PDA

View Full Version : 1994 S&S Masterpiece

Peter Grave
05-14-2014, 11:07 AM
1994 S&S Masterpiece looks very nice decent price

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4411177838.html

Noah Dorsey
05-14-2014, 12:04 PM
This has been for sale for months. The price kept dropping, as low as $3500... but they just put a new windshield in. Has anyone looked at the car in person? I've wondered why it hasn't sold. If it was a bit closer to me and I could look at it first, I might be interested.

Kent Dorsey
05-14-2014, 12:18 PM
I am curious what you all think about how these cars are holding their age, to me the commercial glass Victoria's and Masterpieces of the '93-'96 era are looking their age a bit now, and the non commercial glass '93-'96 are REALLY looking their age.
But, everyone is different and views them differently...

Pat Post
05-14-2014, 12:29 PM
They are starting to look their age. But to me, they still exude a more elegant presence over those of late. Especially the commercial glass cars. I also love how everything with an LT1 has a Corvette motor.

Noah Dorsey
05-14-2014, 12:44 PM
I still think they're the nicest looking coaches of the last 35 years. And from what I've been told the Corvette engine is much more reliable than the Northstar engine, that's my reason for wanting a mid-90s Masterpiece.

Peter Grave
05-14-2014, 05:42 PM
All I can say is I have both a 96 Masterpiece and a 96 Commercial Glass six door and get nothing but compliments and questions on the style of both. The Masterpiece was at an antique radio meet this last weekend hauling vintage radios at least twenty radio collectors complimented me on the coach and asked questions about it and pro cars in general. Beautiful,distinguished,dignified, magnificent,cool,what a ride,follow both from ordinary folks no talk of old or vintage. I do not think they are getting long in tooth.

Pat Post
05-14-2014, 06:13 PM
I still think they're the nicest looking coaches of the last 35 years. And from what I've been told the Corvette engine is much more reliable than the Northstar engine, that's my reason for wanting a mid-90s Masterpiece.

I do agree with both statements. I had a '97 DeVille and the motor went south after 92k miles. I had it serviced regularly by the Caddy dealer in Ft. Walton beach. One day the the driver info center chimed in with "engine overheat. Stop car now." Blew a freeze plug right out of the block. These "Corvette" motors will last 300k+ with the right care.

Peter Grave
05-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Once again my two cents. The Lt-1 motor is great only draw back is opti spark and water pump. If water pump leaks it will take out opti spark distributer if not caught quickly. I owned sold and rebuilt about 500 94 to 96 Caprice cop cars in their time and they were far better than the fabeled Blues Mobiles. Fast great handling lots of room. The brougham was even better as it had the 12 bolt rear for the conversion cars with BIG drum rear brakes the cop cars had disc rear brakes that were troublesome. The 4L-60 trans requires top shelf fluid and service (screen gasket and oil change) about every 15K in Commercial cars due to weight. For those not interested in a hot rod the 93 Pro cars are the most reliable,dependable old fashioned throttle body 350 and the bullet proof 700R-4 trans 91 92 Roadmasters are the same except a few have 305 engines making them on the slug side. Fuel mileage is good on the NYC trip 17.2

Pat Post
05-14-2014, 07:33 PM
You are correct about the Optispark. Been there done that.

Kurt Arends
05-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Are those the factory installed drapes in that coach? They somewhat resemble a bad '80s prom dress!

Peter Grave
05-14-2014, 08:47 PM
Yep Factory Drapes but not tied off correctly. If not looked after they get tatty and dishevaled.

Phillip Sawyer
05-14-2014, 10:36 PM
where can you get a new windshield for the masterpiece?

Jonathan Murphy
05-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Looking closely, there are two things that stand out about this car:

The landau bars are from Superior and, up until recently, have been found on Superior coaches throughout the years.

The drapes are also from Superior. Superior used them on their commercial glass coaches of that era.

I guess you could say that it is just another "mutt" coach that makes this hobby so interesting!

Kurt Arends
05-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Isn't the rear interior ornamentation also Superior? The partition(glass) looks Superior as well to me.

Peter Grave
05-14-2014, 11:23 PM
Seems like I need to put my glasses on more often. I have a 94 Superior sitting right here and yes they are Superior bars and the same curtains as in the one here. The Glass on my 96 has S&S on it so I guess the one we have here was a "we are out of stock on the S&S parts today" when it was built who knows? Congrats on having sharp eyes.

Daniel Scully
05-14-2014, 11:47 PM
I am curious what you all think about how these cars are holding their age, to me the commercial glass Victoria's and Masterpieces of the '93-'96 era are looking their age a bit now, and the non commercial glass '93-'96 are REALLY looking their age.
But, everyone is different and views them differently..

The commercial glass coaches 93-96 to me still look great. I,am looking for a 95-96 anything without a blue interior.

The mirrors on the 93-94 on the door date the coach for me ,95-96 is on the top front of the door and blend in better. I had a 93 but had the dreaded blue interior .

Pat Post
05-15-2014, 12:46 AM
I like my blue interior.

Daniel Scully
05-15-2014, 12:51 AM
I like my blue interior.

The blue is nice,just seems 99% have a blue interior.

Peter Grave
05-15-2014, 08:29 AM
Someone get me a number for the windshield and I will contact my glass supplier

Kent Dorsey
05-15-2014, 09:06 AM
I am not saying the cars don't look good anymore, I am saying each car reaches a point where one day you look at it and things have just advanced in design so much, that the car has an older look overnight. I recently reached that point on the recently traded '97, and one of the things I thought dated it was the tail lights, carried over from the '93-'96 body style...

Kurt Arends
05-15-2014, 09:36 AM
The blue is nice,just seems 99% have a blue interior.

All the way through the '80s coachbuilders continued to offer so many interesting upholstery fabrics and colors. Then the '90s hit and they all started pushing that cheap, boring velour material with 99% of it being medium blue, regardless of the exterior color. I love the styling of the '93 through '96 coaches, but really don't care for their interiors. The coaches of the '80s have the coaches of the '90s beat in a big way when it comes to their interiors.

Kyle Martin
05-15-2014, 09:29 PM

96 masterpiece is the most beautifull coaches since the 70's in my opinion. Daniel skullys picture of the white one is magnificent. I agree about the blue interior. my eureka is white with the blue interior and its ok but I wish it was black or some other color.

John Royark JR
05-16-2014, 08:55 PM
I agree with some others here, I HATE those ugly blue interiors, the coachbuilders must have gotten a great deal on that fabric. As for the Superior/S&S blended coaches, there have been a few built I know at least one had the Superior wreath and name instead of the S&S coachlights. If I remember right Tony Karsnia knows the whole story behind these

John Burchfield
05-17-2014, 08:25 AM
I agree the interiors on the '93-'96 Fleetwoods were kind of disappointing. I had a '92 Brougham sedan that was triple "black sapphire" (i.e. navy blue) that had a beautiful, detailed leather interior (the standard w/ vertical pleats, not the over-the-top d'Elegance). I remember seeing the interior of the next generation cars and "what were they thinking?" came to mind as it looked quite bland compared to the previous cars. The hearses and ambulances are similar. One thought I had about this "Sover-piece" : was it wrecked when and repaired w/ some Superior trim parts? This could have been done with or without the owner's knowledge. Whoops, slip of the tongue-make that hearses and limousines! You can tell I'm of the era when "ambulances and hearses" was my favorite section of the yellow pages :D.

Pat Post
05-17-2014, 10:11 AM
This may be just hearsay. A while back one showed up online through a hearse dealer, the owner had wanted a Masterpiece when they came out with this style in '93. Thing was he only used Superiors. So he called up his dealer and order a Masterpiece with all superior markings. Could be the case here.

John Royark JR
05-17-2014, 10:35 AM
This may be just hearsay. A while back one showed up online through a hearse dealer, the owner had wanted a Masterpiece when they came out with this style in '93. Thing was he only used Superiors. So he called up his dealer and order a Masterpiece with all superior markings. Could be the case here.

Now that you mentioned it, that sounds like the story that I heard, maybe I didn't hear it from Tony). Here are the pictures I have of two others. I have them both listed as 1993's.
It is strange it has not been snagged up yet, its been listed at least 6 months.
Ont thing about these cars, they always do something to throw us off sometimes, there is a Superior/Eagle Lincoln in my area.

John Royark JR
05-17-2014, 10:50 AM
Here is a 1994 I forgot I had.

Tony Karsnia
05-17-2014, 11:37 AM
I believe I had previously posted photos of two of the cars John reviewed above. It is correct that some Superior customers wanted the same squared-off commercial glass styling that was intended to be S&S specific. Remember, at the time, Superior's Sovereign and Crown Sovereign were commercial glass cars, but with the aerodynamic windshield, roof, and A-pillars.

After a handful of these "Superior Masterpieces", I'll call them, were built, S&S dealers complained that this style was to be exclusively for S&S and so it was from that point on.

Notice that these "Superiors" don't have the S&S chrome grille bonnet.

Typical for professional cars in general, S&S and Superior tried to do anything they could to appease the customer. We have what appears to be a standard 1996 S&S Masterpiece, but when I received the original build sheets and paperwork, courtesy of Joe Bunn at Accubuilt, I was surprised to see that our car was special-ordered "coach lamp delete" meaning it had the Superior chrome wreaths on the "C" pillars instead of S&S coach lamps. The car has always been an S&S Masterpiece; the initial customer simply didn't care for coach lamps, apparently. The correct coach lamps were added ca. 1999 when the car went to its second home.

Incidentally, our Masterpiece has a black leather front interior and a Mulberry (dark plum) velour rear interior. Not a stitch of blue in sight! :D