PDA

View Full Version : International Scout ambulance

Todd Merrifield
03-23-2010, 10:08 PM
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/1619831714.html

Thought about going after this one myself at that price, but it looks rough and I'm not as much of an International fan as I am a Suburban fan.

Steve Lichtman
03-23-2010, 10:21 PM
It's actually a Travelall, not a Scout (not Todd's fault, that's what the seller put). It's a '72 Springfield Interne.

Hmm, another parts truck for my Travelall?

Mike Stevens
03-23-2010, 10:55 PM
Thank you Steve. You set the record straight here. I was starting to hyperventilate when I read Scout Ambulance. Might still be an interesting item to play with for the price.
Like I need another IH in my life. After 38 plus years there you would think I would have my fill of them.
But this one is different...
You may need it more than me. I don't have any Travelalls anymore. Just a Scout Terra pickup and a crew cab pickup.
Mike

Todd Merrifield
03-23-2010, 11:36 PM
It actually felt wrong typing that, but since that's what it said I didn't give it much more thought.

Unless the coach builder started with a scout and fabricated an extra sixteen feet...

Steve Lichtman
03-23-2010, 11:59 PM
...You may need it more than me. I don't have any Travelalls anymore. Just a Scout Terra pickup and a crew cab pickup.
Mike I've got two TA ambulances, so I've got plenty already. Your Terra pickup sounds interesting, though!

...Unless the coach builder started with a scout and fabricated an extra sixteen feet...Well, they did start with a Travelall and fabricated an extra 3 feet or so. I believe the Travelall is also wider than a Scout.

Mike Stevens
03-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Yes, Travelalls were wider and longer than Scouts. While some parts will interchange the sheet metal was one or the other not both. Door handles, radios, some wheels, engines for the most part, transmissions to some extent and maybe a few other parts. Dash boards were different. No glass will interchange.
With that split in the center of the grill that may be a 73. The 74 and 75 models did not have the split grill although it was very similar to the earlier model.
Mike from Springfield, the home of the Travelall.
61 M-M

:cheers:

Russell Street
03-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Bad news is, most of those Springfield Conversion Internationals left the factory with a rust problem in the incubation phase. Didn't get better as time passed. The company I used to drive for in the 70's was an International dealer, we'd hitch a ride down on one of our Dayton- Norwalk inter-terminal trucks and bring them home. We sold a bunch of them here in this area,.I've picked up a lot of them.

Mike Stevens
03-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Yes, We (IH) had a rust problem in the 70s. Some of my friends bought Scouts and got 4 sets of new fenders before the company so sorry about your luck. The same steel was used in the Springfield plant as was used in Fort Wayne. Springfield was Travelall and Fort Wayne was Scout. We would unroll the steel in the press room and then have the day laborers DA everything BEFORE we stamped anything. I have heard tell that one of our buyers got a good deal from a firm 'dumping' Japanese steel here in the states. Whatever the case it really was rusty before we used it. We knew the DA process just cleaned it for the time being and that the rust would reappear. Management however thought otherwise.
One of my 1974 Travelalls had so much rust you could push a finger through the fenders and doors. It loved gas. I retired it with 165,000 miles and it still ran. It never failed to pull whatever I hooked to it.
Mike

Paul Steinberg
03-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Reminds me of the Chevrolet Vega that had rust through just sitting on the dealership lots waiting for buyers.. During that time period, the foreign steel producers would dump poor quality products on the American manufacturers, since it was cheap...

John ED Renstrom
03-24-2010, 10:37 PM
sould like nothing has changed, just the name of the dumper.

John Royark JR
03-25-2010, 02:37 PM
One of my 1974 Travelalls had so much rust you could push a finger through the fenders and doors. It loved gas.
Mike

Maybe you should have pushed your fingers through the body more so it would be lighter and use less gas :pat:

I almost bought an ambulance like the one posted about 10 years ago, but now maybe Im glad I didnt.