PDA

View Full Version : So-called "Short Hearse"

Bruce Taylor
01-23-2018, 01:16 PM
This listing was featured on the web site "Barnfinds.com" (very interesting site by the way). I very much doubt it was built as a short hearse, contrary to the claim in the listing. Any idea who the original coachbuilder might have been?

Bruce

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/1954-cadillac-hearse-baby/6460700884.html

Paul Steinberg
01-23-2018, 02:54 PM
I see no evidence of it having been cut and shortened on the body, however, it had to have been done at least in the frame. The trim on one side looks correct, but the other side is missing, and that is going to be a big problem to finding the missing trim, unless it is a standard Cadillac part, which I doubt. It does look like an interesting project, but considering the purchase price, transportation, and lack of value once it is completed, I can't realistically see much interest in the project. On the other hand, if there were a FD with deep pockets, they might consider it, since it would be a tax deductible investment.

Steve Loftin
01-23-2018, 03:34 PM
Yet another seller--likely lobotomized early in life--with zero procar knowledge making a ridiculous claim. It's obviously a cut-and-splice hack job of an innocent 1950 Superior.

This car needs to be parted and then crushed as soon as possible. It has suffered long enough.

Peter Grave
01-23-2018, 07:01 PM
I'm with Steve on its whats left of a Superior. Who ever spliced the roof was a hell of a welder I can't see any sign of a seam. Calls the question WHY! Another of my departed friend and drivers "you could drive down the hall make a right turn into the bathroom without a second cut". Perhaps someone should start a Pro Car Freak Museum there seem to be a lot of examples, Just more proof of the serious mental problems existing in the USA.

Kurt Arends
01-23-2018, 07:09 PM
.......... but, it would make a great clown car for the Shrine Circus!

John ED Renstrom
01-24-2018, 12:15 AM
OK people what do you call this? with the amount of car chopped out of it you could get nothing but a child's coffin in it. simple hack splice job. they just cut the flat part of the roof out and used both rounded ends

Chuck Kramer
01-24-2018, 08:00 AM
I'd like to know what it's intended use was? Circus car? Shriners Clown Car? Used to transport injured or deceased small pets? Can't imagine a small childs hearse. Or, did somebody just have too much free time on their hands?

Steven Ingels
01-24-2018, 11:39 AM
Pet Cemetery Hearse maybe.
This is my first post.
I love this website.
Steve Loftin you are hilarious.

Blake Sherwin
01-24-2018, 11:50 AM
Where was this hearse when Gary Coleman passed?

Clay Sellick
01-24-2018, 11:51 AM
Looks to actually be a thing. Morris Minor Hearse Company makes them. Looks like there is only room for a driver, and the coffin slides in where the passenger seat goes.
http://morrisminorhearse.co.uk/119.JPG
http://morrisminorhearse.co.uk/124.JPG

John ED Renstrom
01-24-2018, 12:10 PM
just like the push me pull me cars you see with two front ends welded together. just something fun to do to see if you can. remember they were cheap cars. so it not like you had a lot of money tied up in them. novelty is most likely the reason this one has not been allowed to die. if like has been stated there were 4 of them then most likely Shriners parade wagons. one look around this car shows it way to far gone to be practically put in decent shape on the road. now the rat rod crown my go for it.

here is one used for a attention grabber at a storage facility in Kansas

Chuck Kramer
01-24-2018, 12:23 PM
just like the push me pull me cars you see with two front ends welded together. just something fun to do to see if you can. remember they were cheap cars. so it not like you had a lot of money tied up in them. novelty is most likely the reason this one has not been allowed to die. if like has been stated there were 4 of them then most likely Shriner's parade wagons. one look around this car shows it way to far gone to be practically put in decent shape on the road. now the rat rod crown my go for it.

here is one used for a attention grabber at a storage facility in Kansans

PERFECT car for someone who always transports a back seat driver!

Paul Steinberg
01-24-2018, 12:47 PM
You must consider this first purpose built safety car.. The Sir Vival, built in Worcester MA by an engineer that taught at Worcester Boys Trade School, back in 1958 out of a Hudson automobile.

Peter Grave
01-24-2018, 02:45 PM
Ralph Nader would have had a heart attack!

Russell Street
01-24-2018, 03:53 PM
Where was this hearse when Gary Coleman passed?

WOW......that's just a little harsh, funny and true but a little harsh!!! :D:D:D

Blake Sherwin
01-24-2018, 04:35 PM
WOW......that's just a little harsh, funny and true but a little harsh!!! :D:D:D

I almost didnt post it but I thought you all could probably handle it so did

Mike McDonald
01-25-2018, 08:50 AM
Looks like the picture was taken after the recent Ventura County floods, with an ("X") painted on the side indicating no bodies found inside. MM

Darren Bedford
01-26-2018, 12:37 AM
Looks like the first official CREMATION hearse.

The Cadillac looks incredible compared to the Morris disaster.

Some hot rodder could make use of the Cadillac. The Morris, not so much.

Would take a lot of money to make the Cadillac a running road worthy car.
That's were anyone would draw the line and hopefully part it out.

To each their own.

Darren

Chuck Kramer
01-26-2018, 08:34 AM
Id like to see some interior shots of the inside back. I wonder if wonder if anything was ever done to the back area?