PDA

View Full Version : 1957 Ford F100 Custom Cab Superior Ambulance

James Fischer
03-04-2014, 10:45 PM
A friend of a friend told me about this listing today,seems to be a very nice ambulance and a very rare bird at that ...located in Fortuna (extreme Northern Ca)...

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/4359969340.html

http://images.craigslist.org/00y0y_isTh9Yoq5T9_600x450.jpg

Attila Bethlenfalvy
03-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Being sold by a company that happened to have Superior in title at one point does not make coach builder Superior.

Kurt Arends
03-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Those are the same, screw-on-lens, plastic oval tunnel lights that Superior used for several years(1957 & later) on their school buses.

Kurt Arends
03-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Love the original 272 c.i. with the original "3 speed on the tree"!!

Rocky Fluegge
03-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Man I dig it!! love the funky shaped panel side window.

Peter Grave
03-05-2014, 12:17 AM
Think it could be a Superior. The logging company needed the truck for clearance on logging roads you would have torn the bottom out of a Cadillac. Lots of large businesses bought there own rigs and they sat most of the time. I bought a 49 Roadmaster from a fire company near here 30 years ago now owned by a PCS member and it had 9000 miles on it at he time. The company had donated it to the townships fire company and they ran out of room to store it. No matter who built it its neat but I bet it rides like a buckboard.

Tim Prieur
03-05-2014, 12:29 AM
Thanks James. That is a nice find!

Daniel Scully
03-05-2014, 12:56 AM
located in Fortuna (extreme Northern Ca)...

Thats where the 69 came from. Not sure if it was built by M-M or M&M :rolleyes:

Mike McDonald
03-05-2014, 07:07 AM
I've been by there many times over the years.... first time I have seen this Ambulance though. Scotia was the "company town" for Pacific Lumber's Mill and families of the workers located right alongside US 101 having it's own fire department, movie theater, stores etc. Probably had 15" HD split rim wheels when new with dog-dish FORD Hubcaps. THX for sharing! MM

Attila Bethlenfalvy
03-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Those are the same, screw-on-lens, plastic oval tunnel lights that Superior used for several years(1957 & later) on their school buses.

Point is, if this Ford is such a low mileage original it will have a Superior build plate in (likely) one of these two styles (both bus) still attached. Has nothing to do with a regional dealer water slide decal. A late model Toyota sold secondhand through a Chevy pre-owned lot with an added deck lid badge reflecting that Chevy dealership does not make it a Chevy, nor would anyone refer to it a Chevy based on that dealer badge. ;)

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3814/12949621595_3e676a0a27_b.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2883/12949755323_26092efa1f_b.jpg

Peter Grave
03-05-2014, 11:23 AM
I was just looking at the pictures again I am no student of Ford trucks but I note a slave cylinder for the clutch my memory says this had mechanical clutch linkage. I think the first Ford truck I had with a slave cylinder was a 1988. Any Ford truck experts here??

John Royark JR
03-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Its also interesting in the fact that it does not have any tail lights, just the top lights. I cant imagine it this way from the factory.

John ED Renstrom
03-05-2014, 03:02 PM
all right now come on lets look at the pictures again. it it obsobdiously a factory built rig. it can't be a superior as they never built on a truck chassis. young man got the truck not familiar with these kind of toys can only find the plaque for the place they got the truck from. makes a leap from there. so now we know how he made his mistake lets do some research and see who used this glass We have seen it before on a poncho. but it is a neat find and worth getting I think if your a ford lover.

Ken Elliott
03-05-2014, 06:52 PM
I noticed that somebody installed after market exhaust headers. The '57 Ford F-100 panel trucks had rectangular tail lights at the belt line that wrapped around the sides. I suppose the owner could have made the lights above the rear doors into combo tail/emerg. flashers. Interesting and clean though.

Kurt Arends
03-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Ed,
If you look very closely, you will see that the sticker on the dash is period-correct for the truck as it is a pre-area code phone number. I believe that area codes were added in the very early 1960s. Also, no question whatsoever on the tunnel lights being Superior. I have looked at way too many of these same oval lights(lenses are marked "Superior Coach") on school buses of that era.

Michael Catalano
03-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Found a possible "in-service" photo of this rig with a little digging in Yahoo Images:

http://images42.fotki.com/v1452/photos/4/438439/5974212/th-vi.jpg

Unfortunately the pic was linked to a dead website.

Yes, the owner did a little customizing and shaved the original taillamps, probably replaced with the high mounted ones. Here is what the stockers would have looked like:

http://images108.fotki.com/v1629/photos/4/438439/5974212/ebay395095-vi.jpg

(PS - my first post here, I'm a long time lurker and have known a few CA members here from the Ripon EV show where i've shown my CHP Mustang. Love all those old panel and carryall type ambulances with the '65-'68 Cadillacs coming in a very close second.)

Bill Marcy
03-05-2014, 08:17 PM
To me, it doesn't matter who built it, I love it. That ambulance can park in my garage any time!

Mike McDonald
03-05-2014, 08:24 PM
I noticed that somebody installed after market exhaust headers. The '57 Ford F-100 panel trucks had rectangular tail lights at the belt line that wrapped around the sides. I suppose the owner could have made the lights above the rear doors into combo tail/emerg. flashers. Interesting and clean though.

Ken: You are correct about the stock Ford Panel Truck Tail Lights. When I was growing up in Fallbrook CA (at 10 years old) a neighbor who sold baby chicks had a new 1957 F-100 painted "Robins Egg Blue". Just out of curiosity, I did a google search today on "information about the Pacific Lumber Company from Scotia, CA?" It turned up a lot of very interesting facts including them filing BK about time the Seller's Dad said he bought the Ambulance. Tom Shafer or Robert Shepherd may know something more about this rig or the Dealer in Burlingame?

It's likely that Pacific Lumber just kept this rig on standby at their main lumber mill (and company town) in Scotia for runs to nearby Fortuna or other larger towns. It's too nice and un-molested to have been used in the forest. Logging companies would have used "full three seated" Chevy-GMC Carryalls, or IHC Travelalls often beat-up AWD's called "crummies" to carry an injured logger out to an awaiting ambulance.

The puzzling part of this for me is the "professionally form fitted" tunnel lights with obviously Superior bus type ovals. Normally a "plant ambulance" in that era would have just had a couple of bolt on red lights (one STEADY of course after 1956 in CA). So maybe the outfit in Burlingame tried to custom build these add-on's for them? I may take a run up there to look at it in person. It's definately VERY NICE and a collectible one-off piece!. MM

Mike McDonald
03-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Found a possible "in-service" photo of this rig with a little digging in Yahoo Images:

http://images42.fotki.com/v1452/photos/4/438439/5974212/th-vi.jpg

Unfortunately the pic was linked to a dead website.

Yes, the owner did a little customizing and shaved the original taillamps, probably replaced with the high mounted ones. Here is what the stockers would have looked like:

http://images108.fotki.com/v1629/photos/4/438439/5974212/ebay395095-vi.jpg

(PS - my first post here, I'm a long time lurker and have known a few CA members here from the Ripon EV show where i've shown my CHP Mustang. Love all those old panel and carryall type ambulances with the '65-'68 Cadillacs coming in a very close second.)

THANKS MIKE for finding and posting this. I am still having a problem with the professional etched side glass and tunnel lights. It doesn't seem likely to me that the (new owner) would have gone to that much trouble buying this at auction...it seems that he was more in to changing the wheels for a custom car-cruise night look? As I recall Pacific Lumber's official company colors for their mill and company town were kind of a light sea-foam green. I think Ford's close color to that was called "Winter Green". And YES you are a famous CHP "SSP" Mustang owner-(meticulous) restorer from Ripon! THX AGAIN! MM

Michael Catalano
03-05-2014, 10:02 PM
THANKS MIKE for finding and posting this. I am still having a problem with the professional etched side glass and tunnel lights. It doesn't seem likely to me that the (new owner) would have gone to that much trouble buying this at auction...it seems that he was more in to changing the wheels for a custom car-cruise night look? As I recall Pacific Lumber's official company colors for their mill and company town were kind of a light sea-foam green. I think Ford's close color to that was called "Winter Green". And YES you are a famous CHP "SSP" Mustang owner-(meticulous) restorer from Ripon! THX AGAIN! MMHi Mike, I was reading the town of Scotia's website and in the history section they mention that when Fortuna opened a new hospital in 1957, they closed their 1920's era facility and started sending patients there. Wonder if the purchase of this rig was somehow related to this change-maybe it was an upgrade to an older plant ambulance that was less capable of making intercity runs???

I agree, I think the owner was just into mildly "rodding" what what already there and probably wouldn't have bothered with changing/adding tunnel lights. Looks like he did change out the rear bumper. It would be real nice if the original parts were saved.

I've been to Scotia a few times, what an interesting place!

John ED Renstrom
03-05-2014, 11:12 PM
the red one is a different rig. but along the same lines. the mild swapping stuff is topical to find. but the S&M oval lights were used on a lot of stuff besides superiors. making a set of plastic lens to replace the imposable to find glass ones would be the easy way out. I'm doing that right now on my poncho. the way the rear load compartment is put togather and the way the rear glass is installed say a factory job. the taillights could have been moved to allow the rear doors to open farther. they would shave the stops off the hinges to allow the doors to open flat. they would hit the lights were ford put them. it's a short wheel base so no divider. but to many other formed things for a homemade one. so skip the big 4 move into the smaller players. national never use that glass design so they are out to. I have only seen the 5 stripe cross in a circle for armbruster. economy use the 4 stripe same cross as did Memphis. so any pictures of a Yankee? Universel or Frankland glass out there? this is as close as I can get to it and it's unknown also. the superior sticker on the dash if a dealer sticker and like you said has the proper type number. but just because they were a superior dealership doesn't mean they did not sell other brands if asked for. that glass is just a little different then this one to

Jacob M. Fournier
03-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Just to throw my two cents into the mix - the shape of the side windows screams '47ish Miller to me - did anyone else use a similar shape? Even the etching is very close to the (few) photos I could find of '47 Miller ambulances with etched windows. What about the possibility of being built in-house by Pacific Lumber? An operation of that size would have had excellent shop facilities, and I've seen some pretty amazing stuff come out of logging co. shops. Or, maybe it was converted by the Superior Coach dealer, in-house? A pair of windows out of a trade-in on the back lot, build some tunnels out of some Superior school bus lights on the shelf…

Sharp looking unit.

John ED Renstrom
03-05-2014, 11:30 PM
they do look more like late 40 Miller. but what find is the smaller companies
would copy as the big guys moved on. here is a 48 miller. the cross is red and that 57 for has a mirror it looks to me like. like of like flexible did. I won't say they cold not have built it in house with parts from other rigs. but normal they did not set the glass in just cut the hole and put it in a rubber. I have a 60 falcon wagon and a econoline van that were lumber mill ambulances that were built in house and they look like they were converted .

Kurt Arends
03-06-2014, 12:00 AM
the red one is a different rig. but along the same lines. the mild swapping stuff is topical to find. but the S&M oval lights were used on a lot of stuff besides superiors. making a set of plastic lens to replace the imposable to find glass ones would be the easy way out. I'm doing that right now on my poncho. the way the rear load compartment is put togather and the way the rear glass is installed say a factory job. the taillights could have been moved to allow the rear doors to open father. they would shave the stops off the hinges to allow the doors to open flat. they would hit the lights were ford put them. it's a short wheel base so no divider. but to many other formed things for a homemade one. so skip the big 4 move into the smaller players. national never use that glass design so they are out to. I have only seen the 5 stripe cross in a circle for armbruster. economy use the 4 stripe same cross as did Memphis. so any pictures of a Yankee? Universel or Frankland glass out there? this is as close as I can get to it and it's unknown also. the superior sticker on the dash if a dealer sticker and like you said has the proper type number. but just because they were a superior dealership doesn't mean they did not sell other brands if asked for. that glass is just a little different then this one to

Ed,
As I mentioned previously..... The tunnel lights on this rig are not S&M lights. Never would have been. Superior did not use the oval glass S&M lights after 1956. Other smaller coach builders did. The tunnel lights on this rig are the stock "Superior" plastic oval lenses used on all of Superior's school buses from 1957 into the early '60s(they are slightly larger than the S&M glass lenses). They are identified on the lens with "Superior Coach".

Daniel Scully
03-06-2014, 12:18 AM
I was just looking at the pictures again I am no student of Ford trucks but I note a slave cylinder for the clutch my memory says this had mechanical clutch linkage. I think the first Ford truck I had with a slave cylinder was a 1988. Any Ford truck experts here??

The same basic body 57-60 used a hydraulic clutch , they went back to mechanical linkage in 61 . The 57-60 bell housings have a small tab where the slave cylinder bolts to. 56 was the last year for the master cylinder under the floor board and the old style pedals that came up thru the floorboard. This is on the F-100 chassis ,the bigger chassis would mix parts from year to year.

John ED Renstrom
03-06-2014, 12:17 PM
what to me is strange is that no one offered up the the standard builder on ford chassis that's Siebert. now that quarter glass looks a lot like there work. but I don't have any pictured with etched glass in my stash that are clear enough to see. here is a 53 courier. that shows similar quarter glass. the name tag could have been removed during the repaint. the add has been taken down hope some one that wanted that ambulance not the ford has it now.

John Royark JR
03-06-2014, 03:10 PM
ED, I looked through my pictures. Like you I don't have many that show Sieberts windows close up, but I see they used a few different designs. But this '59 Siebert Edsel looks the closest out of all the ones I have, but may still be way off. I tried to go back to the craigslist ad for a better look at the truck, but the post has been deleted, hope it is because its been sold and going to a good home.

Mike McDonald
03-06-2014, 09:35 PM
I was on an out of state business trip when this thread first started..... just got back to find out that the ad was pulled. Did anyone make a copy of the ad or the two phone contact numbers provided by the seller? I would like to pursue this now that I am back. THX-MM

James Fischer
03-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Mike,
Please PM me I have info...

Michael Catalano
03-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Posted here for posterity:

1957 Ford F100 Custom Cab Ambulance - $15000 (Fortuna)

This is an extremely rare 1957 Ford F100 Custom Cab ambulance. My dad bought this vehicle from Pacific Lumber Company in Scotia, California, in the year 2000 with 5,300 original miles. It now has 9,159 original miles on it. This ambulance was used for transporting people to the hospital from the sawmill or woods or wherever the person was inured. This was a company vehicle for the largest old-growth redwood mill in the world. This vehicle was made for The Pacific Lumber Company by Superior Coach Works in Ohio and sent to the Superior dealer in Burlingame, California. The ambulance was kept on standby in the firehouse in Scotia CA, plugged into pan heaters, ready to go at any time with no warm-up necessary. This is a very unique vehicle. I have not seen one like it and don't know anyone who has. My dad passed away in 2009 and I am selling it for my mom. Mostly all stock, except a few things my dad had done to it. He gave it a paint job, the ambulance lights and siren work, has original stretcher inside. He also put nice mag wheels on it and tires. It has the original sticker on the dash from Superior Coach Works in Ohio. It's been garaged its whole life since 1957 never stored outside. Since this was a custom-order vehicle, it is one of a kind and that adds to it's rarity and value. Has the typical oil leaks underneath around some seals, nothing major though, It runs excellent and is in excellent condition. If you want a one of a kind vehicle that is a real head turner and no one else has one like it anywhere, this is the car. If interested, please call (707)764-2585 or (707)599-2586 $15,000 firm

Michael Catalano
03-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Any one have an update on this one? It sure went away quick.

Mike McDonald
03-10-2014, 12:42 PM
YES.... I talked to Owner's Son. He took it off Craigslist a week or so ago because a person from Oregon or Washington said they were interested in it and were going to mail him a deposit and then come down to look at it. As of Saturday PM, neither had happened. I told him that I wanted it if the original deal fell thru... and would restore it back to it's original graphics, etc. I will check with him again later this afternoon. He is selling it for his Mother who still lives in the Scotia... (the company town) for employees of Pacific Lumber (AKA; PALCO). He told me that his Dad was born in the small company hospital there and worked for Pacific Lumber his entire life before passing away in 2009. The Son-Seller still works in the woods for the company that took over PALCO. He said that a year or so ago he had it at a car show in Fortuna and an elderly person came up to talk with him who had a wooden leg. He said that he lost his leg in a Yarder Accident in the late 50's working for PALCO and that very rig hauled him to the company hospital in Scotia. He said that "probably some of his blood was still back there as he made quite a mess that day". He is insistent that SUPERIOR made the conversion and NOT the Dealer in Burlingame based on documents with the vehicle and stories yield from Retired PALCO and Scotia VFD Employees since he has been the caretaker of it for his Mom. I will let you know what happens in the next 24 hours. MM

Steve Lichtman
03-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Good luck, Mike. It will be a nice rig.

Mike McDonald
03-11-2014, 08:56 AM
I talked to the Owner's Son last night and he is going to honor a verbal agreement he made with the Potential Buyer from (WA) a week or so ago when he first removed the Craig's List Ad(s) that he would "take it off the market and hold it until he came to personally inspect it"..... that is loosely scheduled for sometime this coming weekend. Until then, I will have to respect his "old school" (your word is your bond) trust in people. Further "reading between the lines", I think that if his elderly Mother didn't (have to) move out of the Pacific Lumber Company Owned housing she spent her entire life at.... and he could afford a safe-secure-climate controlled place to keep it.... it would probably not be for sale at all as he seems to have enjoyed taking it to local car shows and talking to PALCO-SCOTIA VFD Retirees about it since his Father passed away. So for now, I am going to patiently wait on the sidelines. MM

Darren Bedford
03-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Mike

I hope you get it !

I know the next week waiting will be a long wait.

Darren

Wayne Krakowski
03-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Mike,heres a wild idea I came up with,introduce him to the website,and tell him it lists shows, and if you get it, am sure you will tell us of its travels and he and is mom can see this also,and know it will be well cared for.just a crazy thought from the thawing out brain of a dam Canadian.

Michael Catalano
03-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the update Mike, I hope 'ya get it!

John ED Renstrom
03-14-2014, 12:46 AM
here is a little older add from Siebert showing a similar truck. the quarter glass is different as are the tunnel lights. so nothing positive

Darren Bedford
03-17-2014, 01:02 AM
Mike

Update Please !

Thanks,
Darren

Mike McDonald
03-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Darren: The Seller was going to call me by yesterday afternoon (Sunday) if the Buyer from (WA) didn't show up as agreed or if the deal fell thru. No calls, so I assume it went thru, but I will call him just in case later this afternoon. (*) He is well aware that I am "anxiously waiting in the wings" like a Dalmatian Puppy ready to jump in the seat of an Open Cab L-Model MACK Fire Engine! MM

Mike McDonald
03-17-2014, 10:33 PM
I talked to the Seller just now and (SADLY FOR ME) the deal went thru to the person in (WA). No other information is readily available. MM

I spoke to the Seller just now and it went to the Buyer in (WA) State

I talked to the Seller just now and it went to the Buyer in (WA) State

Rick Franklin
03-17-2014, 11:04 PM
Now Im curious. I wonder WHERE in Washington it went to?

Mike McDonald
03-17-2014, 11:18 PM
Rick: All I could find out was that he was "Ford Guy" and was going to show at cruising events, etc. It didn't sound like he was a "PCS Type".... but any other information wasn't freely given out. MM

Rick Franklin
03-18-2014, 12:43 AM
On the first Sunday in June at the college 2 miles from my house, there is a humoungus cruise in sponsored by the Early Ford V8 Club. I'll look for it there!

Michael Catalano
03-18-2014, 01:15 AM
Sorry it didn't work out Mike. Hope that rig is more preserved than rodded in the future.