PDA

View Full Version : F/S 1971 Superior-Cadillac 51" Ambulance

Nicholas Studer
07-18-2015, 05:28 PM
Summary: Up for sale is a 1971 Superior-Cadillac 51” high top Ambulance. This ambulance originally served Stony Point, NY and has a number of features including front/rear AC, patient condition lights, roof-mounted spotlights (only done that way in 1971), and Vani-Shades. It starts, runs, drives, and stops without difficulty. Original paint - which is a stunning and unusual Zodiac Blue over Cotillion White. The exterior will surely require work, with repainting and management of surface rust that is scattered throughout the car. More significant corrosion is primarily on the front leading edge of the hood, right passenger floorboard, driver’s side rear bumper, Superior rear step, the bottom of the rear door, and in the rear quarter panel areas (see photos). The interior is in excellent condition, and it has its original radios and much of the original equipment that still works. It will come with original in-service equipment, including original Ferno Model 26 "One-Man" cot. It is my and others who have seen the car’s assessment that it is a fairly easy restoration project. I am asking $5500 at this time – but my primary goal is finding a worthy home. If you are that home, I encourage you to read all of the below and view the photos. Please e-mail or PM me if interested after doing so. Due to work circumstances - I can only entertain the idea of a sale for the next month.

Car History and Reason for Selling: This vehicle served Stony Point, NY with the Volunteer Ambulance Corps. Sometime in the 1980s, it was retired and intended to go to the Rockland County Fire Museum – who did not want it. A private collector purchased the vehicle, and brought it with him to Florida where it remained until mid-2014 in his carport. At that time, circumstances forced that gentleman to sell the vehicle. I purchased the car at that time under the understanding it would be a mechanical project for me to work on – but reports that it was dead turned out to simply be a lack of gas in tank. I am certainly no body man, and thus the vehicle has just been sitting with me as other projects have taken longer than expected. I would expect the earliest I could start work on this car is 4-5 years from now, and I am paying a not insubstantial sum every month to store it. I believe this unusual ambulance deserves restoration sooner rather than later, and the storage cost itself is an impediment to doing work on the cars.

Mechanical: New plugs and wires are on the car, gas tank was cleaned/relined. Master cylinder replaced by me, previous owner reported replacing pads/shoes immediately prior to vehicle being parked for two years – however I have new wheel cylinders, pads, brake lines, etc. with the car as spares. Brake fluid and coolant drained and replaced. Transmission gasket and fluid drained/replaced. Dual batteries with Cole-Hersee switch – two new Interstate batteries present. Windshield wipers and washer works, but they need new rubber refills (easily available). Tires are pretty much shot - two of them are vintage 8.90x15 tires white-walls. While all four hold air and have not caused me trouble – would not trust them. Exhaust regulator was broken off years ago during unloading with previous owner – it is still present in a box but very corroded. There is an exhaust leak somewhere in the system. AC compressor present but doesn’t have a belt – so untested. Blower/heater works. Headlights/high beam switch works. No difficulties with starting, driving, or stopping – but would strongly recommend a full mechanical inspection before considering driving any distance.

Exterior: It's original Zodiac Blue over Cotillion White (just dirt you see that's now cleaned off the pictured label.) It doesn't appear to me to be repainted. Very unusual in blue - and I love the hand-lettering on the back. It's faded, but had a big "646" on the roof as well. Neat graphics on the rear door. There's rust on the front hood lip, as well as both rear quarter panels. The add-on stretched steel rear step is pretty rusty, and there's some corrosion to the rear bumper as well on the left primarily. Otherwise fairly solid, especially for a NY car. Right passenger floorboard is rather crumbly in a few spots. Bottom of the rear door too. The front passenger door handle is loose – but is the result of the retaining clips falling off inside – it is not related to corrosion. Some mild surface rust throughout, mostly on the right side as this side faced out from the carport. Previous owner tried to primer a few areas on driver's side as shown - not very successful. “West Coast” mirrors in good shape, but nuts/bolts have surface rust and should be cleaned/replaced. Hood hinges work great, hood pad present and in OK shape with some plastic clips missing. Hood latch has a broken piece inside such that the intact release cable will not open it – previous owner ran a wire to the driver’s door he could pull it open with directly. I did not fully seat the hood when I took these most recent photos due to this – please excuse the oversight. Cadillac emblem on hood has cracking plastic and should probably be replaced. All the trim and even Superior badging still there! Most is stainless and would not need to be rechromed. Rubber weatherstrip throughout pretty much all bad, however replacement is available. All the hubcaps present and presentable. Both fender skirts present and in good shape overall themselves. However, hardware on both quarter panels to hold them is damaged/corroded and will need to be repaired/replaced. Reverse lights present - but rubber bad and they are inside the bumper.

Interior/Emergency Equipment: Interior is an absolutely gorgeous patterned blue (similar to combination cars and hearses) and is in great shape. Rear view mirror adhesive failed in the sun and mirror is present but not attached. Front bench seat has scratch on driver’s side, but overall excellent condition upholstery and slides back/forth fine. Passenger side of seat's release is stuck and it doesn’t want to fold forward. Seatbelts functional/good condition. Spare tire cover, tire iron, etc. behind driver’s seat. Appears to be original upholstery, bench seat, jump seat, front seat, and rear door all match.

Unusual feature is Vani-Shades - but passenger side door is missing the shade itself, and it was removed entirely from the rear quarter window due to radio install. Appears to have been one previously been on rear door but not there now. Also has curtain rods on partition window to hide driver from patient – VERY COOL – but airline curtains themselves missing. The diamond-brick pattern linoleum (not Colonial Classic) is unfortunately a little worse for wear and would benefit from replacement. Interestingly, the car has both front and rear A/C... Seat belts present on the squad bench and jump seat. Car also has the red/yellow/green patient condition lights in the front and rear with a rear panel that controls these functions. Star of Life decals are on both rear windows over top of the original graphics which are in great shape. Rear door on the bench seat needs to be re-screwed in place and has a small tear into vinyl. Scoop stretcher mount on the driver’s side. Nameplates on both rear doors.

Medicine cabinet in great shape. Compartments present above medicine cabinet in headliner, under bench seat, under driver’s side floor (accessible through side and trap door), and in rear floor under cot. Rear floor compartment door needs to be readjusted – does not want to easily go back into place after opening for cleaning.

Lighting wise there is a MARS beacon on the roof which doesn't seem to work at the moment. This light may not be original, as it has an unusual yellow/clear alternating dome pattern. Previous owner reported he had someone rebuild it. Also has side marker lights, plus front/rear tunnels of course that work. Control panel in the headliner which lights up. Dual spotlights placed up into the roof of the cab – also not functioning at this time and could use rechroming. Rear loading light present but doesn't seem to work. Roof exhaust fan works but outside cover has surface rust.

Absolutely amazing to me that the vehicle survived basically intact from when it was taken out of service and purchased by the previous owner. Even a wide assortment of embossed labels are still there from its service life. Motrac low-band and Micor hi-band VHF (with HEAR system rotary and push-button dialer) is still present and all works! Microphone cables in the cab are dry rotted some. Any local Motorola shop should be able to replace, ours can. Has the very rare “phone-style” control head in the rear with both rotary and push-button dialer. Cable is in great shape. Hi-Band VHF antenna on roof (Motorola) and side Lo-Band VHF antenna with tie-down clip. Lo-Band has typical corrosion of the spring. Original Model 26 cot, Robinson Orthopedic Stretcher, folding backboard, Ambu Air-Shields Resuscitator, and bedpan with SPAC markings still present. The unit is set up to accept an M-cylinder and has piped oxygen going to the top of the cabinet. I purchased a correct Hudson regulator to attach to the DISS block, it is not installed yet. Rear domes and "trauma light" work. Rico suction works.

Terms: As-is, no warranty expressed or implied. I have done my best to describe this car, but I am no professional or expert. Please ask for additional photos or questions as desired if you are interested in purchasing. I am surely willing to have those with serious interest visit the vehicle to inspect. The car is in secure indoor storage in the metro San Antonio area. You will be fully responsible for removal and transport – I have had good luck with Sancrest. I will work with the buyer in all ways reasonable to assist with your purchase.

Nicholas Studer
07-18-2015, 07:52 PM
72 hour hold pending possible sale. Thanks! :)

Nicholas Studer
07-20-2015, 08:18 PM
Car is still available. Unfortunately, not the best time for the potential buyer to add to his collection. Please contact me if interested via PM or e-mail.

I failed to mention in the initial post that the car has a clear Florida title and is insured. Will fill out all paperwork needed for your state. Mileage is 71,582 as shown. I've also included a few more fun photos for posterity and interest. Note cracking in linoleum in the rear, as well as the Micor and Motrac remote mount radios with Rico vacuum bottle behind the front seat.

Richard Vyse
07-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Man I like this but Terri would kill me and have no place to store.

James Fischer
07-20-2015, 09:51 PM
GO FOR IT Richard......Terri would never even know:p......as for space,how about behind the funeral home ?? You could work on it in your spare time !;)

Kurt Arends
07-20-2015, 10:58 PM
I just love the fact that it is not, and never was, red or orange!! I just hope that the next owner keeps the color 100% original!

John ED Renstrom
07-21-2015, 12:45 AM
a engine vacuum set up. thought my military cb was the only 70s car with one.

Nicholas Studer
07-29-2015, 11:58 PM
Car is still available - I will post if anything changes.

I hate to put a time limit on this - but due to work circumstances will not be able to consider sale of this vehicle after 15AUG2015 for an indeterminate time. Please contact me if you are interested, more than happy to work with the right buyer. Thanks!

Nicholas Studer
08-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Looks like I'll be here a few more weeks longer.. Please contact me if interested.

Nicholas Studer
08-15-2015, 01:51 AM
Car is SOLD to a very deserving PCS member. Thanks for the interest! :)

John ED Renstrom
08-15-2015, 12:51 PM
thank you, thank you, thank you whom ever bought it. I had my wallet open just don't need another project car. but one his much equipped was vary hard to pass up.

Bill Marcy
08-16-2015, 10:26 AM
Congratulations to you both! That ambulance is well worth saving and restoring and I am sure that it will be the new owner's pride and joy.

Peter Grave
08-16-2015, 10:36 AM
Ed I know the feeling, its called SAVED!!!

Bill Marcy
08-18-2015, 10:18 PM
Sooooo, who is the lucky new owner of this ambulance?

Nicholas Studer
09-11-2015, 07:36 PM
Sooooo, who is the lucky new owner of this ambulance?

Was sad to see it go. The new owner has asked to remain anonymous, but as said is a PCS Member.

WAC - Please lock the thread. Thanks! :)

John ED Renstrom
09-11-2015, 11:39 PM
the two best days in a pro car owners live are when to come to you and when they go away

Kevin Lynch
11-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Second visit I told the seller what I thought it was worth, but I was going to offer more than that- but less than his asking price. He didn't let me finish my sentence and basically threw me off his property. Glad to see it is a much happier car out in the sun!!!!!
Good luck to the new buyer!!!!!

Nicholas Studer
11-12-2015, 02:14 AM
Second visit I told the seller what I thought it was worth, but I was going to offer more than that- but less than his asking price. He didn't let me finish my sentence and basically threw me off his property. Glad to see it is a much happier car out in the sun!!!!!
Good luck to the new buyer!!!!!

To be clear, the seller he's referring to was the original owner, not me.

Paul Steinberg
11-12-2015, 10:30 AM
WAC - Please lock the thread. Thanks! :)

Don't always read every post, so this was missed. Please PM me with requests such as this, in the future. Request granted....