PDA

View Full Version : 1972 Checker Aerobus Model A128W 1 of 15

Channing Spencer
11-16-2016, 12:15 PM
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/checker/aerobus/1892295.html?refer=news

Mileage: 25000
Transmission: Manual
Condition: Excellent

Sellerís Description:
Powered by a 350 Chevrolet V8. Turbo 400 Automatic. Shows 25,000 miles. Brand new air conditioning system, paint, brakes and brake booster. From New Mexico, rust-free. Complete new interior, headliner and carpet. In excellent condition.

For more on this Checker and others, go to: https://www.checkermotorcars.com

Price: $29,950

My thoughts: Cool looking exterior on this car. Looks like it would be fun...I would have to commit the sin of modifying the interior to look less like a school bus. The seller states that it is 1 of 15 made...I find that interesting....Not sure if the engine is original or not; Chevy 350...not sure if that engine can produce the power needed to move that vehicle, effectively, with a load. I will leave it to the experts on this site...Maybe the 350 with the 400 is original; I am not sure. I am confused....the listing shows the transmission as "manual", but the narrative description states that it is an automatic.

Peter Grave
11-16-2016, 12:24 PM
Not fun to drive Mack tri axel more fun. Yes 350 can be original have a special NYC Taxi that was made as a sting car for the DEA it was made with a Hi performance (4BBL) 350. Also know of some Checker Police cars that were supplied with 350s. Checker was pretty flexible if GM made it they would stuff it in. I heard a rumor not substantiated that a couple of those Aerobuses were made with big block Chevies.

Channing Spencer
11-16-2016, 01:22 PM
Another look at the pics shows no clutch pedal. So, it has an automatic transmission.
Peter, you stated that it would be more fun to drive a Mack Tri-Axle. I would love to drive one...just for a day, on a closed course with lots of stuff to smash into. :cool: Are you saying that these vehicles (Checker) are unpleasant to drive? If so, can you explain what the issues are? Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

John ED Renstrom
11-16-2016, 09:20 PM
I was under the impression that they were a 283. Glad I was wrong. A small block Chevy is just that. The turning radius on one would have to be a foot ball field. You got to love them all the trim painted not plated.

Peter Grave
11-17-2016, 12:15 AM
One of my friends was a big Checker fan member of Checker club knew Ben Merkle etc. His checker is the DEA one I have. Cancer got him two years ago and the car was left to me. Anyway the Aerobus as Ed says you need a football field to turn it around and because it was designed to haul MANY people empty it rides like a buckboard. Remember its a Checker wagon stretched to the nines. So the suspension is beefed up from a wagon it designed to work not be a limo. Just like the taxi it rides hard and handles like a shopping cart. Many of those wagons got 500000 miles doing airport work if you can find someone who drove one they will tell you it was no picnic.