PDA

View Full Version : Gene Knisley estate auction - Kansas City, MO

Steve Loftin
04-28-2016, 01:05 PM
After a few attempts to sell a few of these cars on eBay, the entire collection will now be auctioned:

http://www.lindsayauctions.com/may13auction1vehicles.html

Sadly, as discussed earlier, these cars were stored for years in a leaky (wet environment) building.

John ED Renstrom
04-28-2016, 02:12 PM
shame to see them like this. but the white makes it look twice as bad as it is. a small chip will really make a stain especial if the car never moves. a good bathe and light polish will clean it right up a dab of rust converter on the chip fallowed by pant and your good to go. the other place is the sealer on the rain gutter. it dries out cracks and the rust flows out. you can tell they are just wanting to dump. or the fight is over who is doing all the work. wash the cars off, air up the tires and have them running on a gallon can so they drive past the auction stand will double your money.

Chris Elzie
04-28-2016, 03:32 PM
I don't see the S&S I wonder if it's part of it?

Darren Bedford
04-28-2016, 04:04 PM
What a shame

Jacob M. Fournier
04-28-2016, 11:35 PM
I don't see the S&S I wonder if it's part of it?

I looked up the auction on Auction Zip - a lot more photos, including all the stuff at the warehouse - while the S&S isn't spelled out in the listing, there are photos of it in the gallery, taken on April 15, so I'd assume it's up for sale.

Photo gallery here. (http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/photopanel.cgi?listingid=2706083&category=0&zip=&kwd=)

Ron Devies
05-03-2016, 08:09 PM
I would love to have one of those Stratus Dodge vans.

Chris Elzie
05-03-2016, 08:23 PM
Is anyone planning to attend?

Kurt Arends
05-03-2016, 08:45 PM
I would love to have one of those Stratus Dodge vans.

I would assume that those vans wil sell for close to scrap price. Have not run in years and may/may not have titles, according to the auctioneer. Too old and too neglected for the plumbers and electricians to want.

Skip Goulet
05-04-2016, 05:08 PM
After a few attempts to sell a few of these cars on eBay, the entire collection will now be auctioned:

http://www.lindsayauctions.com/may13auction1vehicles.html

Sadly, as discussed earlier, these cars were stored for years in a leaky (wet environment) building.
Thanks for listing this, Steve. I saw something about it yesterday on FB but wasn't able to link at the time.

One thing notably missing in the auction was the very nice Consort ambulance that Gene had for many years. No telling how many times I tried to talk him out of it with no success.

Kurt Arends
05-04-2016, 06:58 PM
What year was the Pontiac Consort?? There is one listed on th sale and photographed. I wasn't aware of anything that they had that I would consider "nice".

Kurt Arends
05-04-2016, 07:01 PM
This is he only Pontiac Consort "ambulance" listed on the auction and I am assuming that it may have started life as a combo.

Darren Bedford
05-04-2016, 08:59 PM
Even thou the cars were rough, there would be a lot of cars on the road that could have used their parts to keep them rolling on !

I wish I had a yard to keep these in to become organ donors for keeping our rides rolling.

There is more value in parts than complete unts.

Darren

Steve Loftin
05-04-2016, 09:34 PM
This is he only Pontiac Consort "ambulance" listed on the auction and I am assuming that it may have started life as a combo.

There is this car (an ambulance) and a 1964 Consort combination, both shown on the auction page.

Kurt Arends
05-04-2016, 09:42 PM
It should be able to be had pretty inexpensively in its current condition. May or may not have a title, according to the auctioneer.

Kurt Arends
05-13-2016, 10:38 PM
Well, an interesting day/auction today in K.C.! No one got around to looking for titles, so all/most cars were sold sans titles. Most of you will recall the crazy eBay expectations on several of these that were listed within the past year. Here are today's results on those of interest to most of us. This does not include the 8% buyers premium.

1969 C-B Olds LWB Hi-Top Ambulance: $320
1963 C-B Olds LWB Combo painted as an ambulance: $400
1974 M-M Lifeliner: $800
1964 Superior Consort Combo: $400
1965(66) Superior Consort Ambulance: $425
1973 C-B Olds Seville Combo: $340
1954 Superior Pontiac Ambulance $250
1976 S&S Cadillac Ambulance: $1200
193? Siebert Ford: $50
194? Flxible Side Loader: $50
194? Flxible Ambulance: $50
Superior Dodge "Fat Boy": $210
Stratus Dodge Van Ambulance: $210
Stratus Dodge Van Ambulance: $210

I purchased the '74 Lifeliner, which was last in service in Minden, NE. Zach from Denver purchased the '65 Consort ambulance and the '63 C-B Olds Cottington combo.

Kurt Arends
05-13-2016, 10:39 PM
More photos from today.

John ED Renstrom
05-13-2016, 11:26 PM
darn glad I wasn't there would have ended up with at least one.

Kurt Arends
05-13-2016, 11:46 PM
The '54 Superior Pontiac was the steal of the day! Not a hole in the body anywhere, but really bad floors in the driver's compartment. I really should have bought it too.

Most/some of these cars would have held up better had they been left outside for all those years!

Richard Vyse
05-14-2016, 07:02 AM
More photos from today.

Wow, what a deal on the 74. The "Q" alone is valued more than the $400 you paid. Interested in seeing more photos of your newly purchased 74.

Darren Bedford
05-14-2016, 09:45 AM
Richard

He paid 864.00 not 400.00.

Plus transporting it,
Darren

Kurt Arends
05-14-2016, 11:19 AM
Actually, I have my own trailer and haul my own cars. About a 2 hour trip each way for me.

Peter Grave
05-14-2016, 06:21 PM
Anyone know who the 76S&S went to? If its going to be parted I need things from it.

Chris Elzie
05-14-2016, 07:30 PM
Anyone know who the 76S&S went to? If its going to be parted I need things from it.

I'm pretty sure the person that bought it is getting the same parts you need Mr. Grave.

Darren Bedford
05-14-2016, 10:12 PM
Kurt

Gas will be likely 100.00 plus your time.

Super cool you have your own trailer. Make things so much easier.

:thumbsup:

Darren

Bill Leverett
05-14-2016, 11:29 PM
Thanks Kurt for sharing the prices and pics. Were those Ford Econoline ambulance in the background pics of the Sieberts?

Jacob M. Fournier
05-15-2016, 12:00 AM
Kurt - Big thank you for posting the pics / prices - always nice to know what stuff goes for. Sounds like you got the deal of the day on the Lifeliner.

Just out of curiosity, how bad is the lower body? - all the photos I've seen hide the bottom in the grass.

darn glad I wasn't there would have ended up with at least one.

Don't let not being there stop you - I didn't go, and ended up buying the most expensive one they sold (that'll teach me.)

Sorry Pete - I bought the S&S for parts to put the two you sold me back together.

Kurt Arends
05-15-2016, 12:59 AM
Jacob,
I hope your expectations are not too high on what is usable on that S&S. Not much usable on it below the belt line. She does still have her alternator though.

The '74 Lifeliner, and all the rest of the cars in that field, have been stored in a very damp building with a dirt floor. Not a good environment at all. It only needs rockers, quarters, and fenders! Lol

I guess you could say that, had Gene Knisely not rat-holed these rigs years ago, they may not have survived at all. I just wish that he had found a better building to store them in!

Kurt Arends
05-15-2016, 01:01 AM
Thanks Kurt for sharing the prices and pics. Were those Ford Econoline ambulance in the background pics of the Sieberts?

Bill,
I believe that those econoline van ambulances sold for $50 each as well. I met the guy that bought them, if you need anything off of them.

John ED Renstrom
05-15-2016, 12:13 PM
the c/bs went cheap enough so that a man could put a little into them but I have way to may projects now.

Kurt Arends
05-15-2016, 12:49 PM
Before I left there on Friday, the buyer of the '69 C-B high top ambulance was loading it onto his trailer. While pulling it onto his trailer, the transmission cross member fell off and the drive shaft fell off.

Kurt Arends
05-15-2016, 03:44 PM
I purchased this lot of bullets and the federal 18s as well on Friday at the auction. All will be available in the future, if anyone is in need. I have not cleaned anything up yet. The McKesson Resuscitator was in the '74 Lifeliner and will need restoration work, but looks to be all there.

Bill Leverett
05-15-2016, 05:53 PM
Kurt...did you happen to get any pictures of the Econolines?

Kurt Arends
05-15-2016, 09:00 PM
Bill,
I did not. Other than being weathered, they probably had the best bodies as they always sat where you see them outside on a paved surface.

Kurt Arends
05-15-2016, 09:54 PM
Bill,
I lied to you! I did take 1 photo of one of the Econoline ambulances. As I said, I met the guy who bought this one and 11 others, if you are interested in anything!

Kurt Arends
05-22-2016, 01:10 PM
If anyone has any interest in anything off of the 2 '70 vintage Ford Econoline ambulances, you had better speak up. I spoke with Eric(the buyer) yesterday and he will be hauling those 2 directly to the shreader this week. He has taken the lights off of the one already, but doubt that anything else will be removed.

Also, if anyone has interest in the 2 '76 vintage Dodge Stratus ambulances or the '76 vintage Superior "Fat Boy", you will want to speak up as well. Eric may end up hauling those to the shreader too. I tried to discourage that when I spoke with him, but he has a huge task ahead of him in getting the 12 vehicles that he purchased out of there in the next 2 weeks. I would imagine that he will grow discouraged by the time he gets the last of them out of there. We helped him load the '54 Superior Pontiac ambulance yesterday while down there.

Steve Loftin
05-22-2016, 02:01 PM
If anyone has any interest in anything off of the 2 '70 vintage Ford Econoline ambulances, you had better speak up.

One of the '70 Fords was the very first car Gene built for the Missouri state ambulance contract.

Kurt Arends
05-22-2016, 11:46 PM
Well, I gave my most recent purchase it's initial bath. Sometimes nice old cars end up in the hands of someone who has no business owning them. In this case, the previous owner bought this rig 20+ years ago and stuck it in a nasty, neglected, un-lit building with continually wet dirt floors. Mine was just one of a dozen old rigs stored in these deplorable conditions by their previous owner. It is upsetting to think that these rigs all belonged to a former PCS member. My '74 M-M Lifeliner was a one-owner rig that was taken out of service and traded in in 1992 on a new Stratus ambulance. It was traded to Firefox Emergency Equipment, who was a Stratus dealer. Jodi at Firefox then sold/traded it to Gene at Stratus. It was in beautiful shape when traded in, according to a long-time member of the Minden, NE crew. Because of these extreme storage issues, it now needs fenders, rockers, quarters, etc., etc., etc.

I will not be the one to restore this, very well equipped, rig but I will see to it that it ends up in the hands of someone who will.

Ron Devies
05-23-2016, 08:45 AM
Kurt...did you happen to get any pictures of the Econolines?

So I wonder if my Econoline is the last MCC/Pinner on the road? Any insight or information available? Kurt, I would like to reach out to the guy who bought the one Econoline, if you have his contact. Is he an ambulance guy?

Kurt Arends
05-23-2016, 09:02 AM
Ron,
No, Eric is not an ambulance guy. He buys to re-sell and scraps as a sideline to his normal job. I did give him the PCS membership info as he seems to be very intrigued by some of the rigs that he purchased. I am sending you a PM with his cell number.

He definitely does have the hubcaps for you Ron!!

Peter Grave
05-23-2016, 12:29 PM
The Lifeliner looks like many from this area and north. Don't blame the bad storage as much as the cheap steel they used and where it was used. Note way more rust on the right (curb) side where all the salty water lays after a snow/ice storm. The left side in the pictures at least looks easy the right lots of welding and patching. How did the floors survive?

Kurt Arends
05-23-2016, 01:13 PM
Peter,

The good and the bad news is that the floors still hold water! Lol. Yet to be determined as to condition as I have not been under it and the rubber mat is all still "good".

These photos are flattering! I know the condition when the rig when it was traded 20+ years ago and I was in the building where they were stored on auction day. Everything inside the car is covered with mildew. You had to be there to believe it. The auctioneers assumed that all of these would sell for scrap. Who knew that several would be sold for less than that! These rigs were all drug out of the building on flat tires and locked up wheels and sold as-is, where-is. No effort was made to identify them as to year, make, or model. The attorney supposedly had the titles, but we were all to assume that there were no titles. Fortunately, I called the attorney this morning and she does have my original title that was issued when the rig sold new! Trust me on this one. The lousy storage was a bigger issue on this one than the prior 18 years of running the highways of SW Nebraska!

Kurt Arends
05-23-2016, 09:53 PM
Bill,
I lied to you! I did take 1 photo of one of the Econoline ambulances. As I said, I met the guy who bought this one and 11 others, if you are interested in anything!

Unfortunately, both of the Econoline ambulances were hauled to the shreader today.

Jacob M. Fournier
06-02-2016, 10:32 PM
5 days - 3100 miles, but Eastern 6 made it east to Vermont yesterday. The trip went well, all in all.

The car looks better with four tires that hold air. It is rough, not much floor left, in either the front or the back.

I threw a battery into it, and a temporary fuel source - it ran pretty good (on 7 cylinders - one spark plug was broken off.) It didn't want to move, but the transmission was low on fluid, and I didn't have any with me. The rear brakes were locked up tight, also one rear spring is broke off.

Even had time in Kansas City to take in a baseball game.

John ED Renstrom
06-02-2016, 10:54 PM
but home it is. now the fun starts

Daniel Scully
06-02-2016, 11:22 PM
5 days - 3100 miles, but Eastern 6 made it east to Vermont yesterday. The trip went well, all in all.

The car looks better with four tires that hold air. It is rough, not much floor left, in either the front or the back.

I threw a battery into it, and a temporary fuel source - it ran pretty good (on 7 cylinders - one spark plug was broken off.) It didn't want to move, but the transmission was low on fluid, and I didn't have any with me. The rear brakes were locked up tight, also one rear spring is broke off.

Even had time in Kansas City to take in a baseball game.

If you happen to want or /need doors I have all 5 that are nice and rust free.

Ron Devies
06-03-2016, 08:27 AM
Jacob, will you be driving it to Gettysburg?

Just kidding, what you do have going for you is S&S was a very well made car.I can't wait to see more pics as you progress. :applause:

Kurt Arends
06-03-2016, 09:20 AM
As it turns out, nearly every vehicle does have a title, after having sold them under the assumption that we would not be getting titles! Picked my title up yesterday while in town. What a mess of an estate this one is! This one should be in text books!

Richard Vyse
06-03-2016, 11:58 AM
If you happen to want or /need doors I have all 5 that are nice and rust free.

How about a couple for my Lifeliner? I did the drivers side doors but need doors for the passenger side. Do your doors fit a 73 Cadillac M-M Lifeliner?
Can you PM me price if selling.

Kurt Arends
06-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Ah....... no.

Kurt Arends
06-03-2016, 12:48 PM
I am now also in the hunt for a sun-baked '74-'76 M-M end-loader from the Southwestern part of the US that I can cut up for the purpose of restoring the '74 M-M Lifeliner that I just purchased. They are out there and it makes more sense to sacrifice a M-M end-loader than it does to cut up a Coupe deVille. It just takes persistence!

Daniel Scully
06-03-2016, 03:35 PM
How about a couple for my Lifeliner? I did the drivers side doors but need doors for the passenger side. Do your doors fit a 73 Cadillac M-M Lifeliner?
Can you PM me price if selling.

The only set I have are for 72-76 S&S

You can have the doors from the 73 Eterna ,but you need to buy the whole car:)

Richard Vyse
06-03-2016, 03:37 PM
The only set I have are for 72-76 S&S

You can have the doors from the 73 Eterna ,but you need to buy the whole car:)

Shame to tear that one apart.

Daniel Scully
06-03-2016, 03:48 PM
Shame to tear that one apart.

One to many hope it goes to a good home , no interest here so far so I guess evilbay is next .Thanks

Michael Catalano
06-03-2016, 04:16 PM
If anyone has any interest in anything off of the 2 '70 vintage Ford Econoline ambulances, you had better speak up. I spoke with Eric(the buyer) yesterday and he will be hauling those 2 directly to the shreader this week. He has taken the lights off of the one already, but doubt that anything else will be removed.

Also, if anyone has interest in the 2 '76 vintage Dodge Stratus ambulances or the '76 vintage Superior "Fat Boy", you will want to speak up as well. Eric may end up hauling those to the shreader too. I tried to discourage that when I spoke with him, but he has a huge task ahead of him in getting the 12 vehicles that he purchased out of there in the next 2 weeks. I would imagine that he will grow discouraged by the time he gets the last of them out of there. We helped him load the '54 Superior Pontiac ambulance yesterday while down there.Any word on what happened to the Chevy Suburban ambulance that was pictured on the auction website?

Kurt Arends
06-03-2016, 04:51 PM
Yes! It sold for $800.

Kurt Arends
06-03-2016, 04:59 PM
You are referring to this one, correct??

Michael Catalano
06-03-2016, 09:53 PM
You are referring to this one, correct??Yeah, it was the only one listed.

Skip Goulet
06-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Yeah, it was the only one listed.

It went to a guy in Ft. Leavenworth, KS. He has it up for resale, but I don't know what he's asking.