PDA

View Full Version : 63 Superior Pontiac Ambulance

James Fischer
01-22-2014, 01:18 AM
WHAT is with all the 63 Superiors the last few weeks ?
This could be a nice restoration candidate....but not so sure of THAT price :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Bonneville-Superior-Coach-1963-pontiac-bonneville-superior-ambulance-fatcory-original-389-/310851621146?forcerrptr=true&hash=item486033511a&item=310851621146&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/2HAAAMXQlgtS3wzi/$_57.JPG

Rick Franklin
01-22-2014, 01:54 AM
Well, Dr Jensen's Kennedy clone sold for over $100,000!

Attila Bethlenfalvy
01-22-2014, 04:00 AM
THIS IS FROM MY PERSONAL COLLECTION THAT I THOUGHT I WOULD NEVER SELL, WELL IT'S THAT TIME NOW I NEED TO GET A ???????????

"I'd like BRAIN for $200 Alex."

Our first Daily Double and it's a visual clue.

"$60,000 Alex."

Here is image and your clue: Drive Type.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/8LgAAOxyRhBS3wzN/$_57.JPG

"What is left side drive?"

We were looking for rear wheel drive, sorry.

John ED Renstrom
01-22-2014, 12:58 PM
but wait remember there were only 16 made.

but it does have the appearance of a restore able car and one with factory air in 63 would be different. dump the cool mirrors and you would have a nice old car. but how come if he fixed the dent in the back door we only have pictures with the dent??

Peter Grave
01-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Stupid Buy It Now is gone the reserve remains whatever that is.

John Royark JR
01-22-2014, 05:20 PM
but wait remember there were only 16 made.

but it does have the appearance of a restore able car and one with factory air in 63 would be different. dump the cool mirrors and you would have a nice old car. but how come if he fixed the dent in the back door we only have pictures with the dent??

If it is an ambulance and not a combo Superior built 69 LWB Pontiacs. If it is a combo they built 139 LWB Pontiacs. Any idea what the side mirrors are from, I like them.
No matter what, '63 has got to be my favorite year of Superior Pontiac (I even like the Consorts this year, and I usually hate SWB coaches.

Kurt Arends
01-22-2014, 08:11 PM
The mirrors are after-market. Probably one of the coolest after-market mirrors ever made though!

Adam Borkat
01-22-2014, 11:35 PM
Same old car keeps coming up, this time for $15K more than the last. At least the guy appears to have quit lying about it being a California car. It was bought from someone in Georgia in late 2012 for $2500. I know, because I know the seller.

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12294

Steve Loftin
01-23-2014, 08:29 AM
If it is an ambulance and not a combo Superior built 69 LWB Pontiacs. If it is a combo they built 139 LWB Pontiacs.

Definitely a combination.

James Shao
01-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Steve, what details make it a combo and not just an ambulance?

Steve Loftin
01-23-2014, 10:46 AM
Steve, what details make it a combo and not just an ambulance?

Combination floor (casket rack mounts), combination partition, and combination switch panel.

James Shao
01-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Are the round spots in the floor the rack mounts? If it was an ambulance it would have had a cabinet for the partition and more switches on the panel?

John ED Renstrom
01-23-2014, 12:05 PM
there are enough pictures to see the details. the original color was baby blue and white. you can see were some enterprising person added the seat belts to it. but why does the webbing go around and threw the hinge. those neat mirrors. they are pitted. but worse does he still have the original wheels and caps? all in all it looks to be a decent car sits straight and the trim is there. according to the sell it is driven. the surface rust will be a problem covering over if its allowed to go much longer. but if it were a dark color we would not be seeing much in the picture. if he went down and put a quick paint job on the car it may bring the money he is asking. but me it being a poncho I would want to know if the timing chain has been changed?

John Royark JR
01-23-2014, 04:06 PM
there are enough pictures to see the details. the original color was baby blue and white. you can see were some enterprising person added the seat belts to it. but why does the webbing go around and threw the hinge. those neat mirrors. they are pitted. but worse does he still have the original wheels and caps? all in all it looks to be a decent car sits straight and the trim is there. according to the sell it is driven. the surface rust will be a problem covering over if its allowed to go much longer. but if it were a dark color we would not be seeing much in the picture. if he went down and put a quick paint job on the car it may bring the money he is asking. but me it being a poncho I would want to know if the timing chain has been changed?

ED, what years of these Pontiacs had the timing chain issue?

Steve Lichtman
01-23-2014, 10:04 PM
Are the round spots in the floor the rack mounts? If it was an ambulance it would have had a cabinet for the partition and more switches on the panel?Yes to all points, James. I see someone brought it to his attention and he now says it has the demountable beacon as well. So it is a combination as built.

Now it wasn't uncommon for a funeral home ambulance service to have a combination as their ambulance and never (or rarely) use it as a hearse, as the seller suggests. I know of another combination that was "always an ambulance".

James Shao
01-23-2014, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the lesson Steve, so many little details to learn......

John ED Renstrom
01-24-2014, 12:22 AM
ED, what years of these Pontiacs had the timing chain issue?

I can't say I just know that the early to mid 60s were knower to loose the timing chain around 60-70 thousand. the had a fiber cam gear that the teeth would shear off on when you shut it off. once replace with better stuff they ran forever.

Tim Prieur
01-24-2014, 01:40 AM
Looks like a great restoration candidate. Re enforces just how hard it is to find an straight ambulance of this vintage. A combination was cleaned up and put away. An ambulance sat out waiting for the next call.

Adam Borkat
01-28-2014, 10:35 AM
Okay, these are fake bids, right?? :eek:

Current bid: US $17,600.00 [ 35 bids ]
Reserve price not met

Attila Bethlenfalvy
01-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Unequivocally shill bids. Just view bid history and look at patterns. 19 bids from 2 bidders above honest market value pushing high bidder (also shill bid) up, probably near max, where a fresh bid placed from anyone new would represent 'real' money and may touch reserve.

Those top three bidders have made 100%, 100%, and 77% respectively of all eBay bids in last 30 days with this seller. These are tells and how people don't pick up on them more frequently is beyond me.

Adam Borkat
01-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Sometimes I can't tell the difference between 2/3 bidders with more dollars than sense and a seller's buddies. I've seen lots of B-J and Mecum auctions realize ridiculous prices because two guys got into a pi**ing match over who can spend more money on something. Perfect example was a blue 1970 Torino selling over $100K. The two bidders wanted it because one had a matching blue '70 Boss Mustang, and the other a matching '70 Torino in Orange. One of them walked away paying over twice what the car was worth in a normal market.

But anyway, when you see a $4K Pontiac combination getting $17K+ bids, you know something is up! And I wish he would stop using it to display surfboards for his other auctions. If he really thinks it's a $60K car, treat it like one :D

Attila Bethlenfalvy
01-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Agreed Adam - with a caveat. No heat of the moment pi$$ing contest enters into a winning bid equation of a timed auction unless placed in closing seconds. Significant difference. These are calculated, decisive, methodical shill bids placed. :)

Ron Devies
01-29-2014, 12:14 AM
Well if $28K will buy you that, then here is a bargain....who is willing to give me $50K? no resto required.

James Hobbs
02-15-2014, 03:13 PM
The whole thing seams weird , the price was up there , true the 63 are valued cause the JFK thing , but the vin plate was attached with screws instead of rivets ,, big red flag for me on that one !!

John ED Renstrom
02-16-2014, 12:56 AM
from all the looking we did on the JFk one it should be the way the door post vin was attached in that year. it's not the only vin on the car.

Peter Grave
02-16-2014, 09:33 AM
You are right ED I had a 68 Pontiac Superior ex military purchased at the Pennsylvania State auction had been in service at a state hospital. It had the regular door jamb plate I don't remember how it was attached but it had the Military big Vin and description plate on the right of the dash again if memory serves me it was attached to the glove box door.

John ED Renstrom
02-16-2014, 01:07 PM
the Dr John- BJ clone now owned by Alison showing the location of both tags. the military one is a reproduction brass one . the original would have been shinny tin and black paint. you look at the jams on this car and you see were some one painted everything. can't say who superior was one for cutting every corner they could.

Kurt Arends
04-17-2014, 05:53 PM
It's baaack!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Pontiac-Bonneville-/310933623111?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Kurt Arends
04-17-2014, 05:55 PM
The price has come down significantly! It really needs the factory 8-lug wheels!

Rick Franklin
04-17-2014, 07:13 PM
Realistically, what is this car worth in this condition?

Attila Bethlenfalvy
04-17-2014, 08:41 PM
http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11024

John ED Renstrom
04-17-2014, 11:38 PM
I would say 2 to 5 restored 10 to 25. it's reported to be a turn key drivable car. that is worth a lot on one.