View Full Version : Hose Clamps......

Paul Steinberg
05-17-2010, 10:36 PM
A hose clamp might seem like a very meaningless item when doing a restoration, however, it can mean the difference between correct and incorrect hardware by some judges... Before I get too involved in this, there is the fine distinction between OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture) and manufacturer approved replacement. In the case of my 1963 Chrysler Pinner, the original hose clamps as shipped from the factory are Corbin Clamps, however, the parts book specifies stainless steel worm gear clamps as the factory approved replacements. It all depends on what level of authenticity you are striving for in your restoration.
On General Motors the factory installed clamps from the 1950's through the 1970', and possibly beyond were made by Wittek Manufacturing Company of Chicago. These are commonly known as "tower clamps", and they are available in various sized on ebay by many sellers.. Usually the price ranges between $1.50 - $3.00 each. You will need to know the outside hose diameter to get the correct hose clamp. In a picture of an older Pontiac, posted by Atti, you can clearly see that this car has the original hose clamps installed...

You will need to do your own research to determine what is correct for your particular brand of automobile. Keep in mind that many times what the factory installed was removed by the body manufacturer, and what they had on hand was substituted.

Paul Steinberg
05-17-2010, 10:43 PM
In this picture, you can see the Corbin hose clamps that Chrysler used for many years. You will have to look closely to see the clamps on the hose ends, but once you focus on them, you will see the differences. This is a very well detailed engine compartment.

John ED Renstrom
05-17-2010, 11:32 PM
then of course the car was sent to a aftermarket re manufacturer who spliced the hoses for a rear heater and rear AC and put on something quite different leaving the factory clamps on the ends.

Paul Steinberg
12-11-2011, 11:14 AM
In the 1950's through the late 1960's, and possibly the early 1970's, the original radiator hose clamps on a General Motors car were made by Wittek, and are commonly called "tower clamps". The advantage of the tower clamp over the common worm gear clamp is that they don't loosen up, nor do the dig into the soft surface of the hose like the worm gear clamp does. They are available as a reproduction item. You just need to know the proper size to purchase.
The tower clamps were also used on heater hoses on some model cars depending on the year of manufacture, and the division. I have never found any consistency on what determined what was used. It was either the Wittek tower clamp, or the Corbin wire clamp.
Below are pictures of an original tower clamp, with original markings.

Russ Austin
12-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Those tower clamps are a PITA to take off

Paul Steinberg
12-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Only if you don't know how to do it.
To take them off, you need to back the screw out completely, and then gently tap on the top of the tower until you slowly depress it, which will loosen the band. I usually use a small socket over the top of the tower to make sure that it is evenly depressed. Once the band is loosened, you just need to gently tap the clamp tower to one side or the other, and it will come free from the hose. Reinstall the screw, and it is as good as new to reuse.

Richard Vyse
12-12-2011, 10:28 AM
So that is the reason I never place at shows. :pat::yum:

Well actually the Lifeliner beat Bill's 64 Buick combo at the Ormond Car Show. I was VERY excited.

Jeremy D. Ledford
02-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Here are photos of the heater hose clamps that Miller-Meteor used, at least in 1973 and possibly other years. All two out of three of my 73 M-M's have this clamp on the heater hoses going to the rear of the car.

Info on clamps,

QS 100
Breeze Corps Inc
Union, NJ USA

Union NJ