PDA

View Full Version : Ambulance cot collection!

Jeremy D. Ledford
06-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Here is a few photos of some of my cots and stretchers!

First up a Washington Model 21 signal level with 5-IS designation. Sold this one a few years ago.

Jeremy D. Ledford
06-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Washington Model 21 with K-5 designation. Red foot pad.

Jeremy D. Ledford
06-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Washington Cot with the No. 1-7 designation on it with lite blue foot pad. Late 1940's vintage with large diameter tubing and tall skinny wheels. Note head rest adjustment on this unit.

Jeremy D. Ledford
06-25-2010, 01:19 PM
A cot we all know and love! The Ferno-Washington Model 30! The made up clean one is the one displayed in my combo.

Jeremy D. Ledford
06-25-2010, 01:28 PM
A Ferno-Washington collapsible/fold up stretcher I have in the combo as well. Model # unknown to me. Note the feet on this unit.

Jeremy D. Ledford
06-25-2010, 01:30 PM
The last photos of my series ends with this 1940's vintage tan canvas roll up stretcher with wood handles and tan canvas webbing style straps. Maker unknown.

Sarah Snook
06-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Very cool! Nice use of the beach towel too. :)

Rocky Fluegge
06-25-2010, 04:19 PM
is the model # that you are showing located on the center lof the back rest? because the ones that i have do not have that?

Jeremy D. Ledford
06-25-2010, 04:34 PM
is the model # that you are showing located on the center lof the back rest? because the ones that i have do not have that?

Yep, located about mid way along the middle part!

Dwayne Brooks
06-25-2010, 09:49 PM
That canvas stretcher... I have one similar to it, a friend who works at Galion hospital found it in a locked room during remodeling & dropped it off. It is absolutely mint & has never seen light of day! It has cast handles though as well as the wood & i've no idea how old it is but it looks very old.

John ED Renstrom
06-25-2010, 11:24 PM
the older #30 with the pegs on the raised bed are most likely first generation.post the serial number and you can find out the date of manufacture of it. here are a few more that I own or have owned.
they go FW 26 removal gurney 28 29 30 and the last is ether 31 0r 32. I'm thinking it's a 32. so correct me again on it will someone.

John ED Renstrom
06-25-2010, 11:33 PM
and one more set of odd ball ones I have gathered pictures of.

Paul Steinberg
06-26-2010, 12:00 AM
If anyone has one like this one that Ed posted, and is willing to part with it, please let me know. This is what belongs in my 1963 Pinner based on what I have learned.. Thanks Paul

Steve Loftin
06-26-2010, 02:16 AM
If anyone has one like this one that Ed posted, and is willing to part with it, please let me know. This is what belongs in my 1963 Pinner based on what I have learned.. Thanks Paul

Ferno #32

(Moderator: Why do you make it where our responses have to be at least 10 characters?)

Paul Steinberg
06-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Ferno #32

(Moderator: Why do you make it where our responses have to be at least 10 characters?)

that is the way that the software engineers designed the product, and it can't be changed...

John ED Renstrom
06-26-2010, 12:11 PM
a couple more here and some info. this ground level ferno not FW I have labeled as a type c and #21. anyone knows what is correct please let me know the NOS #30 still have there tag on them but this set was made some time in the 80s. I have a pair of them still here. the other is kind of a comparison stack of 28 29 and 30. the add is from a 1977 mag. the letter is a response I had recived on an inquiry from them on the date of manufacture of the 28 ,29 cots. you can see now one really knows for sure the exact date of them. but with out all the safety locks one can say there are a mid 70s cot.

Chris M. Kelley
06-26-2010, 09:27 PM
I just sold one of these, in orange, to someone in the south. Ferno, even with a picture, was unable to provide the model number.

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2278&stc=1&d=1277483252A Ferno-Washington collapsible/fold up stretcher I have in the combo as well. Model # unknown to me. Note the feet on this unit.

This is a model 104, came with standard and six inch wheels. I have an orange one w/ 6" wheels, this is the 104-S Model. Didn't come with the mattress, though. I believe they're for pre-ems applications, such as plants, etc., places of industry. But with four wheel cups, I'm sure you could make the standard version fit on a bench seat or floor. The only issue, is that it's the Ferno Telescoping Stretcher... So, you'd have to either have multiple positions with wheel cups, or use it with one position only.

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2289&stc=1&d=1277519542

John ED Renstrom
06-27-2010, 12:05 AM
OK it was just a picture I got. thanks for pointing that out I see the telescoping with the canvas bed under the mattress now. I have a couple of pictures of a 107 and the 108 stretcher. the #9 is vary close to this set of them to. I also have one of the folding stretchers with the hoop feet in black here at the house. it should make a nice hanger in the 53. the nice part of this never ending stuff from FW is that somewhere out there someone has used them and knows what they are.

Chris M. Kelley
06-27-2010, 04:09 AM
http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2304&stc=1&d=1277607702

That almost looks like a Ferno, European model stretcher. I see even their modern stretchers have the pole handles.

The backrest support arms on the 104 were the absolute worst idea ever. The ones that keep popping up on ebay, prove my suspicion. They snap easily, therefore show welds. One of mine needs welded, the other has been done twice. Ferno's parts supplier never replied to my email about replacing them. I suspect it would be easier to have a metal fabricator make new ones out of steel, rather than a weak alloy.

John ED Renstrom
06-27-2010, 12:02 PM
all this has really help me get the pictures labled right. tried the ferno web side but they are into sell new stuff not preserving there past like you said. these were the two I have athe question about. clicked on th e104 pictures insted a tey wee right next to eachother. both one leavel ferno cots. I have labled with diferent names. any one know this number? I have it labled as a type c and a #21. the other is th ehoop foot in black I have here.

Robert C Baker - Deceased 1958 - 2015
07-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Thats a fine looking collection you have there, I have two really old Washington " Removal Cots " they kinda look like upside down stokes baskets. I had them restored by FERNO about 10 years ago. I was lucky enough to aquire them from a funeral home, and they came out of and old M&M combo early 1960's model. The cot s were side by side in the rear, pretty neat I thought.:clap:

Sarah Young
08-09-2010, 08:15 PM
It's good to know you're prepared should any of us need a place to "crash" when we come through your town, lol. :)

Jeremy D. Ledford
08-09-2010, 11:21 PM
It's good to know you're prepared should any of us need a place to "crash" when we come through your town, lol. :)

I did have to sleep on the model 30 for a couple nights once while doing some renovation and remodeling here at home once! Wasn't to bad of a nights sleep ether!

John ED Renstrom
08-10-2010, 12:02 AM
sleep many a time on the 29 returning for a late night run. beet the bench

Doug Watson
09-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Being only in funeral service over 35 years, I can remember alot of these old cots. And being the idiots we are, we look at cots differently than EMS. To us, it's just a piece of equipment that gets in our way alot. It makes me sick to think we use to toss out the old cots because a newer one came along. I'll never look at a cot again the same way. You all have enlightenend me and made me come to appreciate cots. Question, what cot would be used in a 64 superior combo?

John ED Renstrom
09-26-2010, 12:10 PM
ferno Washington were together by then. so a single level or older #30 would be the norm but the auto load #27 were maybe not as popular was available also. notice how the pegs that support the raised portion of the cot are on the bed of the older #30 in the last picture. the next generation moved them to the wheel rack. ferno iskind of vage on them but the seariel number will give you a ida when it was built. some of our members have the list.

Steve Loftin
09-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Being only in funeral service over 35 years, I can remember alot of these old cots. And being the idiots we are, we look at cots differently than EMS. To us, it's just a piece of equipment that gets in our way alot. It makes me sick to think we use to toss out the old cots because a newer one came along. I'll never look at a cot again the same way. You all have enlightenend me and made me come to appreciate cots. Question, what cot would be used in a 64 superior combo?

Most popular for a full size car in that era:

#30 8-level
#54 2-level
#32 4-level
#27 one man/roll in

Doug Watson
09-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Of course that figures,,,,,,,I threw away a cot very similar to that one a couple years ago because the legs would buckle unexpectedley and I didn't want a lawsuit. So now I get the buy one back! Serves me right. So I'll put the word out that I'd like to buy one from the list of candidates. Another teachable moment.

John ED Renstrom
09-26-2010, 11:40 PM
we had the #32 pictured in this post but this I beleve is the #54

Steve Loftin
09-27-2010, 12:02 AM
we had the #32 pictured in this post but this I beleve is the #54

This is a #54-L, the low-profile version often referred to as a "knuckle buster" because of the bottom rail's proximity to the ground! This was designed for use in low-headroom vehicles such as station wagons and sedan deliveries. The headrom in these cars from about 1957-70 averaged 33", while lowtops and combinations of the period ranged from 38-43".

Doug Watson
09-27-2010, 12:46 AM
Where would I go to purchase one of these cots? Is there anybody in PCS that sells these or has access to them?

#30 8-level
#54 2-level
#32 4-level
#27 one man/roll in

Paul Steinberg
09-27-2010, 01:04 AM
I have a one man cot if you are interested.

Steve Loftin
09-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Where would I go to purchase one of these cots? Is there anybody in PCS that sells these or has access to them?

#30 8-level
#54 2-level
#32 4-level
#27 one man/roll in

The first place I'd check is with the funeral homes in your area. Sometimes, these are sitting unused in garages and basements. Keep checking as you travel and talk with other funeral directors. Place a small ad in the KFDA magazine or newsletter. Ask your procar salesmen or casket truck drivers if they've seen any old stretchers in their business travels. I'll keep my eye out as I travel, as well. If you run across one and are not sure what it is, just send me a shot of it and I'll ID it for you. I'll PM my e-mail address and cell number to you. As expensive as these are to ship, you're better off finding one within driving distance. Good luck!

Rick Cox
09-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Along the same line...most of the cots we have came across (and still use to temporary support a body until we get them in the casket when the embalming table must be used on a recent arrival) have very poor condition covers on them from years of use. In order to keep the original cover and yet make the cot still usable for years to continue we had new covers made up that slipped over the original. The best material we found was the water resistent treated cloth shower curtains. The color choice is pretty good and can be matched very closely to the original cot cover color.

Steve Lichtman
09-27-2010, 09:23 PM
I have several Model #30 cots that are available. They're in MD, and as indicated, shipping is a bit of an issue.

John Burchfield
10-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Wow, my head is spinning! Good info here, thanks to everyone who provided some information and photos. I'm going to have to inventory my various cots. I think most are 30s plus a folding stretcher which will hang nicely in a hightop! Has anyone encountered any Baumgartner (sp?) cots? I've only seen one or two over the years.

Bill Anderson
10-30-2011, 02:27 AM
My back hurts every time I see a Model 30. I don't know how we got the 250+ pounders in the truck with just two people.

Abe Bush
12-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Very cool! What's the vintage of the Ferno-Washington Model 30?

Abe

John ED Renstrom
12-10-2011, 12:29 PM
the number 30 was a standard from the combination of Ferno with Washington in 54 or 55 up till they replaced it with the modale 35 in the 90's
so it's safe to say we have laughed at services using them for 40 years.

Abe Bush
12-10-2011, 12:34 PM
the number 30 was a standard from the combination of Ferno with Washington in 54 or 55 up till they replaced it with the modale 35 in the 90's
so it's safe to say we have laughed at services using them for 40 years.

Probably not as hard as I used to laugh at the mis-use of the 30's on t.v.

Like early seasons of Emergency!, where the rarely speaking "ambulance attendants" would keep them in down position the entire time while wheeling the patient into the E.R. treatment room instead of lifting them to the up position. I used to think it was because the actors didn't know how to lift them into up position, but then they would lift it up in order to transfer the patient from the cot over to the treatment table.

Thanks for the pics, I love old cots.

Scott A. Anderson
12-10-2011, 02:22 PM
I worked for several services in the F&W #30 years. The policy of the service I worked for the longest was that we had to leave the cot in the down position whenever a patient was on board. When we got to the ER or bed in hospital, etc. we lifted the cot up to slide the patient over. Reason for this was a coupe of situations where a top heavy cot with patient tipped over. Saw it once myself, hard to forget!

Abe Bush
12-10-2011, 03:06 PM
I worked for several services in the F&W #30 years. The policy of the service I worked for the longest was that we had to leave the cot in the down position whenever a patient was on board. When we got to the ER or bed in hospital, etc. we lifted the cot up to slide the patient over. Reason for this was a coupe of situations where a top heavy cot with patient tipped over. Saw it once myself, hard to forget!

Wow, I never thought of that before! But that does make sense though, especially if you've seen them tip before if they got too top heavy in the all the way up position. Probably not easy on your back though if you were required to leave it in the lowest position and had quite a distance to travel from the Emergency bay to the E.R. treatment room!

The only cot mishap I was involved in was a one-man cot on the volunteer EMT-Basic ambulance service I was on in the early 90's. A guy got stung by a bee in the middle of nowhere and was already in anaphalactic shock by the time we got there and was unconscious. There was already a Sheriff deputy on scene, he was a young guy apparently a newbie and boy was he freaking out (the patient's wife was more calm than this deputy was lol). He was radioing us every minute or so asking our ETA, and flat out telling us "this guy is in bad shape" on fireband. Anyway we get there, see the guy unconscious and barely breathing with a thready pulse and dropping B.P., we slapped a non rebreather on him at full O2 since that was all we could do as an EMT-Basic level service, and get ready to load and go...we already had CGH Emergency Services (back then they were still called Twin City Ambulance) en route to meet us so their Paramedics could jump onboard and start ALS.

Anyway we're getting ready to load this guy into the rig, the deputy all but peeing his pants, I was at the head and the deputy was at the foot end (my partner, a 5'2" lady who maybe weighed 100 pounds soaking wet was ahead of me to guide us down the stairs and carry the crash kit and O2).

We line the cot up to the back of the rig and I'm getting ready to move around to take the deputy's place to push it in, but before I do the panic stricken deputy pulls the lever before we even get the cot wheels on the floor of the rig, which of course causes the cot to come crashing down, with our unconscious patient on it of course. I, still at the head end, grab hold before it can hit the driveway, and let it down gently. But I was sore for a week afterwards!

Our patient was a big guy, probably over 200 pounds, and that was the worst mishap I've ever been involved in with a cot. The volunteer service I was on had various mishaps with it though, several times it would buckle and crash down if they didn't pull it up all the way, to the extent that we would never let go of it until both of us heard it click because it had a tendency to not "click" or snap into position. Plus, it only had two positions: all the way down, or all the way up...take your choice.

Never did like those one man cots, give me a FW #30 any day!

John ED Renstrom
12-10-2011, 10:51 PM
man don't take care of his equipment is bound to have trouble. use a 29 for years and never had a misshape with it. loved the multi level features. but the smoothies and easies cot to ever load was the 26. I never told Grandmother it was a removal cot. it's just that the fixed wheel on the head end made it not as easy to maneuver in a tight space. same as the 27 and 28. the 28 is not user friendly to latch up with all the fixed wheels but then I'm not doing it as it was intended. so I can't fault the cot for me trying to do something it was not built for. the most I ever had for weight on the 29 was 550 lb. I was scared to death it would fold over on us. trust me we moved vary slow and made wide corners. but we had no choice it was me and a 5 ft 100 lb gal on that run.

but I understand what your saying about the Sheriff the worse thing you can have helping is someone that doesn't know the equipment. we got into that kind of thing we never let them have the end with the trip.

Jim Vowell
01-09-2012, 06:44 PM
I have several Model #30 cots that are available. They're in MD, and as indicated, shipping is a bit of an issue.

Laugh if you will but the cheapest way to ship I have found is by way of Grey Hound bus.

John ED Renstrom
01-25-2012, 01:32 AM
was going to add this one to the e-bay items you may have missed but it goes here best. it pays to ask the lady I got this one from had it labeled a Ferno - Washington and locale pickup only. offered to pay her for her mileage if she would ship it gray hound. I made this same offer to 2 other people who refused to do it. so I now have this Washington model 54?? and she has a empty space in her garage both of us are happy

Steve Loftin
01-25-2012, 07:55 AM
so I now have this Washington model 54??

Early #54-L (low profile)

Jim Vowell
01-25-2012, 03:14 PM
I have used Grayhound or Trailways or what ever bus line is available and have found them to he the most reasonable priced.

John ED Renstrom
01-25-2012, 11:13 PM
you can't bet the just under 100 buck ticket for the large idem. here is what I need the low cot for. the washington kevlar 21 single level is just to high to fit under the hanger in the 53. this 54L fits with room to spare.

Martin Harvey
12-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Bump on this thread!

Discovered the model #32 which is what I have in my '70 ! Nice !

John ED Renstrom
12-01-2012, 10:43 PM
is the 70 a low over head. that was the one mainly used on station wagon conversions. the bottom drops down when you raise the head for more clearance

Jerry Jacobson
12-02-2012, 03:23 AM
is the 70 a low over head. that was the one mainly used on station wagon conversions. the bottom drops down when you raise the head for more clearance

The model 32 does the same thing.

Jacob M. Fournier
12-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Model 30 Ferno (pre-merger with Washington) - from what I've read, I'd say approx. '59 to '60 (please correct me if wrong.)

Jacob M. Fournier
12-12-2012, 12:49 AM
1969 Ferno Washington Model 30 C - Contour option (unfortunately in rough condition)

Jacob M. Fournier
12-12-2012, 12:53 AM
On the above model 30s, the earlier model had the release handles on the left (if facing the head end), while the newer model had the handles on the right. Could it be ordered either way? or was this a production change, made for a reason?

David Gusky
12-21-2012, 11:58 PM
Hi Gang,
I am building a model of my original squad's early 1920's Model T Ford ambulance. Unfortunately, the only image that I have of it is a line drawing from the 75th Anniversary t-shirt. Repeated requests for a photo(s) of the rig have gone unanswered. So, while I am okay taking a little artistic license, I would like to be as correct as possible. So, what would have been found in a volunteer ambulance squad's rig just outside of Philadelphia in the early 1920's? Any suggestion, photos, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/hooknladderno1/Palmyras%20First%20%20Ambulance/2012-12-03_14-53-55_999-1.jpg
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Sincerely,

David

John ED Renstrom
04-04-2013, 10:44 PM
I was moving stuff around today and just happened to have a set of ferno and Washington single leave gunnies side by side. the Washington kevler #21 and the Washington/Ferno #21 the Washington has the blue foot rest

Jeremy D. Ledford
08-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Here's my latest acquisition. A Collapsi-Cot manufactured by Emergency Aids Company, Chicago 13, Illinois. Going by the "Chicago 13" address I'm guessing early 1960's era. Good heavy unit most likely this one is from a plant of some type but could be used in an ambulance. It collapses in and out by folding of the upper head end of cot. It has four caster wheels on bottom with fabric pull straps at foot and head ends. Typically you would refer to this type unit as a stretcher not a cot though.

Thomas E Westfall
08-15-2013, 12:43 AM
I would love to find one for my 57 amblewagon

John ED Renstrom
08-20-2013, 08:35 PM
they were destined to use in boot loaders.

Nik White
10-17-2015, 06:16 PM
On the above model 30s, the earlier model had the release handles on the left (if facing the head end), while the newer model had the handles on the right. Could it be ordered either way? or was this a production change, made for a reason?

I was wondering the same thing? My release handle is on the left (while facing the head).

Tom Nangle
10-17-2015, 07:46 PM
CPD used these in squadrols for sick and deceased removals.

Tom Nangle
10-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Oops I meant the Collapsicots.

Mike Boyer
01-24-2016, 02:27 PM

so I take that to say that #30 was standard until the 1990's when the # 35 came in ?? in the 78 Horton I have a 35A but the locking pin doesn't line up ( the pin is short by a hair) with the lock on the floor mounted cot bar so that means the 78 Horton originally came with a # 30 ??

John ED Renstrom
01-25-2016, 01:01 AM
most of your box ambulances used one of the auto load like a model 29. made the work a lot easier. were the van type would have a 30.

Martin Harvey
08-07-2016, 07:44 AM
Ok here is a good question.

We saw some #54 in this thread but here is one used by the Police de Montréal between 1959 and 1968.

At first look it's a Model 54 but there is some slight differences There is no "knee part" like the usual 54, the side bars looks different too...
http://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/12/49/28/02/montre10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/view/12492802/1182)
http://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/12/49/28/02/52334010.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/view/12492802/1183)

Any better picture of someone who own one to compare?

John ED Renstrom
08-07-2016, 01:01 PM
it is most likely a Washington. the foot pad is the give away. vary hard to tell but enough braces under there to be a multi level. but just for comparison here is a 21 Ferno and a 21 Washington side by side

David Henry
08-07-2016, 01:56 PM
In 1988 I left EMS full time after 14 years, every ambulance I ever worked in, Cadillac, Suburban, Type II and Type III had ferno model 30's. And you sure built up a lot of upper body strength.

John ED Renstrom
08-08-2016, 12:27 AM
I lucked out we had a lot of ladies on the squad so we always used the 29's

John ED Renstrom
08-08-2016, 01:07 PM
digging threw the shed today looking for stuff. found some. here is the difference in the mounting rackets for a Washington cot bars and Ferno.. the Washington is about a 1/8 of a inch bigger then the Ferno.

Dave Lisiecki
08-18-2017, 09:22 PM
Richard Brothers factory promotional photos from 1960 show this cot behind a 1960 Briarean (1960 Chrysler station wagon with the steel roof raised 6"). I''m wondering if anyone can I.D. it. It looks similar to, but not the same as one Mr. Renstrom previously posted. (The wheel mounting is a little different.) A factory option sheet specified Baumgardner cot and cot bar as options, but I suppose other makes could have been ordered, too. Can anyone I.D. this as a Baumgardner? (And if anyone has one lying around, it would be more appropriate than the FW #30 I got, though I appreciate the member who shipped it to me years ago,)

http://professionalcarsociety.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=305&pictureid=3464

John ED Renstrom
08-18-2017, 11:06 PM
that would be a Ferno 54 xl if I'm not mistaken. but it it has the flat bars for a webing not the round tubes its a Washington same numbers. the bumgardners were a round top

Steve Loftin
08-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Richard Brothers factory promotional photos from 1960 show this cot behind a 1960 Briarean (1960 Chrysler station wagon with the steel roof raised 6"). I''m wondering if anyone can I.D. it.

It's a #54-L, designed for station wagons, sedan deliveries, and other low headroom cars.

Bruce Osborne
08-19-2017, 09:51 PM
The top stretcher of the 4 is a stair chair convertible into a stretcher- Bruce