PDA

View Full Version : 72 Pontiac Ambulance

Chuck Lamb
03-21-2010, 01:55 AM
This looked pretty cool for the price. I'm not very knowledgeable about these yet, but I like the looks of it being so high.

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/cto/1650721030.html

John Royark JR
03-21-2010, 06:57 AM
This looked pretty cool for the price. I'm not very knowledgeable about these yet, but I like the looks of it being so high.

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/cto/1650721030.html

This is either the 51" or 54" model. (hard to tell from the pics). The price is VERY reasonable. I know if I had the cash I would be already on my way to check it out.
Superior produced 161 full sized Pontiac ambulances this year.

Robert Davidson
03-21-2010, 11:20 AM
hmmmm, wonder if it'd make the 1500 mile drive home........

Russell Street
03-21-2010, 11:54 AM
It's a 51", the tunnel lights are slightly raised above the roof on the rear.

Paul Steinberg
03-21-2010, 02:28 PM
hmmmm, wonder if it'd make the 1500 mile drive home........

Only if it is headed South....... East....... or West...... It doesn't have a passport, so it can't cross the Northern border....... :angel:

Tony Karsnia
03-21-2010, 02:55 PM
That rig is originally from the Red Wing (MN) Fire Department, which ran red Superior Pontiacs for many years, including a 1975 model. This car went on to the ambulance service in Freeman, South Dakota, being retired ca. 1993 or '94. I photographed it at an ambulance dealer in York, Nebraska in 1995. At that time, the asking price was $2,500. I hate to say this, but at that time, that was a lot of money for a rig that had a fair amount of rust in the rear quarter panels. This was near the end of the days when I was still buying nice hi-top ambulances just out of service for less than $1,000.

Steve Loftin
03-22-2010, 09:27 AM
This girl originally had a Q2B siren. It had quite a bit of cancer when I photographed it in the early 1990s (also at Midwest Vehicle Professionals in York).

John Burchfield
03-24-2010, 01:56 AM
'72 was a nice looking year for big Pontiacs. Also, with Superior '72 was the last year you got: 3 "raindrops", a cross, and a crown roof band on hightops! :thumbsup: Too bad this one probably is quite rusty, but looks like everything is there. Maybe a PCS member could restore this beauty! Attention Richard Vyse: a nice looking pair of 184s on it! :D

Dennis Svoboda
03-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Like Steve Loftin and Tony Karsnia, I know this car. In fact I saw it last weekend when I visted my daughter in Aurora, NE. There is much more rust that is not being seen by the photos. The car sat outside during all of the blizzards Nebraska had this last winter and I can only guess what that did to it. BTW, Midwest Vehicle Professionals of York, NE are no longer in business.

Steve Loftin
03-24-2010, 11:13 PM
'72 was a nice looking year for big Pontiacs. Also, with Superior '72 was the last year you got: 3 "raindrops", a cross, and a crown roof band on hightops! :thumbsup: Too bad this one probably is quite rusty, but looks like everything is there. Maybe a PCS member could restore this beauty! Attention Richard Vyse: a nice looking pair of 184s on it! :D

1972 was also the only year for the "wet look" interior. The beacons are actually 184-H (high skirt) models, cut to fit the roof contour.

Steve Lichtman
03-25-2010, 12:07 PM
1972 was also the only year for the "wet look" interior... What the heck was that? Is it supposed to look like someone peed on the seat?

John Burchfield
03-26-2010, 12:29 AM
What the heck was that? Is it supposed to look like someone peed on the seat?

Oh now Steve, c'mon! Who would DARE desecrate such a venerable machine as a hightop like that! The wet look is a glossy finish on the vinyl, that really does look, well, wet! The first time I saw one it was pretty stunning. The only color I've seen it in is red. I didn't know that '72 was the only year Superior offered this. The link to this car has been removed. Wonder if it's now in the care of a PCS member?