PDA

View Full Version : 62 M-M Guardian Ambulance - Auction

Steve Lichtman
01-30-2017, 07:58 AM
A Guardian? For sale? I believe you read that right. At an upcoming Vanderbrink auction, this photo was posted. It looks to be a 1962 M-M Cadillac Guardian ambulance.

The auction is from a collector in Ohio, who had over 700 vehicles. It's July 15-16.

Here's the link to the auction. (http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auctions_details.php?detail=205&allimages=NO)

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auction_images/205/fullsize/020.JPG

Steve Lichtman
01-30-2017, 08:04 AM
There's also a '48 (?) Henney Packard ambulance, a very unusual early-50s Studebaker airport limo, and a 46-48 S&S (?) combo.

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auction_images/205/fullsize/0260.JPG
http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auction_images/205/fullsize/013.JPG
http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auction_images/206/fullsize/0293.JPG

Nicholas Studer
01-30-2017, 08:12 AM
I hope someone from the PCS takes it home, and it stays in the US.

Kurt Arends
01-30-2017, 08:34 AM
This looks like it could be the '62 M-M Guardian that was in Phoenix!

What a fun auction! Some extremely cool iron on this auction!

Kurt Arends
01-30-2017, 08:45 AM
I would say that it is the same rig. Note the same after-market rectangular mirror on the passenger side, missing roof lights in the front, etc.

Attila Bethlenfalvy
01-30-2017, 09:10 AM
In fact same rig that DVAP sold in '96 or '97 before moving to new location which had not surfaced since.

A close friend in nearby Sandusky has spoken of Hackenberger collection for years. Never once mentioned procars located within.

Brady D Smith
01-30-2017, 09:54 AM
You guys are welcome to the Guardian, but there are a few other things there that I could sink my teeth into. That little Clipper wagon, for one. One of those Divco's for another.

Richard Vyse
01-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Calling Sarah, your dream can come true...

John ED Renstrom
01-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Horders are a different mind set. Be it dogs, cats ,horses or cars. Why gather up stuff you never want to repair or use.

Kurt Arends
01-30-2017, 04:26 PM
At least it looks like these cars were pretty well preserved after the current owner acquired them. Most of them look to be in dry, indoor storage.

I will never understand those that hoard cars thinking that they are preserving them, but leave them sitting outside where they continue to rot into the ground.

Russell Street
01-30-2017, 05:59 PM
Well, this post solves a mystery that has had me stumped for the past several months. Back in the summer a whole lot (probably 40 to 50) of very diverse and extremely unusual vehicles appeared on the site of the old Norwalk Bargain Center on RT. 250 on the north side of Norwalk.

Then in the fall, a bunch more appeared on the old Wolohan Lumber lot in Avery, including about 8 Divcos. The day I spotted them, we didn't have a camera with us. Next time we went over that way we took the camera, but Certain-Teed Corp. (right next door) had jammed the front part of the lot full of shingles. We weren't able to any kind of photos due to heavy brush along the fence, and shingles blocking the rest of the view. I've planned on going over there when the shingles move out and before the brush grows in and get some photos.

Now I've got more information, I can do some detective work on this project. Those Divcos appear to be in fairly good shape. I'm real curious where the indoor storage photos were take....a visit to the local Fire Chief should get me that answer.

More information to follow when I get it.

I just had Barb look at the indoor photos and she says they are inside the old Norwalk Bargain Center, I can't argue with her..... looks like it.

Paul Steinberg
01-30-2017, 09:33 PM

I just had Barb look at the indoor photos and she says they are inside the old Norwalk Bargain Center, I can't argue with her..... looks like it.

Does that mean that these cars and trucks are going to be sold at bargain prices??

Todd Merrifield
01-30-2017, 10:20 PM
I have a feeling this will end up being one of the big stories for the PCS in 2017. Hopefully there won't be too big of a bidding war and someone who truly appreciates it will get a fair deal. I have a feeling bidding will go high enough to discourage any rat-rodders though.

Russell Street
01-30-2017, 10:34 PM
Does that mean that these cars and trucks are going to be sold at bargain prices??

I wouldn't bet on it!!!!!

Kurt Arends
01-30-2017, 10:44 PM
I am not as concerned with the selling prices as I am with having them end up in the hands of someone who will properly restore and care for them. I am content with watching from afar!

Kurt Arends
01-30-2017, 10:48 PM
However, I am willing and able to assist the new owner with some of the rig's lighting needs!!

John ED Renstrom
01-31-2017, 11:33 AM
Starting the hipe this early will print out the craziness of people. As the Nebraska auction did.big money buying just to out bid each other.

Kurt Arends
01-31-2017, 11:40 AM
Auctions like this one is what Yvette does best!! No one gets more money for project cars than she does! She is definitely the one to use in selling large collections like this!

I used to get her monthly/quarterly e-mails that went out to everyone on her mailing list. Her grammar/spelling/usage were atrocious! Someone must have finally told her to either stop doing it or have someone else do it for her.

John ED Renstrom
01-31-2017, 11:45 AM
A gal like me.

Kurt Arends
01-31-2017, 01:50 PM
Ed,
I have gotten to where I can understand everything that you write! It's kinda scary! Lol

There is a big difference in that Yvette's e-mails were used to promote her business. This (PCS) site is just social. Yvette is getting better at identifying the vehicles that she sells as to year/make/model. Early on, she often didn't hit it within 5 years. I think that some of her naivety worked in her favor with her buyers.

Darren Bedford
01-31-2017, 10:34 PM
Ed

Don't worry about anything. We get everything you say.

Even more, we love your work !

See you in Flint brother,
Darren

:thumbsup:

Brendan Martin
02-02-2017, 10:41 PM
I fully appreciate it's rarity. I truly hope it ends up in the right home, preferably in our car club. I personally find these cars... not attractive, to be polite. It will probably command some very high bids, but for me, it's about going out to the garage and seeing a car I love. Best of luck for the folks here going after it.

Kurt Arends
02-02-2017, 11:31 PM
This one definitely does look like a POS, in its present state. Missing Federal Model 18s(was normally the way they were ordered) on the front of the roof, missing skirts, and the wire wheel covers don't help matters! I think that the '60 Guardians looked better than the '61/'62s personally.

Kurt Arends
02-03-2017, 11:33 AM
I see that Yvette has pulled this auction off of her website. I wonder what is going on here??

Steve Lichtman
02-09-2017, 04:29 PM
Still there, look under "auction schedule". :cool:

Abe Bush
02-09-2017, 09:20 PM
Auctions like this one is what Yvette does best!! No one gets more money for project cars than she does! She is definitely the one to use in selling large collections like this!

I used to get her monthly/quarterly e-mails that went out to everyone on her mailing list. Her grammar/spelling/usage were atrocious! Someone must have finally told her to either stop doing it or have someone else do it for her.

At the Nebraska Chevy dealer where they sold a lot of old cars, some which had never been sold, and some that were trade-ins the dealer kept, she also called some of the used cars MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, which means the car has never been titled). She apparently didn't really understand how the MSO is used prior to titling it to the buyer at purchase time.

Kurt Arends
02-09-2017, 11:39 PM
Still there, look under "auction schedule". :cool:

It was gone from the auction schedule for a couple of days. She must have been re-working some of it.

Brady D Smith
02-10-2017, 07:04 AM
I have done Business with Yvette VanderBrink on a couple of occasions. I have found her to be honest, helpful, considerate, and courteous. In fact I found that she goes out of her way to tell you every negative thing about any car she's trying to sell. As to the condition of the Guardian, it appears to me to be in better shape than any of the cars I own was at the time I acquired them. If I were a Guardian fan I wouldn't be afraid to tackle it

Kurt Arends
02-10-2017, 08:50 AM
I totally agree with Brady. I have purchased 2 cars at her auctions and she is as honest as they come. Very nice gal, very "down to Earth", and extremely helpful. One of the 2 cars that I purchased did not have a title and I am sure that there was no title when the consigner purchased it. She announced at the beginning of the auction that she would produce titles on any vehicles sold without one, if the buyer requested one. I requested a title on the one that I purchased without one and Yvette had a good title to me within 3 weeks of my purchase! This particular auction was in South Dakota.

Abe Bush
02-10-2017, 10:13 PM
I fully appreciate it's rarity. I truly hope it ends up in the right home, preferably in our car club. I personally find these cars... not attractive, to be polite. It will probably command some very high bids, but for me, it's about going out to the garage and seeing a car I love. Best of luck for the folks here going after it.

I agree 100% Brendan. I think Thom McPherson, in his M-M book, when describing the Guardian, he described it as "the answer to the question nobody asked."

Kurt Arends
02-10-2017, 11:30 PM
........... but still probably the most illusive and sought after ambulance ever built!!

John ED Renstrom
02-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Just one of those attempts to cater to the bigger is better idoliadgy that has taken over EMS. we cringe at campers place a commercial chassis buy stand in awe of a van with a nose produced by a major company. They look top heavy and clumperson to a to me but I will reserve judgment till I can walk around and look at on in person.

Brady D Smith
02-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Yvette has read this thread. Said she had a computer program that didn't recognize some of these old car names so it would correct her spelling. I understand because that happens working on TPC! Anyway she said she would work on improving the spelling. I got a chuckle out of that. I think some of us are going to go down to this auction. Should be fun to watch.

Attila Bethlenfalvy
03-08-2017, 12:41 PM
Hundreds of auction images added over last few days. Up to 746 lots. Short videos continue to upload. Yvette will have a preliminary list published soon, although again, itemized auction lots will not occur until April.

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auction_images/205/fullsize/IMG_4798.JPG
http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auction_images/205/fullsize/IMG_4888.JPG
http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auction_images/205/fullsize/IMG_4876.JPG
http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auction_images/205/fullsize/IMG_4771.JPG
http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auction_images/205/fullsize/IMG_4849.JPG

Bolt cutters, aisle 62 please.

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auction_images/205/fullsize/IMG_4908.JPG

Steve Lichtman
03-08-2017, 04:27 PM
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the back of an M-M Guardian. After all that styling, smooth lines, and big rear overhang, do I see that the back door is really just....flat?

Interestingly, it has the same corner cut in the back door that a Eureka Hi-Boy of the same era does, too (see below). I guess to clear the overhang.

John ED Renstrom
03-08-2017, 10:02 PM
The combination lock would be awkward on a run though. Like I said hoarders are a different kind of people. He was after the unusual though. I would grab the pacer. Had a couple of then not bad cars

Kurt Arends
03-08-2017, 10:05 PM
Looks like someone was using it as a mini storage shed!

Richard Vyse
03-09-2017, 06:50 AM
Would that be a white Brecklin tuck in behind picture #4.

Kurt Arends
03-10-2017, 10:10 AM
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the back of an M-M Guardian. After all that styling, smooth lines, and big rear overhang, do I see that the back door is really just....flat?

Interestingly, it has the same corner cut in the back door that a Eureka Hi-Boy of the same era does, too (see below). I guess to clear the overhang.

The rear & back door of the Guardians are not flat. There is curvature, as you will better see in these photos.

Russell Street
03-11-2017, 02:38 PM
Just an observation.....quite a few of the vehicles that were in the outside lot at the old Bargain Center site have been moved. Don't have a clue where, just not there anymore.

I've also been trying to find out (with no success yet) if anybody knows for sure where the auction is going to be held. Neither one of the properties currently housing the vehicles is big enough to properly "spread" them out for proper viewing and evaluation. An auction of over 700 vehicles is going to take some space, at least to my way of thinking. Not only for the vehicles, but one has to think there are going to be a lot of folks attending this thing. Just sayin'!!!!

I'll keep checking.

Nicholas Studer
03-12-2017, 09:30 PM

I agree, the M-M/Cadillac "Guardian" is surely lacking in style and elegance compared to the 1960-1964 Eureka-Cadillac "Hi-Boy" models. :p

The cut-out is to allow for a spotlight, just like on the "Hi-Boy." You can see the holes present on the one for sale, plus it pictured in the attached 1962 "Guardian" ad from Fire Engineering I purchased maybe a year ago on eBay.

P.S.: I'd be happy to trade the hard copy to a "Guardian" enthusiast for "Hi-Boy" literature. :)

Looks like someone was using it as a mini storage shed!

The combination lock would be awkward on a run though. Like I said hoarders are a different kind of people. He was after the unusual though. I would grab the pacer. Had a couple of then not bad cars

Not unheard of later in service life apparently - primary sources are king. Here's an article from 1977 detailing how a private service there used a 1966 ambulance with a similar setup.

John ED Renstrom
03-12-2017, 09:38 PM
just goes to show you that nothing you can think of has not been done before.:D

Russell Street
05-14-2017, 05:36 PM
I took Barb out for breakfast in Norwalk this morning. On the way we went by the old Bargain Center property. A lot of the vehicles have been "staged" on the lot. The '62 Guardian is sitting right by the fence along Lais Rd., the front windows are down and the front area is exposed to the elements. Overall the car doesn't appear to be in terrible condition. The fender skirts are not on it.

As to everything else on the lot....the "newer" stuff is in fair shape, the "old" stuff is rough at best. They were unloading some vehicles from a trailer using a fork lift, kind of "manhandling" them if you will.

I did get a pretty good look at the Divco milk trucks a week or so ago. There are a total of 8, 2 of them are the short, slop backed models, the other 6 are bigger. Lots of surface rust, unable to get close enough to check overall condition better. Once again a lot of the vehicles at that lot are "rough".

I'm not sure how they're gonna stage all 700 vehicles on these lots. If any number of folks show up, parking is going to be a nightmare of monumental proportion!!!

Dwayne Brooks
05-15-2017, 04:45 PM
You're right Russ... AND it's the SAME weekend as the "Blue Suede Cruise" at Norwalk's Summit Motorsports Park raceway which is a huge show car event!

Kurt Arends
05-15-2017, 06:48 PM
If it is sitting outside and there is a lot of water leaking into it(windshield, roof vent, etc.), it is better to have the windows down a bit. Otherwise it would just turn into a big pressure cooker.

Kurt Arends
06-23-2017, 03:49 PM
This rig is REALLY rough! Cabinet missing and rear floor cut out. Huge project and will take someone with really deep pockets!

Kurt Arends
06-23-2017, 03:51 PM
More photos.

Nicholas Studer
06-23-2017, 04:52 PM
This rig is REALLY rough! Cabinet missing and rear floor cut out. Huge project and will take someone with really deep pockets!

My Hi-Boy keeps looking better and better to me. 1 month to starting restoration work! :D

Russell Street
06-23-2017, 05:00 PM
You're right Kurt based on these photos my calling it "not terrible" was probably pretty optimistic, sorry didn't mean to mislead anybody. Never got a look at the left side or interior.

Really "deep pockets" may be an understatement of significant proportions, more like "own a bank"!!!!

Kurt Arends
06-23-2017, 05:25 PM
All of the missing interior components will be the biggest hurdle, especially if you are wanting it to be 100% correct. Coming up with the correct cabinet would be nearly impossible without having one to look at and duplicate. I see that it is missing some of the extruded aluminum interior trim including one of the original Vani-Shades(left quarter window). The exterior issues(metal work) are the least of its issues!

John ED Renstrom
06-23-2017, 08:29 PM
Never seen the inside of one or any pictures of inside. But most likely the divider cabinet would be standard MM for that year. The floor is a easy fix it some one would give it a bath and stack the parts laying in back do you could see what there is there.. it might be a good 500 dollar car. If it was running and moving under it's own power it would be worth a grand more. . I would be more concerned of mechanical problems sitting in one spot. For this long. You can bet on a number of things that just rotted away , seaze up and are in need of major overhaul. Or it will fire right up and run like a top. The worse case would be it goes cheap and some one drags it home to sit under the trees for years to come.

Kurt Arends
06-23-2017, 10:24 PM
I am guessing that it will sell in the $5000 range, given its rarity. I don't think we will have to worry about it being parked under a tree to rot away. As I recall, the cabinet is unique to the Guardian. As with most Vanderbrink auctions, everything is sold As-Is, Where-Is and no attempt is made to get anything started or running.

We will find out in a 3 weeks!

Nicholas Studer
06-23-2017, 11:47 PM
As I recall, the cabinet is unique to the Guardian

You are correct Kurt - it is displayed in the above ad I posted.

Russell Street
06-24-2017, 01:43 PM
I am guessing that it will sell in the $5000 range, given its rarity. I don't think we will have to worry about it being parked under a tree to rot away. As I recall, the cabinet is unique to the Guardian. As with most Vanderbrink auctions, everything is sold As-Is, Where-Is and no attempt is made to get anything started or running.

We will find out in a 3 weeks!

For some reason I've always thought it would go for somewhere around $10,000 just because it's so rare. Then I've figured it would take another $25-30,000 to put, it, in pristine, condition. When all is said and done it would still be a very nice $12-15,000 car. Just my humble opinion.

As you said 3 weeks will give us our answer.

Kurt Arends
06-24-2017, 11:56 PM
It would be a $25,000-$30,000 car, if properly restored. Key words being "properly restored".

However, I think you are light on your cost of getting it there. I would say closer to $50,000 in restoration cost. This rig is not going to go to someone who is going to slap it together, get bored with it in a year, and then expect to flip it for a profit.

Paul Steinberg
06-25-2017, 08:37 AM
I think that you both are light on the estimated cost of restoration. I can see this restoration if done by an experienced restoration shop that would be a first class job, would cost north of $100,000. Today, the going rate in a restoration shop is between $150 - 200 per hour, unless you can get a contract price. I doubt that any shop would give a contract price on a job such as this, since there is no way to know what you are going to be getting into, until you tear it apart. Even then, there can be "surprises" lurking just underneath that no one can ever see before hand.

Peter Grave
06-25-2017, 10:32 AM
I vote with Paul in would be EASY to drop $100k at a "Restoration Shop". A rare rig that needs deep pockets or EDs devotion.

John ED Renstrom
06-25-2017, 11:06 AM
The problem with money is if you got it some one else wants it. There is no end to the amount of money you can wast getting any project done. But body wise I see nothing to get excited about. Interier will provide some challenges and mechanically is unknown. But all your buying is a money pit. As we all know. It is strange to me that so few of these have lasted today. Mainly just a few snap shots.

Paul Steinberg
06-25-2017, 11:25 AM
Like so many cars of the past that were considered "ugly" during there time, and were not preserved, the few remaining examples are suddenly desirable. Many people want the rarity, rather than the common, for many personal reasons. Just watch the collector car auctions and you will find many examples of this in action. Two wealthy bidders are willing to go head to head, until one of them finally realizes that they have allowed their ego to cloud good judgment, and drops out of the bidding. The biggest problem that I see with the possible restoration of this vehicle, is that for the masses of the collector car hobby, professional car collectors represent only a very small percentage. Of that small percentage, there are realistically only a few that could afford to take on a project as expensive as this one is going to be. I can see people that would consider owning this vehicle, would consider it as a status symbol, since to my knowledge there is only one other left in existence, and from what I was told, it is in better condition than this one. If and when it will be offered for sale is a question that cannot be answered with any certainty.
Many years ago, there was a Guardian ambulance offered for sale by Desert Valley Auto Parts in Arizona, and it sold quickly, and never resurfaced again. I wonder if this might be that same car. Unfortunately, I lost the one picture that I had of it, however, one of our other members might have save the picture.

Kurt Arends
06-25-2017, 01:12 PM
Paul,

It is the same rig that Desert Valley had.

Steve Loftin
06-25-2017, 05:36 PM
It would be a $25,000-$30,000 car, if properly restored. Key words being "properly restored".

However, I think you are light on your cost of getting it there. I would say closer to $50,000 in restoration cost. This rig is not going to go to someone who is going to slap it together, get bored with it in a year, and then expect to flip it for a profit.

Love it when the term "profit" is used in any discussion about procars - :yum:

Kurt Arends
06-25-2017, 09:24 PM
Very tough, if not impossible to do when restoring any old car. If you don't plan on keeping it for a long time and loving it, you had better just pass on all project cars.

Brendan Martin
06-25-2017, 10:03 PM

They're like boats, with sirens!

Tim Prieur
06-25-2017, 11:45 PM

One of the great attributes of this group is, you (we) are definitely not into it for the money. Well done :thumbsup:

Russell Street
07-08-2017, 10:28 AM
When Jeff and Derrick came to pick up the '64 for her weekend appearances the subject of this auction came up. Jeff is a car guy, and Derrick restores farm tractors, so they've been following this auction closely.

The site of the auction(s) is now at Summit Raceway Park (corner of SR 18 & SR 601 east of Norwalk) and the old Wolohan Lumber yard in Avery (SR 250 just north of the turnpike). Friday and Saturday at Summit, Sunday at Wolohan's. Depending on what one is interested in, you're gonna have to know which lot it's on or be here all 3 days. I do know the Divco milk trucks are at the Avery location.

Somehow over the past weeks Jeff and Derrick have had up close access to these vehicles. Didn't ask how they pulled that off. Their considered opinion is that most of these vehicles are "rough, very rough", lots of rotted out floors and interiors. Even the tractors are pretty sad. They said the '62 Miller-Meteor has $12,000 on the windshield.

This is the same weekend as the big Cruise In at Summit, so it could turn into a gigantic cluster **** !!!! Hotels in this part of the country are booked solid all summer, what with Cedar Point and all of the other attractions in the area going full swing, add the cruise in and now this auction, good luck finding a place to stay within 50 miles.

There is a web site with some addition information, it is......www.ronhackenberger.com . Pictures of some of the vehicles are there, along with other information.

There it is folks, just passing along what I know. As always......caveat emptor"!!!!

Ted Kalinowski
07-08-2017, 11:15 PM
Russel which lot is the Guardian sitting in and the location please

John ED Renstrom
07-09-2017, 09:50 AM
hoarders stuff, a junk yard foll of high dollar restorations. like the collection in neb just tucked away and left to fall apart on there own.

Russell Street
07-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Russel which lot is the Guardian sitting in and the location please

To the best of our knowledge the Guardian is at Summit Raceway Park located on SR 18 at SR 601 about 4 miles east of Norwalk. We were by the Avery location yesterday and didn't see it there, BUT there are parts of that lot that we can't see without trespassing on railroad property.

I agree with you Ed, lots of very high dollar restorations!!!

Paul Steinberg
07-09-2017, 01:11 PM
Rumor has it that there might be a need for a on site crusher to dispose of some of the cars that are not worth bidding on! Just a rumor, that's all folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzZfdWzUrQs

Russell Street
07-09-2017, 02:39 PM
Rumor has it that there might be a need for a on site crusher to dispose of some of the cars that are not worth bidding on! Just a rumor, that's all folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzZfdWzUrQs

Paul with you having not seen these vehicles in person, you have no idea how close to dead right you are with your post!!! I'm guessing almost 1/2 of them aren't worth the space they are taking up....JMHO.

Kurt Arends
07-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Not a lot of on-line interest in the pro cars yet! Lots of action on many of the other cars. Just checked. '50 Henney Packard is at $500, '62 M-M Guardian is at $180, '47 Miller Cadillac is at $200. We will find out what they are worth very soon!

John ED Renstrom
07-11-2017, 09:42 PM
Not what it's worth, just what someone is willing to pay. Today

Kurt Arends
07-11-2017, 11:42 PM
Which will be what it's worth..... on that day! It may be worth half of that on the following day! It is interesting to follow the on-line bidding on some of these cars leading up to to the live auction. The Checker airport limos haven't attracted any interest.

Richard Vyse
07-12-2017, 07:23 AM
Just getting that Guardian and storing would be worth it. Saving history!:thumbsup:

Kurt Arends
07-14-2017, 10:03 AM
Russell,

Is it safe to assume that you will be attending the big auction this weekend? It would be great to get some highlights from someone attending.

Russell Street
07-14-2017, 04:38 PM
Russell,

Is it safe to assume that you will be attending the big auction this weekend? It would be great to get some highlights from someone attending.

No Kurt, I will not be attending. However Jeff and Derrick are planning on going over for the auction and the big cruise-in. I also believe that our Avery Terminal Manager Chuck, and our Fleet Maintenance Director Kevin are both going. A few of the vehicles have caught their eyes and they're gonna "pool up" and see what they can bring home. Should be interesting, they both like Studebaker trucks.

Between the 4 of them we should get some pretty good information.

Kurt Arends
07-14-2017, 08:02 PM
Sounds like a plan Russell! If they are into Studebakers, there are a lot of them to choose from! I think that '36 Stude Coupe/truck thingamajig is up to $14,000 already on-line! Interesting to watch the on-line bidding so far! Many of these will shock us!

Kurt Arends
07-15-2017, 11:26 AM
Watching the auction via ProxiBid. Cars are bringing a fortune!

Kurt Arends
07-15-2017, 02:15 PM
'50 Packard limousine style 3-way(Shriner Car) brought $2500
'62 M-M Guardian brought $9500
'47 S&S Ambulance brought $3500

Everything is selling for big bucks!

Paul Steinberg
07-15-2017, 03:06 PM
How many will have buyers remorse once they get their prized possession home, and realize what it is going to cost to bring them back to driving condition. Paint, rust repair, and upholstery are all additional costs that people don't think about when they are bidding.

Kurt Arends
07-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Pair of '38 Stude Coupe Express pickup (Projects). First one brought $30,000 and the second one brought $15,000. Goofy looking Panhard brought $22,000 and it was also a total project.

Russell Street
07-15-2017, 03:17 PM
We drove out by Summit today around 1130, the crowd wasn't as big as I expected anywhere on the property, auction or cruise-in. I'm not really sure why I expected a larger crowd.

Drove by Avery also, there were quite a few folks there looking through the fence at things. There is a 1952 American LaFrance pumper on that lot that didn't attract any on-line bids as of late last night. I'll check later and if it still hasn't gotten any action I'm gonna throw a low ball up there and see what happens. Maybe I'll have a fire truck AND an angry wife!!!

Nice to see the Guardian proved me right, I thought $10,000 it went for $9,500. Haven't been following the auction we've been gone all day.

Haven't heard anything from Jeff and Derrick yet.

Kurt Arends
07-15-2017, 03:21 PM
At least at $9,500, we know that the Guardian is not going to be parked under someone's carport to further deteriorate for the next 20 years! What a huge project that thing is going to be! I just hope that is restored correctly.

Steve Lichtman
07-15-2017, 04:33 PM
At least it's not going directly to the scrapper. Hope someone we know got it and will do a good restoration.

Kurt Arends
07-15-2017, 04:50 PM
I doubt that a single car sold on this 2-day auction will be going to be scrapped!

Prices on everything were on the high end. The '47 S&S ambulance was probably one of the deals of the day at $3500. Looked to be a rust-free rig from the South-West that even had its original(rare) attendant's seat! A lot of these cars were from the South-West which makes me wonder if he didn't buy a lot of them from Desert Valley Auto Parts over the years.

Russell Street
07-16-2017, 02:48 PM
Talked to Jeff and Derrick this morning, they both used the same word to describe the whole affair........CRAZY!!!!!

The 1952 American LaFrance that I tried to "low ball" went for $ 1,750, not a bad price but more than I would spend on it considering the heartburn it was gonna cause me with Barb.

Kurt Arends
07-16-2017, 05:33 PM
As I have said before, NO ONE gets more money for project cars than Yvette Vanderbrink! She does a great job for the seller!

John ED Renstrom
07-17-2017, 04:27 PM
She has the secret down. Just like a auction in Nebraska , way above any value it should have. So now we know whose auction to walk away from. I have seen crazy before , it does my Hart good to know the community is as good as it is. Now I'm going to wait for her next one and see if she will take a consignments. That looks to be the way to move a car.

Jacob M. Fournier
07-17-2017, 09:54 PM
It was an enjoyable two days. While I didn't go for the professional cars, I did come home with a new project - a 1962 Studebaker Diesel with a Detroit 4-53 diesel engine. I also picked up a '62 Studebaker flatbed truck (gas) that came out of Montana with a much better body - plan is to make two into one.

Kurt Arends
07-17-2017, 11:20 PM
Any rumblings as to where the 3 pro cars went????

Brady D Smith
07-18-2017, 03:38 PM
Great news Jacob! I was registered as bitter number 13 but some health issues that cropped up last month caused me to have to cancel the trip. I spent nine days in intensive care now I'm doing the Rehab thing. My doctors you're a fan at the thought of me traveling. I don't know why everybody thinks the prices were so high I thought they were giving stuff away for Part of the time. I mean it doesn't take very long to spend a couple thousand dollars on parts. Might as well buy the mess on assembled car and get a few extra parts.

Richard Vyse
07-18-2017, 03:47 PM
Great news Jacob! I was registered as bitter number 13 but some health issues that cropped up last month caused me to have to cancel the trip. I spent nine days in intensive care now I'm doing the Rehab thing. My doctors you're a fan at the thought of me traveling. I don't know why everybody thinks the prices were so high I thought they were giving stuff away for Part of the time. I mean it doesn't take very long to spend a couple thousand dollars on parts. Might as well buy the mess on assembled car and get a few extra parts.

WTF Brady, you're too young for this crap!

Kurt Arends
07-18-2017, 08:25 PM
Question for those of you who attended the auction:

How many of the 700 cars were started? I would assume none of them were started. Yvette typically sells "As-Is, Where-Is" on these types of auctions.

Jacob M. Fournier
07-18-2017, 08:37 PM
Question for those of you who attended the auction:

How many of the 700 cars were started? I would assume none of them were started. Yvette typically sells "As-Is, Where-Is" on these types of auctions.

Zero - No cars were started at all. A lot of cars were driven home after purchase by the seller, put in storage, and never started again. They were pulled out and sold without any attempt to get them running.

Jacob M. Fournier
07-18-2017, 08:45 PM
Any rumblings as to where the 3 pro cars went????

All I can tell you is the high bid for the Guardian was an online bid. I believe the Packard and the S&S were purchased by onsite bidders.

Jacob M. Fournier
07-18-2017, 09:05 PM

Would have enjoyed seeing you there. I heard you were having some health issues - I hope it wasn't that Packard that I sent you that caused your problems. I didn't think all the prices were crazy. Some stuff went high, but I thought some stuff went pretty reasonable.

Russell Street
07-19-2017, 03:35 PM
All the folks I know that attended the auction said the same thing........a nice piece that you would think would bring a higher price would sell for "cheap". Meanwhile a steaming pile of cow s**t next to it would bring a huge price. No rhyme or reason to how the bids were going at all!!!

I will say this....the vehicles that I had my eye on sold just about where I figured they would, except the American LaFrance pumper, it went for a lot less than I figured. The Divcos went for almost exactly what I thought they would, and the Guardian I missed by $ 500. Not bad, maybe I should "handicap" auctions for a hobby!!!

Kurt Arends
07-19-2017, 07:52 PM
........... but some of those "nice" cars were more common and some of those "piles of $#!+" were rare and much more highly sought after. You have to look at more than just condition when doing a price comparison.

When you factor in the buyer's premium, other on-line buyer's costs, and the fact that NONE of the cars were running.......... they all sold on the high end. None of those cars would bring that kind of money(factoring in all buyer's premiums &fees) if posted on eBay and listed "As-Is", non-running, and in some cases..... not even tires!

Brady D Smith
07-22-2017, 10:53 AM
Wish I could've been there. I had a hotel reservation and was registered as buyer number 13. And then the stupid stroke intervened and prevented me from being there. There were a couple of things there I would've surely brought home. Rare is an understatement

Russell Street
07-22-2017, 11:48 AM
I spent a couple hours Thursday at the tire shop in Norwalk, on 250 just north of downtown, getting new drive tires on the big truck. I saw no less the 6 wreckers (roll backs) go by with vehicles from the auction. I noticed one of them was one of the Dodge fire trucks, a pretty nice looking piece.

We were out and about yesterday and our travels took us by both the Summit and Wolohan locations. There were still quite a few vehicles at Summit and quite a few more at Wolohan's. There were several trucks (wreckers) loading at Avery.

I would think they would have all been "moved/removed" by now.

Jacob M. Fournier
07-23-2017, 10:59 PM
We were out and about yesterday and our travels took us by both the Summit and Wolohan locations. There were still quite a few vehicles at Summit and quite a few more at Wolohan's. There were several trucks (wreckers) loading at Avery.

I would think they would have all been "moved/removed" by now.

We were told at the auction that we had seven days (Starting with Monday) to remove the vehicles - after that, storage would be charged. You had four days to remove the vehicles from the Summit Raceway - after that they were being towed (at the buyer's expense) due to another event being held at the track.

I picked my second truck up the Wolohan's yard on Friday morning about 8:30am - a lot of vehicles were gone (I'd say 65 - 70 percent) - and there was a steady flow of people in to get their purchases while I was loading up. I think this past weekend would probably be fairly heavy with activity for those who had to work during the week.

The second purchase is below - 1958 (I said '62 earlier) Studebaker Transtar Deluxe 2 ton truck out of Montana. Body is very solid - something is up with steering - the steering box is apart and strewn across the cab of the truck. Motor is free, but I was unable to attempt to start - they took the starter off to get the steering gearbox off, and it is missing.

On a positive note, the white truck tractor I brought home fired right up with a battery and a little diesel fuel - needs a few things before I can take it for a spin up the road.

Kurt Arends
08-28-2017, 09:03 PM
I understand that the '62 M-M Guardian now resides in a Texas collection where it will soon be restored. Glad to hear it!