View Full Version : Flyover

Steve Lichtman
08-22-2014, 03:31 PM
Did anyone else notice, during the show, the flyover of a WWII B-17 bomber? I heard it before I saw it, and pointed it out to the folks who were at the photo area.

I know, all those great cars, who's noticing a plane? Me.

Scott A. Anderson
08-22-2014, 03:35 PM
I heard it before I saw it. Nice photo!

Wayne Krakowski
08-22-2014, 03:38 PM
If I'd have been there I would have the same reaction to when our 6 Harvard aircraft take to the skies over Woodstock..............woooow.nice picture,thanks.

Mike Burkhart - Deceased 1948 - 2016
08-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Yes, I heard it and seen it. It flew over while I was waiting at the photo shoot. I love WWII Aircraft, especially the P-51 and the C-47. Thanks, Steve, for a great shot.

John ED Renstrom
08-22-2014, 05:08 PM
I believe that is a b-29. they were having rides in it at the airport that day. you can't mistake those radial engines it's a sound all it's own. you got a better picture then I did of it.

Tim Prieur
08-22-2014, 06:30 PM
I have been fortunate enough to see it in Mesa Az. As Ed says, the droan from those engines as it "lumbers" along, so cool!

John Royark JR
08-22-2014, 06:58 PM
I have been fortunate enough to see it in Mesa Az. As Ed says, the droan from those engines as it "lumbers" along, so cool!

Lumbers along is right, it made a lot of noise but didn't look like it was going very fast.

Steve Lichtman
08-22-2014, 07:31 PM
FYI, I looked it up before I posted, it is indeed a B-17.

The main spotting feature of a B-17 is the angled leading and trailing edge of the wing. A B-29 has a straight edge on both the front and the back of the wing. Also, a B-17 has a ball-turret gun position (bubble) under the body, as you can see in the photo, which a B-29 does not.

And, of course, there is the ad from the Experimental Aircraft Association (https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/A2675174__8-17-2014_Rochester_MN) advertising rides on the B-17 in Rochester that day! The plane is named "Aluminum Overcast".

Ed, we gotta get you some of those WWII plane spotting cards, wouldn't want you to confuse a Mustang with a Messerschmitt. (Do you all see the car reference there?;))

John ED Renstrom
08-22-2014, 09:53 PM
a mustang I can spot. the square wind tips a give away. I looked up and saw 4 engines and silver. never seen a 17 that wasn't painted. they do have a 29 here in the air and space museum but it's on the ground. so no help there. but if you had the flier you had a advantage. me I had the guy selling the flower car. I said is that a 29 he said yes they are giving rides on it out to the airport. I might be glad I did not make a deal on the car!!

John Royark JR
08-23-2014, 09:44 AM
I might be glad I did not make a deal on the car!!

If it had the missing boot I would have taken it home.

Gene Rafferty
08-23-2014, 01:54 PM
a couple links on this particular plane.

Steve Lichtman
08-23-2014, 07:59 PM
Thanks, Gene. I didn't see the page listing the upcoming appearances of this plane, but Oct. 3 & 4, it will be in my "neighborhood" - the Frederick, MD airport is only a few miles from me and they will probably fly over my house on their tours. Perhaps I will sign up for a ride!

Love the growl of radial engines!