame that the previous owner decided to gut the interior, because these are so unusual. These are unique enough, I don't understand why someone want's to try to make it more so, in the process throwing out all the original stuff. If the exterior is that good, the interior probably was, too - but it's long ago gone in the dumpster.

I say that every time one of these customized pro-cars comes up, of course, but I feel even worse when it is - was - an ambulance.

Well, whats done is done. From pictures someone could figure out something close to original. My 54 Ford National Ambulance interior was gutted by the restoration shop in New York. Everything was replaced except the original seats were recovered. Everything other than the seats are new. It came out very well I think.

Steve Lichtman
07-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Yeah, you're right, we can't turn back the clock. The interior can be recreated with time and effort. And there is one complete Seibert remaining (Bob Collier's in Ohio) that can be used as a reference.

I haven't seen your National's restored interior, but I'm glad it was done well. Hope to see it soon.

Ron Devies
07-09-2010, 01:04 AM
Mr. Collier from our chapter has a Siebert the pictures of the interior are on our chapter website,

Paul Steinberg
07-09-2010, 01:25 AM
It would easilly be worth twice the asking price with the original interior, but without it, I don't think that I would want to pay half of the asking price. To duplicate the interior and do it correctly, it could cost you upwards of $7 thousand dollars. OEM fabric for that can cost $75 a yard, and replacing a headliner cost $1000 today for material and labor. It isn't an easy restoration, and getting it correct will be the hard part. Some original parts will need to be manufactured if you want it to look original when you are done.

Rick Franklin
07-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Could someone please explain to me how a 62 Ford Ranch Wagon based Ambulance bears any similarity to a 1959 Cadillac?

Paul Steinberg
07-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Could someone please explain to me how a 62 Ford Ranch Wagon based Ambulance bears any similarity to a 1959 Cadillac?

They are both made of steel, have engines, transmissions, windshields, wipers, tires, paint, differentials, and the list goes on and on. How can you not see the similarity?? :14_6_20:

John ED Renstrom
07-09-2010, 12:18 PM

if your wondering about the ghost busters thing it's white has red lights and is long. sounds like a 59 MM to me

but other then that I have seen a few 59 ambulances enough to count on my fingers the is the second siebert I know of. sounds like the ford is a rarer bird.

but just to let you know this is not a town of hicks. I drove Jim's 66 threw the parade and not once heard the ghostbusters comment.