View Full Version : 1963 GMC ambulance

Adam Borkat
05-12-2010, 07:53 PM
This thing looks huge!

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1734659867.html

Christopher Co. maybe?

Scott Crittenden
05-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Looks like the one that made an appearance at the '08 meet in NJ.

John ED Renstrom
05-12-2010, 11:20 PM
they are a big rig got next to the one that Lloyd Ray had in Ia one big truck.
that last is a shot of Lloyd the last time I saw him.

Steve Lichtman
05-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Looks like the one that made an appearance at the '08 meet in NJ.It is the same one.

It's a Huntco, made in NJ.

If I only had the room........

Todd Merrifield
05-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Whatever became of Lloyd's 62 Cotner-Bevington after he passed? Or the 63, for that matter? Just curious, don't see too many 62 Belair ambulances.

John Royark JR
05-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Whatever became of Lloyd's 62 Cotner-Bevington after he passed? Or the 63, for that matter? Just curious, don't see too many 62 Belair ambulances.

Currently his (or Karens) niece has them.

Todd Merrifield
05-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Currently his (or Karens) niece has them.

Cool, I have always heard the 62 was really nice. You know you have something rare when every time it is referenced historically you see a picture of the same vehicle.

Mike McDonald
05-13-2010, 12:12 PM
It may be my eyes failing.... both both Ambulances look completely different to me unless the one on Craigs List has been completely brutalized!... and I believe both are Chevy's. The nicer one inside the building has "GMC" Hubcaps. MM

Adam Borkat
05-13-2010, 01:26 PM
It may be my eyes failing.... both both Ambulances look completely different to me unless the one on Craigs List has been completely brutalized!... and I believe both are Chevy's. The nicer one inside the building has "GMC" Hubcaps. MM

They're different ambulances. The pictures Ed posted are a 1963 Christopher Co. 'RES-Q' Chevrolet C30 ambulance. The other is a 1963 Huntco (thanks Steve) GMC C30 ambulance. Similar, but different...

John ED Renstrom
05-13-2010, 01:49 PM
thanks for clearing up the body builders. all those small companies are vary hard to keep track of. I knew Lloyd went back to NJ to pick that one up. he was into Civil Defence stuff. couldn't pass it up if it had a CD lable on it.

Mike McDonald
05-13-2010, 08:19 PM
BOYERTOWN and SWIFT were the primary body builders for the 1,300+ 1953-1954 REO Chassied Civil Defense Units distributed to larger cities and counties througout the US after the Korean War. These were nicknamed "Calamity Janes" and had hand painted graphics of a cowgirl on each one that resembled "Rosie the Riverter" Both companies built to strict Fed Spec's so the units are all (nearly identical). (*) So much so that the Boyertown Museum in (PA) spent big money to restore one that was actually a SWIFT. At the time we had fully restored (and authentically equipped) 1954 REO-Boyertown and the Currator called us to see if we would trade units!

If anyone is restoring any Civil Defense Era Units..... we have (EXACTLY) "re-produced" most all of the decals and graphics used back then.

(**) BTW.... I still think the Craig List Ambulance is a CHEVY!.... unless it's a GMC with a Chevy Grille? MM

Ron Devies
05-13-2010, 10:43 PM
I was in New Jersey how the hell did I miss that?:657:

Kent Martinson
05-13-2010, 11:08 PM
I was in New Jersey how the hell did I miss that?:657:

You were too busy trying to find period correct suction cups. :hide:

Steve Lichtman
05-13-2010, 11:49 PM
WHOA, back the firetruck up. I made a mistake! :smiley3::bonk:
It's a Kutz, not a Huntco! :poster_oops:
OK, maybe a little mistake. Kutz, Huntco, and Trenton National Trailer were all the same company. I've gotten all the information I know from Rich Litton, who has all the information there is on this company - which isn't a lot. He doesn't know why there are different names for the same ambulances in the same years.

Yes, it's a Chevy, not a GMC (that wasn't my mistake). And it's a Kutz. Or one of those. Pictures of it at the Mt. Laurel meet are attached - it was there for about an hour late Saturday afternoon, in the parking lot and not on the show field. I guess Ron was passed out by then.

And yes, Lloyd Ray's ambulance is a different vehicle and it's a Christopher. Mike, your eyes are OK...for now.

Mike McDonald
05-14-2010, 11:35 AM
I was having doubts for a while that they were functioning correctly!!

Paul Steinberg
05-14-2010, 12:01 PM
WHOA, back the firetruck up. I made a mistake! :smiley3::bonk:
........................ Mike, your eyes are OK...for now.

I was having doubts for a while that they were functioning correctly!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwJ-g0iJ6w