View Full Version : PCS 2014 - Ramada, Olive Garden, Outback, & Jimmy Johns !

Darren Bedford
01-15-2014, 08:10 PM
I have already discovered that there are 3 Jimmy Johns in Rochester MN !

The closest being a 3 minute drive from the host hotel !!!

Tony sure did a good job picking that hotel !

Thanks brother !

Wayne Krakowski
01-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Looks to be a full and interesting week, and I must get to this Jimmy-Johns.

Darren Bedford
01-15-2014, 08:39 PM
I can't believe it !

Jimmy Johns, Olive Garden and Outback are all a
3 minute drive from the host hotel !!!

I am thrilled !!!

Jimmy Johns for me !

Olive Garden for Dan Skivolocke !

Outback for Phil Rishel !

The boys are set and can't wait for ROCHESTER MN in August !

Steve Lichtman
01-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Only 11 minutes to Red Lobster. I still owe John and Christie a trip there.

John ED Renstrom
01-16-2014, 10:29 AM
And a tour of the spam museum. I have been wanting to get a chance to see that one for 10 years now.l

Tom Hoczyk
01-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Ugh....... Jimmy John's makes the tiniest sandwiches for the highest price. Last choice on my list.

Darren Bedford
01-16-2014, 04:01 PM

JJ sandwiches are 4.50 for a 9", 5.50 for a 12" !!!

Does Indiana have a state tax on great food requiring them to make them 1/2 the size ?

We will fix that brother !

My treat for you in Flint in February !!! :thumbsup:
Forget waiting until MN in August to get this situation fixed !

John Royark JR
01-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Only 11 minutes to Red Lobster. I still owe John and Christie a trip there.

Don't worry, if you forget Christie will remind you!!

Sarah Snook
01-16-2014, 06:36 PM
I can kayak 10 minutes away, so I'm a happy camper. I'm looking forward to spending a day on the water and checking another state off on my states that I have kayaked in list.

Also, I checked out the hotel's website and the pool looks great. It is definitely worthy of the PCS swim team.

As for food, hopefully there's some good locally owned restaurants and not just chain stuff. The team likes to experience the local flair.

Chuck Kramer
01-16-2014, 08:18 PM
And a tour of the spam museum. I have been wanting to get a chance to see that one for 10 years now.l

I've been waiting too Ed! My dad served in WW2 and would NOT allow SPAM in the house! Out of respect for him ( he would be 101 if alive), I have never boughten a can of Spam! I'm looking forward to the free samples!

Kurt Halverson
01-16-2014, 08:58 PM
The internet still shows Red Lobsters old location, when it was down town. The good news is that it is now at the Apache Mall, which is only a stone's throw away!
Sarah, lots of great local restaurants: Victoria's for Italian, Panekooken for breakfast, and Newt's for burgers, just to name a few.
Rochester is a great town, and you can rest assured the Tony has an awesome agenda planned for everyone!
I can't wait to meet you all and show you some "Minnesota Nice"!

Tony Karsnia
01-16-2014, 09:39 PM
I can assure you that nobody will go hungry at this meet, and I seriously doubt I'll get any calls from panicked people who are lost in traffic somewhere. Rochester is such an easy city to navigate and, even if your favorite venue is on the complete opposite side, getting there is a breeze. We'll have maps and plenty of info for you, but it looks like several folks have already begun to check things out. As you make plans to descend on Rochester, a city rich in medical history, prepare to get a very large dose of that "Minnesota Nice" Kurt mentioned!

For those who like BBQ, we highly recommend these:

For a bit more formal dining experience, we highly recommend this place, an easy 18 mile drive from Rochester:

John ED Renstrom
01-16-2014, 11:14 PM
The last time I was there was in the early 80s. You before GPS map quest and all that.We made it to our rooming house,appointments and down town for food and back out. All with a paper map. Wow sounds like cave man times

Steve Lichtman
01-16-2014, 11:32 PM
The internet still shows Red Lobsters old location, when it was down town. The good news is that it is now at the Apache Mall, which is only a stone's throw away!...KurtGood to know, thanks!

Don't worry, if you forget Christie will remind you!!I'm sure of that! And I didn't forget... :cool:

Darren Bedford
01-17-2014, 06:30 PM
If the "Respond to Rochester" team could also look up some vegetarian/Vegan food spots, that would be great for those who apply.

Not me but I know that option usually gets forgotten about.

Wayne Krakowski
01-19-2014, 08:22 AM
Going over the listings as per the city home site we find a restaurant called "Canadian Honker" 1203 2nd St.S.W. in Rochester,as we saw in Milwaukee we rely on the hosts to tell us where the bestest eats are,or failing that follow the truckers:thumbsup:

Kurt Halverson
01-19-2014, 10:37 AM
Thank you for mentioning the Canadian Honker. Their food is fantastic, and sometimes they have live music, like Jazz. This restaurant does not disappoint!

Peter Bain
04-10-2014, 02:19 PM
Golly: Never EATEN or BOUGHT SPAM??!!! I'm (Stephanie Richardson-Bain) from Red Wing, MN and without SPAM would probably have starved as a kid ... and I still like it in spite of all the snickers. For those PCS'ers in the Philly area: I also love SCRAPPLE .... now those items are definitely 'local' color. I have many recipes to incorporate (NO, not disguise necessarily!) SPAM and some claim they didn't like SPAM but liked my creation. Touche' with humor and smiles this lovely Spring day in North Carolina! See you in MN!

John Royark JR
04-10-2014, 02:42 PM
I drove by the hotel a few weeks ago when I was in the area. Looks nice, and a gas station only a block away! I know I have to make a stop at Chucky Cheese also only about a block away.
If I remember right car wash is fairly close too.

Gregg D. Merksamer
06-11-2014, 01:33 PM
I'm mighty grateful for Tony's recommendations regarding Rochester restaurants found only in Rochester and nowhere else unlike The Olive Garden, as it's "against my religion" to eat franchised food on a backroad trip unless it's a franchise I don't have at home such as Hardee's. In my book nothing beats breakfast at a local trolley car diner off the courthouse square that's been catering to the locals since The Beaver was on TV, as exemplified by the plate of "Garbage" (eggs, meat, onions and potatoes mixed together) featured on the menu at one especially old-and-narrow diner I discovered in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana when Tom Hoczyk hosted the 1995 PCS International. I'm no less fond of the uniquely-local take on a "bacon cheeseburger" I experienced in downtown Brantford, Ontario on the way home from press days at the Detroit auto show - basically a beef patty with a pork chop on top! Not what I was used to but I've not forgotten it nearly a decade later, unlike my last meal at The Olive Garden.

Darren Bedford
06-11-2014, 06:27 PM

Absolutely !

I dig the small town FAMILY RESTAURANTS big time !

I look for them everywhere I go as well and they are getting harder to find all the time. The fast food chains are killing them like Walmart does to every town they show up in.

The reason I like Olive Garden is because they are no longer in Canada.
It has been likely 15 years since they closed and likely getting close to 8-9 years since Outback Steakhouse left Canada.

Like you, when you see a Hardees, you want to stop in. Same with me and Outback or Olive Garden.
I have eaten at enough of them in the last few years that I have no problem passing them now.

Why I mention Olive Garden is because some of my PCS friends also like Olive Garden, like Dan Skivolocke for example, and when we get together I know we will have a great time at the Olive Garden. More hanging out with my friends then the food but those bread sticks and salad are a great bonus !

Family Restaurants are a tradition like Diners and Drive-ins. Hard to come by these days but they sure are a welcome sight when seen today.

Enjoy the drive and dine on every road trip you take brother !

Steve Lichtman
06-11-2014, 07:48 PM
No Outback in Canada? No wonder I don't stay. I love Outback.

Trade Tim Hortons for Outback? Not a good deal.

Kurt Arends
06-11-2014, 08:09 PM
You can get anywhere within 10 minutes in Rochester! You have to remember that Rochester is a small city. There is a very good local Italian restaurant that I believe is called "Victoria's", if anyone is interested. Beats the heck out of the Olive Garden.

Darren Bedford
06-11-2014, 11:49 PM

Let's make sure we go to Outback Bro !

Thanks for the note. I will find them and check it out.
My favorite food is Italian so it will be a stop for sure !

Darren Bedford
08-20-2014, 09:27 PM
Just a quick note to let you all know that a bunch of us did have all 3 of our favorite places to eat !

Outback, Olive Garden and Jimmy Johns ! :thumbsup:

Jimmy Johns delivered to the PCS parking lot on a few occasions.

Rochester Rocks ! ...and tastes good too !

Steve Lichtman
08-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Well, I didn't get to go to Outback with Darren, but I did go to Red Lobster, finally, with John Royark and Christie Anderson. I intended to go to RL with them last year in Milwaukee but we could never work it out, so this year, we went (and Bill Donnell went with us, too). Whew!

So, Darren, next year, we'll go to Outback - I'm sure there's one in Houston!

Pat Post
08-21-2014, 10:35 AM
If I'm able to make it to Houston, the funeral home where my car started out is now a restaurant. That's where I'm going.

Darren Bedford
08-22-2014, 01:46 AM

If you are ever going to be near Buffalo or Niagara Falls, let me know and dinner at Outback is on me brother !

If it has to be next year, fine but I would rather see you sooner and Outback will be a treat.

Rick Franklin
08-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmm Ive never been to a Red Lobster....yet!

James Fischer
08-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm Ive never been to a Red Lobster....yet!

As a current chef working in a large pvt country club,I can tell you that with you living in the Northwest,you can do much better then Red Lobster.Trust me on that one !!;)