PDA

View Full Version : Say hello to my little friend

Daniel Scully
10-27-2017, 12:36 AM
A long long down the road project. Or just sell it off . Came with a early cot. Can anyone identify the year ? Thanks

Gus Boucher
10-27-2017, 07:48 AM
1971 or 1972

Philip Scanio
10-27-2017, 08:07 AM
The cot looks like 1950's. When did Ferno merge with Washington? Did you haul the car all the way from Texas?

John ED Renstrom
10-27-2017, 10:35 AM
I. Have a single level Washington that was labeled the same way . It got put in the. 58 were it belonged. Been many a time I wished my 72 was the limo style. Mostly diagonal parking times. Looks like a loaded up one with the trap door.

Daniel Scully
10-27-2017, 01:04 PM
1971 or 1972

It is a 72.

Daniel Scully
10-27-2017, 01:05 PM
The cot looks like 1950's. When did Ferno merge with Washington? Did you haul the car all the way from Texas?

A friend brought it out here ,and I got it from them.

Daniel Scully
10-27-2017, 01:06 PM
I. Have a single level Washington that was labeled the same way . It got put in the. 58 were it belonged. Been many a time I wished my 72 was the limo style. Mostly diagonal parking times. Looks like a loaded up one with the trap door.

Well hell lets make a deal.:)

Steve Loftin
10-27-2017, 08:30 PM
The cot is a #54, in spite of what it says on the frame.

Steve Loftin
10-27-2017, 08:33 PM
As seen in Texas a few years ago:

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showpost.php?p=50256&postcount=75

John ED Renstrom
10-27-2017, 10:18 PM
See she has picked a a few more scars since then.

Nicholas Studer
10-27-2017, 10:20 PM
The cot is a #54, in spite of what it says on the frame.

F-W offered to modify Model 21's into 54's for a nominal fee. That's probably why it says 21...

The cot - at maximum and increasingly unlikely - dates to 1963. Much likely earlier.

Kurt Arends
10-27-2017, 10:42 PM
"I visited the Henderson F.H. in Coleman, TX in 1998. Although out of service, they still had this 1972 Seville ambulance that had been converted to a combination by its previous owner. Originally orange and white, it had zippers in all four corners of the headliner in addition to the usual one in the center front. There was also quite a bit of old ambulance equipment in the garage. I would like to have bought the car, but I had two procars at the time and no extra space.

This car reportedly went to California, and the old ambulance goodies are long gone (I didn't say I left empty handed!)."

Well there ya go Ed!! This one REALLY needs to be put back to an ambulance as it was originally! Very unusual to see one that has been converted from an ambulance to a combination!! Very rare car in its ambulance configuration!

Dan,
Do any of the forward sections of the floor have sections that are fitted for oxygen bottles, etc.?

Kurt Arends
10-27-2017, 10:48 PM
See she has picked a a few more scars since then.

Not really! All of the "whiskey dings" on the passenger side are visible in Steve's photos!

Daniel Scully
10-27-2017, 10:51 PM
Dan,
Do any of the forward sections of the floor have sections that are fitted for oxygen bottles, etc.?

I, ll have to take a look.

Paul Steinberg
10-28-2017, 08:33 AM
The sunshine in California hasn't been kind to the drapes. I wonder what caused the linoleum to deteriorate so dramatically if it has been out of service for so many years.

John ED Renstrom
10-28-2017, 10:37 AM
So what made this on a straight ambulance rather then a combo?? The only thing different on the floor arrangement from my combo is the storage compartment. Then you best look again at that right quarter it now does not have the same shape as the earlier pictures.

But a look at the CB tag will tell if it started life as a combo or not. zippers in the headliner say combo to me.

I would take it in a flash. Swap you a geo convertible for it:thumbsup:

Kurt Arends
10-28-2017, 11:14 AM
So what made this on a straight ambulance rather then a combo?? The only thing different on the floor arrangement from my combo is the storage compartment. Then you best look again at that right quarter it now does not have the same shape as the earlier pictures.

But a look at the CB tag will tell if it started life as a combo or not. zippers in the headliner say combo to me.

I would take it in a flash. Swap you a geo convertible for it:thumbsup:

That right quarter panel looks exactly the same to me. It just now has another 20 years worth of surface rust to highlight the damage where the paint was broken from the scrape. Steve is saying that it had zippers in the headliner at all 4 corners of the roof, which says ambulance to me. A closer look at the floor and C-B tag will tell more, but I wouldn't challenge Steve's assessment on much!

Daniel Scully
10-28-2017, 03:20 PM
Some more pics.:)

Bill Marcy
10-28-2017, 06:10 PM
I love those shorties, especially when they are an ambulance. That 71 to 76 Olds was a nice car too. It needs a whole lot of love, but could be a beauty, when done. Does it currently run and drive? Good luck with it Dan.

Kurt Arends
10-28-2017, 08:17 PM
C-B's body tag says combination! It, obviously, was not originally orange & white then. The blue interior would have really been odd if it were originally orange & white. The color combo that it is now would be a good color combination.

John ED Renstrom
10-28-2017, 09:16 PM
not to unusual to find a combo converted to a ambulance. I do know were there is enough flooring of that same pattern and color also.

John ED Renstrom
10-28-2017, 09:35 PM
but you would think they could have learned how to park after the first go round. I could not see the first lick in the tablet.

bet it looked sharp with the 4 corner torpedo lights and the beacon ray. still a lot of potential there. I'm guessing it was order with the intention of using it as a ambulance. to much stuff not to have.

mine was ordered with the intention of using it as the coroners wagon. probably the only live body it hauled was Mom when we brought her home from the hospital. I drill out the lead plug for the light.

Daniel Scully
10-28-2017, 11:30 PM
I love those shorties, especially when they are an ambulance. That 71 to 76 Olds was a nice car too. It needs a whole lot of love, but could be a beauty, when done. Does it currently run and drive? Good luck with it Dan.

Does not run at the moment ,have to chk it out. Supposedly it got hot on the drive out and was parked from there. Kind of a rescue buy , it might have headed to scrape. Have $1400 in it. No real plans at the moment and probably not in the near future. Anybody interested in it can have it at that price. If you can do some of the work it might be worth it but if you have to have the work done probably not. :eek:

Bill Marcy
10-29-2017, 08:24 AM
Does not run at the moment ,have to chk it out. Supposedly it got hot on the drive out and was parked from there. Kind of a rescue buy , it might have headed to scrape. Have $1400 in it. No real plans at the moment and probably not in the near future. Anybody interested in it can have it at that price. If you can do some of the work it might be worth it but if you have to have the work done probably not. :eek:

Those 455s are a nice strong and smooth running engine. Kathy Mattea even sang a song entitled "455 Rocket" back in the late 90s. Obviously, it is a project, but for $1400, it offers a good opportunity to anyone who can do some, or all of the work themselves. Although it will not be me, I see this car done in pure white, perhaps with some blue on it.

John ED Renstrom
10-29-2017, 11:00 AM
Now if I just had something Dan wanted:rolleyes:

Bill Marcy
10-29-2017, 11:16 AM

He wants your 72 combination, doesn't he? I would think you could really make Dan's car gorgeous again!

Paul Steinberg
10-29-2017, 11:26 AM

You do have something that he wants... $1400 from your wallet, minus the buffalo dung and moths... LOL..:D

Kurt Arends
10-29-2017, 12:04 PM
If it lived its life in Texas and Southern California, it should have a very solid, mostly rust-free body and floor. The photos make it look like it might have a rust issue with that right skirt, but fairly easily corrected. Well worth the price!

Steve Loftin
10-29-2017, 06:01 PM
C-B's body tag says combination! It, obviously, was not originally orange & white then. The blue interior would have really been odd if it were originally orange & white. The color combo that it is now would be a good color combination.

I'm always up for a (definitive) correction.

There was evidence of orange and white paint under the black and silver. I suspect this car had C/B torpedo lights on the corners. IIRC, there was the standard center cab headliner zipper, as well.

That, and...owner (the late) Donnie Henderson told me it used to be an ambulance.

Steve Loftin
10-29-2017, 06:04 PM
C-B's body tag says combination! It, obviously, was not originally orange & white then. The blue interior would have really been odd if it were originally orange & white.

I've seen several orange and white ambulances over the years with blue as well as orange, tan, brown, and maroon interiors.

Daniel Scully
10-29-2017, 06:54 PM
I've seen several orange and white ambulances over the years with blue as well as orange, tan, brown, and maroon interiors.

You, Can see orange and white under the skirts area and on the left door the orange looks like the first coat of paint.

Kurt Arends
10-29-2017, 10:09 PM
So, what does the "S-Comb." designate? I do know what "Comb." means, but the "S"?? Could it be special order?

Also, can anyone decipher the paint code?

Larri Dirks
10-29-2017, 10:27 PM
My guess would be the "S" stands for seville

Daniel Scully
10-29-2017, 10:32 PM
F-W offered to modify Model 21's into 54's for a nominal fee. That's probably why it says 21...

The cot - at maximum and increasingly unlikely - dates to 1963. Much likely earlier.

What are the differences between the two? Thanks

Daniel Scully
10-29-2017, 10:41 PM

I,ll trade you 2 for one.:) And I have everything for the other one to make a combo ,including the removable panels.

Kurt Arends
10-29-2017, 11:32 PM
Wait a minute! You are willing to trade your Cottington limo style end-loader and this Seville limo for Ed's Seville Landau combination??

Daniel Scully
10-30-2017, 12:32 AM
Wait a minute! You are willing to trade your Cottington limo style end-loader and this Seville limo for Ed's Seville Landau combination??

The 67 :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

John ED Renstrom
10-30-2017, 10:52 AM
carrots dangling and no more room at the in but it would make a nice stable had I not let my 72 high top go. of course there is that one rotting away in the yard in WY and I have all the parts laying in the trailer:rolleyes:

but there is no doubt it was painted orange before it was silver. not a lot of difference in the floor plan on the Seville. here is one from a 72 Wayne flier and the body tag off my 72 combo to give you a idea how they lettered there tags. having never see a Seville ambulance to check they may be all listed as combos. you do see the linen cabinet in this flier and the trap door

as for the difference in the guaranies the Washington 21 was a single level I had not heard of the send it in and they would refurbish it into the 54 but it stands to reason they offered it and Nick has done his research. here is a pictures of a Washington 21

Kurt Arends
10-30-2017, 11:28 AM
Here ya go Ed!! Currently listed as Superior, but clearly C-B.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132380116580?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Kurt Arends
10-30-2017, 02:20 PM
Just because there is orange paint beneath the silver paint does not mean that it was originally orange. Some of these rigs had multiple color changes in their lives. It may have been originally silver, changed to orange, and then changed back to silver! The only quick way to tell is to decipher the color code on C-B's body tag.

John ED Renstrom
10-30-2017, 10:19 PM
both CB and MM used DuPont paints and those are DuPont numbers. the 5338 is the cream white. the 31 is the Omaha orange from the truck line. remember that was standard hw orange in the late 60s early 70s. one of the nice things with the Wayne line is finding the original paint of the tag is easy, if you have a DuPont chip book for those years

Kurt Arends
10-31-2017, 10:55 AM
My DuPont Books show Omaha Orange in all the truck lines as being their number 93-082 for Dulux, 31-L for Lucite, and 31 for Duco.

What a freak of a rig when new with that exterior/interior color combo! Definitely worth restoring to original!

Kurt Arends
10-31-2017, 11:08 AM
Reminds me of this Superior Consort, which was also originally built/equipped as an ambulance.

Daniel Scully
10-31-2017, 09:23 PM
A few more pics, the interior is pretty decent a little elbow grease would go a long way. :) The radio panel is butchered but that can be replaced .Nothing cut into the dash.

John ED Renstrom
10-31-2017, 09:37 PM
I don't know why they have to do that trying to put a radio in. lucky I do have one more piece of that wood grain stick on vinyl. as the sheet I got to fit the landau was big enough for two. but the cut up the bottom of the linen cabinet is a real mystery.

Daniel Scully
11-05-2017, 09:51 AM
I don't know why they have to do that trying to put a radio in. lucky I do have one more piece of that wood grain stick on vinyl. as the sheet I got to fit the landau was big enough for two. but the cut up the bottom of the linen cabinet is a real mystery.

When you pick it up ,I have a good radio delete panel to go with it and or a panel with a stock AM/ FM. :)

John ED Renstrom
11-05-2017, 10:20 AM
Thanks. Any guesses on the holes in the over head. With the headliner cut the way it was is looks like CBs work.

Daniel Scully
11-05-2017, 04:31 PM
Thanks. Any guesses on the holes in the over head. With the headliner cut the way it was is looks like CBs work.

My guess is light switches?

John ED Renstrom
11-05-2017, 08:13 PM
I believe that they are cut into the dash over by the brake realize. that were it is on my Seville. looking at the fan/light double switch I guessing was a AC unit or is that behind the passengers seat? see a vent were I have a cabnet

Daniel Scully
11-05-2017, 08:22 PM
I believe that they are cut into the dash over by the brake realize. that were it is on my Seville. looking at the fan/light double switch I guessing was a AC unit or is that behind the passengers seat? see a vent were I have a cabnet

Do not think there is anything behind the seat ,like a lwb one. There is a vent there I will need to see where it goes.:)