PDA

View Full Version : '72 Superior ambulance

Mike McGeehan
09-02-2014, 09:27 PM
For your review:

http://fargo.craigslist.org/cto/4648746516.html

Jeremy Moberg
09-07-2014, 02:42 AM
I went to look at this thing the other day. Interior is gutted. Owner got ahead of himself. Wanted to turn it into a mobile party machine. Missing all door panels and everything. Totally killed it for me. Otherwise, it was pretty solid. Few rust holes. Not sure how it runs. They haven't had it started in years. You could tell it was a nice car at one time. Last registered in 2000. Banged on the gas tank and it sounded like it had gravel in it. Also had a cracked windshield. Good solid project for someone with a lot of ambition.

Steve Lichtman
09-07-2014, 11:28 AM
As usual, just enough ambition (and beer) to take it apart, not enough to put it back together...

John ED Renstrom
09-08-2014, 12:49 AM
As usual, just enough ambition (and beer) to take it apart, not enough to put it back together...

then lose all the pieces. had they just tossed them in the corner they would still have a car someone else could put back together.

Jeremy Moberg
09-08-2014, 03:27 AM
It was pretty disappointing. Funny thing is that I have scoped out the area really well and this car just came out of nowhere. I have never seen this car and I've been a resident of this city my whole life. Just blew me away. The person that owns it actually called me asking if I was interested. Another local car collector gave them my number. Guy owned it since the mid 90s. Just sat in the garage. You could tell that the guy had bought a parts car to make this thing fancy. Has a 6-way power seat out of a stock cad. Also has telescopic tilt and cruise. The front cab was homemade with a tan light brown fabric. Matching carpet. There was a pile of trim in the back. Not sure whats there and whats not. Wires were dangling out of the dash. Looked like a headache. I would rather patch a 12 inch rust hole than replace an interior especially one with nothing for patterns. I do hope the next owner does something good with it. It is an awesome car!

Terry Lange
09-08-2014, 03:21 PM
It was pretty disappointing. Funny thing is that I have scoped out the area really well and this car just came out of nowhere. I have never seen this car and I've been a resident of this city my whole life. Just blew me away. The person that owns it actually called me asking if I was interested. Another local car collector gave them my number. Guy owned it since the mid 90s. Just sat in the garage. You could tell that the guy had bought a parts car to make this thing fancy. Has a 6-way power seat out of a stock cad. Also has telescopic tilt and cruise. The front cab was homemade with a tan light brown fabric. Matching carpet. There was a pile of trim in the back. Not sure whats there and whats not. Wires were dangling out of the dash. Looked like a headache. I would rather patch a 12 inch rust hole than replace an interior especially one with nothing for patterns. I do hope the next owner does something good with it. It is an awesome car!

I would have to do some digging around, but I believe I shot this car back in the late '70's to early '80's somewhere in Montana.

Terry Lange
09-08-2014, 04:09 PM
I did find the photos that I took, and it is the same car. I think it was in Bozeman, MT.

Kurt Arends
09-08-2014, 10:36 PM
If someone was really interested in taking this one on............. I do have much of the original interior trim, floor sections, etc. that I just pulled out of the '74 Superior 54" ambulance that I am currently parting out. I would sell the stuff very inexpensively to someone willing to put this one back together.

Todd Merrifield
09-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Seems these days a Federal Q in any kind of respectable condition is worth at least $500, so that makes the rest of it $4300.

Tony Karsnia
09-08-2014, 11:52 PM
I thought this thing looked vaguely familiar so I went digging into my photos too. Here's a not-so-great photo I took back in the spring of 1986 at John Ringdahl's place in Fergus Falls, MN. He must have taken it in trade from Montana and then sold it to the fellow in Moorhead.

John ED Renstrom
09-09-2014, 12:41 PM
that blue stripe is a give away.

Tony Karsnia
09-13-2014, 09:43 PM
Terry Lange forwarded me the photos he took of this 1972 Superior Cadillac 51-inch ambulance when it was in Montana. He gave me permission to post them here.

(Terry Lange photos)

Kurt Arends
09-13-2014, 09:54 PM
And it is not part of the PCS family!! Congrats to its new owner!!:applause:

Kurt Arends
09-14-2014, 12:18 AM
Sorry....... that was supposed to read "it is "NOW" part of the PCS family. Congrats Mr. Moberg!!

Jeremy Moberg
09-14-2014, 03:15 AM
Can't believe I bought it. I was trying so hard to look away but this thing just kept staring back at me like a lost puppy. I really can't wait to bring it back to its former glory. This guy must have got it fresh out of service when it was traded in at ringdahls. The title is dated 1987. The owner had died and his two sisters were selling the car. They were very nice people and were happy that the car went to a good home. Luckily, there is quite a bit of hardware and trim lying in the back. First thing I did when I got home was chucked the bench seat in the rear and tore out his homemade interior. Looks better as a shell. Should be an interesting project. You can tell the car had been garaged most it's life. The orange paint still shines. The car actually looks much better when it was pulled out into the sunlight.

Abe Bush
09-14-2014, 05:19 AM
Thank God, another one saved, and staying right here in the U.S. where it was bred, born, built, bought, and beat-up. And praise be, not snatched by a bunch of foreigners.

Steve Lichtman
09-14-2014, 10:47 AM
Oh, good job, Jeremy. Best of luck!

Mike Stevens
09-14-2014, 12:25 PM
Jeremy,
You know we are wanting step by step pictures of your new project. Best of luck to you on this one.
Now we are waiting.
Mike

Kurt Arends
09-14-2014, 12:28 PM
Thank God, another one saved, and staying right here in the U.S. where it was bred, born, built, bought, and beat-up. And praise be, not snatched by a bunch of foreigners.

Most of the Europeans really aren't overly interested in the '65 and newer cars anyway, unless it is a convertible.

John ED Renstrom
09-14-2014, 12:36 PM
it is surprising what a wash job and clean out will do for a car.