PDA

View Full Version : 1970 superior ambulance parts?

John Zicha
02-15-2018, 03:31 AM
I'm looking for a couple parts that would strictly be superior coach builders
Trim above the rear windows on both sides (these seem to be the same with Caddys Pontiacs etc.?
ANYTHING that would go in the back which would be part of the conversion. We have almost nothing original in the back of the car. Mounts, stretcher, curtains etc..

Steve Ahlstedt
02-15-2018, 08:43 AM
As posted elsewhere, I have almost completed the interior of my 1976 Cadillac Superior. Please post pictures of your interior so we can suggest what you need.

When it comes to first aid equipment, are you looking for period correct or are you looking for current equipment you could use if you stumbled upon an incident during your travels?

A current fire extinguisher located for easy access should be planned as should be a wheel chock, tool set, road cones and flares.

Although I carry portable radios on the local emergency service frequencies, I also carry a cell phone (with charger) to contact assistance if needed.

Bill Marcy
02-15-2018, 10:01 AM
John, I sent you a pm. I think I have some stuff for you.

John Zicha
02-15-2018, 10:58 AM
As posted elsewhere, I have almost completed the interior of my 1976 Cadillac Superior. Please post pictures of your interior so we can suggest what you need.

When it comes to first aid equipment, are you looking for period correct or are you looking for current equipment you could use if you stumbled upon an incident during your travels?

A current fire extinguisher located for easy access should be planned as should be a wheel chock, tool set, road cones and flares.

Although I carry portable radios on the local emergency service frequencies, I also carry a cell phone (with charger) to contact assistance if needed.
Thanks for info..we know what it needs, we are a first aid and rescue squad lol. I'm trying to get the period correct stuff that disappeared out of the back. Stretcher with mount curtains equipment for show etc.

John ED Renstrom
02-15-2018, 11:38 AM
From the cowl back everything is superior only the only part shared across the manufactures would be the rear bumper.
But Bill has a deal for you.

Jim Staruk
02-15-2018, 03:38 PM
I'm looking for a couple parts that would strictly be superior coach builders
Trim above the rear windows on both sides (these seem to be the same with Caddys Pontiacs etc.?
ANYTHING that would go in the back which would be part of the conversion. We have almost nothing original in the back of the car. Mounts, stretcher, curtains etc..

I have many leftover parts from my '72 Superior parts car. Lots of window trim. Please post a list of what you need. Jim

Paul Steinberg
02-15-2018, 09:02 PM
1972 is a different body style than the 1970.

John Zicha
02-16-2018, 06:34 AM
I am in search of this on BOTH sides. All other exterior trim we have.

John ED Renstrom
02-16-2018, 12:14 PM
They are stainless steel. And if I'm not mistaken way shorter then most. But the good news is they are all the same shape. You may have to trim a set down. If Bill didn't get them I might have one. it is to warm up today they are out side see if i can find one. But what you have if they are only stained should buff out.

John Zicha
03-08-2018, 03:34 AM
I have learned NOT to make assumptions when looking for items for this car!!! Would a regular molded carpet kit for a deville or fleetwood fit the interior compartment? If little trims or cuts here and there are needed that is fine. I wanted to make sure it'll fit width wise from door sill to door sill....PLEASE tell me its standard? :confused:

John Zicha
03-08-2018, 07:28 AM
Also wondering what might have gone in the spot behind the driver's seat next to the jump seat???

Kurt Arends
03-08-2018, 09:00 AM
Um..... the cabinet.

John Zicha
03-08-2018, 09:03 AM
Um..... the cabinet.

Great....something else I get to look for lol

Kurt Arends
03-08-2018, 09:10 AM
Original cabinets are extremely tough to find. That was usually the first thing that got tossed when it first came out of service and some "knuckle-head" bought it with grand ideas of turning it into a limousine. They usually lost interest in the project shortly after pitching the cabinet.

I do know where there is one........... but it would require a road trip to Amarillo, TX to get it.

Bill Marcy
03-08-2018, 09:15 AM
John, try Peter Grave, he has a couple of Superiors in his salvage yard. Peter is a member of this forum. If he does not have a cabinet, I may know where there might be a cabinet in a 68 combo, not the same, but better than an empty space.

Kurt Arends
03-08-2018, 09:44 AM
A cabinet in a combo? Now that would be extremely rare! 99.9% of all combos just have a small storage compartment built into the steel partition itself. You would basically have to switch out the entire partition in that scenario. I think I have only ever heard of 1 combo that was ordered with a real cabinet.

I have to disagree with Bill on the last part of his response. IMHO..... do it correctly or don't waste the time, effort, and money doing it. Wait and find a correct, original cabinet. I would rather look at a hole in the partition than something that was cobbled together! They are out there. When you do find one, it will most likely require a road trip on your part. They are extremly easy to take out and install. Something like 6 bolts through the floor that are easily accessible top and bottom.

John Zicha
03-08-2018, 09:46 AM
John, try Peter Grave, he has a couple of Superiors in his salvage yard. Peter is a member of this forum. If he does not have a cabinet, I may know where there might be a cabinet in a 68 combo, not the same, but better than an empty space.
Thanks Bill...I talked to Mr. Grave on the phone a few days ago and when the weather gets better I'm taking a drive out his way.

Blake Sherwin
03-08-2018, 12:19 PM
My 68 M&M combination does have several cabinets. There is one in that spot and there is also an upper cabinet. It also has the steel storage compartment underneath one of the doors too. I dont think I have a picture of it handy though

Blake Sherwin
03-08-2018, 12:30 PM
A cabinet in a combo? Now that would be extremely rare! 99.9% of all combos just have a small storage compartment built into the steel partition itself. You would basically have to switch out the entire partition in that scenario. I think I have only ever heard of 1 combo that was ordered with a real cabinet.

I have to disagree with Bill on the last part of his response. IMHO..... do it correctly or don't waste the time, effort, and money doing it. Wait and find a correct, original cabinet. I would rather look at a hole in the partition than something that was cobbled together! They are out there. When you do find one, it will most likely require a road trip on your part. They are extremly easy to take out and install. Something like 6 bolts through the floor that are easily accessible top and bottom.

Is this the compartment your talking about? Or does this qualify as a cabinet? There is another overhanging above that is not pictured. fun fact, I found a folded american flag in the upper storage area. No I did not unfold it.

Steve Loftin
03-08-2018, 12:44 PM
Mr. Zicha needs a cabinet from an ambulance, not a combination. It would look something like this:

John ED Renstrom
03-08-2018, 01:23 PM
standard cowl. standard floor to the center of the seat. go in yes fit no but other then make your own it's all at is there. the transmission hump is smaller so you end up with a little extra in the back there. the front half of a 4 door is all you will need. but you got to buy the whole car. superior used the rubber faced just behind the seat and the on the divider. a little care getting it off and you can save it. they clean up nicely.

Blake Sherwin
03-08-2018, 01:33 PM
Mr. Zicha needs a cabinet from an ambulance, not a combination. It would look something like this:

Thanks for the clarification. That certainly different from what my combo has.

John ED Renstrom
03-08-2018, 02:16 PM
most likely like the second one down for the space pictured. one would be better off building one from scratch then swapping the divider out from a combo. as they are a way different style. the combo still has the style of a Hearse with the ambulance is all business. the nice this is they are just held in place with long screws the bad this is that Formica chips so easy. here is a 69 , 70, 71 car with that style cabinet. as you can see they used simile a number 0f years. old eyes and thumbnails. missed the70 one got a combo

Kurt Arends
03-08-2018, 05:30 PM
Better yet........ wait and find an original cabinet!!

Bill Marcy
03-08-2018, 06:03 PM
John, I made a mistake, you definitely need an ambulance cabinet.

Paul Steinberg
03-08-2018, 07:11 PM
If you order a carpet for a DeVille or Fleetwood 4 door sedan, the carpet will fit without any modifications to it. The correct carpet to order is the standard with jute backing, and the cut plush pile, or the ultra cut plush pile, in black. I have never seen anything but black carpets in any professional car, but that doesn't mean that they never used a color coordinating carpet. Look at the dash, and you will see that it is black, even though the door panels and seats might be red or some other color.

Denny Shira
03-08-2018, 11:46 PM
Hello John. I know where there is a 65 Superior high headroom sitting in a recycling yard about 3 miles from me. it is pretty picked over, but the medical cabinet might still be there.
I'll be glad to look, and get it out for you. Have to wait a couple of weeks till it drys up some. any one here know if this is a viable swap, please chime in.

Kurt Arends
03-08-2018, 11:51 PM
Not sure on '65. Someone on this site has to have the ambulance accessories brochure for those years of Superiors. Those brochures are a "must have", if you have one of their ambulances!

There were multiple cabinet options in any given year for Superior. I see that your '69 has the elevated floor under the cabinet itself. Not all configurations had that elevated floor. The '63/'64 Superior Parts & Service manual shows a cabinet that is identical to Ed's first of three photos, so I am assuming that the cabinet options were the same in '69 as they were in '65. Now, I never like to "assume" anything. Measure your elevated floor section measurement between the partition and back edge and compare that to any cabinets that you might find. Also compare the former cabinet's "ghost" in your flooring to any cabinet that you might find.

Rich Koski
03-09-2018, 09:34 AM
We just picked up a 1970 brochure last weekend at autorama.

Tim Prieur
03-09-2018, 09:51 AM
If no one else posts I will dig out my 65 tonight. One major difference is the cabinet in my 65 is all metal. No formica.

Terry Lange
03-09-2018, 01:02 PM
I think the metal cabinets were standard equipment in the Superior Pontiacs of that era, at least any that I have seen. I imagine a Pontiac customer could have upgraded to formica if they chose to. I don't recall seeing metal cabinets in any '70 Superior Cadillacs.

John ED Renstrom
03-09-2018, 01:28 PM
no pictures of a 65 but here is a 66. of note the 63 we redid for Brendon has a metal cabinet in it. the configuration of door and O2 storage or not changes but I think as long as it one for the attendants set on the right it will have the same foot print

Kurt Arends
03-09-2018, 02:33 PM
I believe that the cabinet that John is looking for is the 4th photo in the top row in Rich's photos. It's the same cabinet that I have in my '75 Superior 54".

Tim Prieur
03-09-2018, 09:56 PM
Here is the image for the Cadillac cabinet in 65. It does look like it was Formica unlike Pontiac which was metal and just as Ed depicted. Certainly worth checking out a donor car if available. Good hunting!