PDA

View Full Version : Houston 2015

Noah Dorsey
07-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Have any definite dates been locked down for Houston 2015 yet? I'm anxious to start planning my vacation next summer.

I thought there was another thread regarding the 2015 Meet but I can't find it?

Matthew Taylor
08-14-2014, 09:21 AM
The dates for Houston 2015 are June 9-13, 2015. The Host Hotel is the Imperial Valley Hyatt.

Pat Post
11-19-2014, 09:27 PM
I will finally be with in driving distance! Already making plans for this one.

Richard Vyse
11-20-2014, 11:03 AM
I will finally be with in driving distance! Already making plans for this one.

Me too at this point....

Mike McDonald
11-20-2014, 11:09 AM
I will be there for this one too! MM

Noah Dorsey
12-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Which airport is the closest to the host hotel?

Noah Dorsey
12-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Looks like IAH? And is there anyone looking to split a hotel room? Dell Griffith?

Bruce Oliphant
12-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Bush IAH is very close.

Dawson Blackmore
12-14-2014, 10:01 PM
I'm in for a change.

Pat Post
01-30-2015, 09:56 PM
Is the host hotel offering a special rate for PCS members?

Sarah Snook
01-31-2015, 02:00 PM
Is the host hotel offering a special rate for PCS members?

Pat, the Hyatt is giving us a HIGHLY discounted rate of $105 a night. This includes two tickets each morning for their great hot breakfast buffet. Two breakfasts are typically $30 there, but this is included in the cost of your hotel room. Tony Karsnia should have the discount code that you'll need to get the group rate by early next week. I'm sure he'll post it then. :)

Pat Post
01-31-2015, 02:04 PM
Most excellent! Thank you!

Sarah Snook
02-15-2015, 11:07 AM
You can now book your hotel room for the meet online at our discounted rate of $105 per night. This includes two hot breakfast buffets each morning. Use the link below to get the discounted rate. See you in Houston!

https://aws.passkey.com/event/13714777/owner/55354/home

Evan J. Butchers
02-15-2015, 11:14 PM
I just booked my accommodations at the Hyatt. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the meet in Texas in June where it will be warm. At least I'll be out of the frozen North which Toronto is at the moment.

Keith Snyder
02-16-2015, 01:08 PM
Sounds like a great rate but, I'm given to understand that there's an additional 17% tax that will be applied to each night's stay. So, you'll have to factor that in as well.

http://www.houstonhotels.org/memberpage/PDFs/HOT%20TAX%20BREAKDOWN.pdf

Gregg D. Merksamer
02-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Though someone will have to confirm it applies to our host hotel, THE WALL STREET JOURNAL just reported that wi-fi has recently been made complimentary throughout the entire Hyatt chain. This came up in a story exploring the irony of how mainstream chains like Hampton Inn usually comp wi-fi while expensive hotels like the Waldorf-Astoria in NYC charge a fortune for it or roll it into their hefty daily "resort fees." Of course, I'm unlikely to lug a laptop to Texas as my SLR cameras are burden enough.

Keith Snyder
02-22-2015, 09:59 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the tax charged on hotel rooms in Houston is even higher than that of New York City.

Noah Dorsey
02-22-2015, 03:29 PM
The total with taxes is $122.85/night.

Pretty good still, I appreciate the discount.

Noah Dorsey
03-26-2015, 01:16 PM
Will there be a swap meet this year?

Mike McDonald
04-13-2015, 10:03 PM
Great 3 color page press release in the current "Pennsylvania Fireman" authored by PCS Publicity Chair Gregg Merksamer promoting the 2015 Houston International Meet. MM

Noah Dorsey
06-06-2015, 06:23 PM
What is the dress code typically like for the Grand Awards Banquet?

John Royark JR
06-06-2015, 07:04 PM

There really is not a "mandatory" dress code, but I would say just dress how you would going to a nice sit down restaurant.
Ive seen anywhere from suits, to more casual button up or polo shirts and slacks, to blue jeans and T shirts on a few.

Gregg D. Merksamer
06-06-2015, 08:50 PM
I may frankly set a new benchmark for how informal the awards banquet dress code can get, as other projects require that this be the first meet since Burbank where I'm forced to fly instead. There's NO WAY putting my apnea CPAT and all the cameras, chargers and batteries I need to cover this for TPC into checked baggage, so the clothes I'm packing in my carry-on must be kept to the absolute minimum. No suit jacket, no ties, no dressy shoes which are the biggest space waster of all! TMI it may be, but socks and underwear are even likely to get washed in the sink if it frees space for another backup camera or properly detailed Houston maps for my rental car.

James Fischer
06-06-2015, 09:21 PM
TMI it may be, but socks and underwear are even likely to get washed in the sink if it frees space for another backup camera or properly detailed Houston maps for my rental car.

Your right Gregg...TMI :D :p LOL...

James Fischer
06-06-2015, 09:23 PM

I would think that EVERYONE will be wearing,their biggest and best cowboy attire along with their 10 gallon !!;)

John Royark JR
06-07-2015, 10:37 AM
I may frankly set a new benchmark for how informal the awards banquet dress code can get, as other projects require that this be the first meet since Burbank where I'm forced to fly instead. There's NO WAY putting my apnea CPAT and all the cameras, chargers and batteries I need to cover this for TPC into checked baggage, so the clothes I'm packing in my carry-on must be kept to the absolute minimum. No suit jacket, no ties, no dressy shoes which are the biggest space waster of all! TMI it may be, but socks and underwear are even likely to get washed in the sink if it frees space for another backup camera or properly detailed Houston maps for my rental car.

I know when my girlfriend flies to AZ to see her family, she does not pack any clothes. When she gets there she just goes to the Goodwill and buys her clothes for the week, undies, she does bring her own though. Much cheaper than paying for the luggage fees.

John ED Renstrom
06-07-2015, 01:48 PM
we headed out yesterday with the 86 made it 110 miles and lost the filler piece between the head and the block. we got it home had to run 2 gl. of water threw it to do so. but we left it there. I told Kandy we could take the 72 but she flat said "no". so we will be there only using our lead car. I promised the bunnies we would take them to Tx so they are occupying the back seat. all we lost was about 5 hr travel time. see you there

Noah Dorsey
06-07-2015, 03:29 PM
we headed out yesterday with the 86 made it 110 miles and lost the filler piece between the head and the block. we got it home had to run 2 gl. of water threw it to do so. but we left it there. I told Kandy we could take the 72 but she flat said "no". so we will be there only using our lead car. I promised the bunnies we would take them to Tx so they are occupying the back seat. all we lost was about 5 hr travel time. see you there

Dang, sorry to hear that Ed- glad you made it home safe though and that you weren't any further when it happened. I hope the "Hard Luck" award goes to you guys and no one experiences any further troubles. See you Tuesday!

James Fischer
06-07-2015, 04:21 PM
Sorry to hear that Ed....at least your safe and not stuck somewhere,out of curiosty are you going via I/35 or I/45 ?

William Koryciak
06-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Ed, I am glad that you are continuing on to Texas to see us! The cars are not the most important thing to us..., the fellowship is! It will be great to meet you and Kandy and I appreciate the 2nd effort!

Sarah Snook
06-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Is anyone looking for a roommate for the meet? If so, get in touch with Evan Butchers. He is looking for one.

John ED Renstrom
06-08-2015, 10:15 PM
We made it a lot nicer in Houston then Dallas