PDA

View Full Version : 1976 Cadillac hearse

Mike McGeehan
12-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Buy it or he's scrapping it !

Hey, I need to free space in my yard... Like yesterday. Have a 1976 Cadillac Hearse for sale, has the 8.2 liter 500 cubic inch engine. Needs gas tank, body work, fuel lines and a loving home. If no one buys it, I will be forced to SCRAP IT... And I'd really hate to do that to a running car. Price is pretty firm, I can get a lot for scrap, it weighs nearly 3 tons. Have pictures upon request.

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4261767491.html

Paul Newman
12-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Everybody thinks they are going to get a grand for scraping there hearse or limo.. It is the most over used thing to say the past couple years in sales adds... and is not going to happen !!!!

John Burchfield
12-28-2013, 01:21 PM
I don't understand why some CL and eBay listers run an ad without pictures. It's so easy to do and allows interested parties to get a better idea of the vehicle offered. Saves the seller lots of photo requests!

Peter Grave
12-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Hate to butt in here but a hearse or ambulance of the mid 70s will do just about $1000.00 in scrap just now. They do weigh in between 6500 and 7000 pounds. last week metal (crushed cars) hit 11 cents a pound so .11 x 7000 equals $770.00 then the heavy duty copper radiator will bring around $45.00 the aluminum AC radiator about $5.00 and the cat converter (75-76) if not burned up will bring about $65.00 depends where you sell them my cat man will pay more. So that comes to $885.00 in scrap add more if one or two batteries are still there. Since scrap prices are regional it can be more or less depending on the market in your area generally higher closer to a sea port.

Paul Newman
12-28-2013, 06:14 PM
maybe in your area.. i have never seen prices any wear near that around me and i used to to run scrap metal.

Peter Grave
12-28-2013, 07:49 PM
All I can tell you is I have a crusher guy in the yard now. He is crushing with his crusher hauling with his truck (average load is 12 to 15 cars) he is paying me 11 cents a pound and I see the weight slips so he is getting more than 11 cents a pound delivered to the scrap processor or he would not be doing it. I get to keep radiators cats batteries and anything else I want to keep and best of all the tires stay on the cars. Around here the ads in the newspapers are paying $250.. and up for junk cars so the bad thing is all the old heavy cars are going for scrap and parts are getting hard to find.

John ED Renstrom
12-28-2013, 08:42 PM
with a good front end clip going for 1000 to 1500 it's still worth more parted out then scraped. but a man should do what is best for there business. I'm lucky here one yard has decided to keep all there old caddy's and is crushing the new stuff.

Paul Newman
12-29-2013, 12:38 PM
I am amazed.. around here they top off at 2 or 300 hundred,, and that is for a big hearse.. Hell I was getting quotes for my ambulance for 300.. Almost seems worth it to haul the scrap up your way.. Here they give you 10 bucks for a cat.. They used to pay for them , but there was to much theft from peoples cars.. Now .. they don't..

Kurt Arends
12-29-2013, 01:11 PM
I scrapped a '60 New Yorker 4-door sedan parts car about a month ago that I had stripped clean. I got $333 for it by hauling it directly to the shredder here in town. I think it makes a huge difference in price as to whether you haul it directly to a processor, or to someone else that has to then crush it and haul it somewhere else to be processed. My '60 New Yorker probably weighed half of what most complete pro cars would weigh.

Peter Grave
12-29-2013, 01:26 PM
$10.00 for a cat is a joke the newer cats especially foreign are in the $75.00 and up range if you are luckey enough to have an MB or BMW cat you are looking at $175.00 or more' Last year a local Toyota dealer had a remote storage lot thieves came in at night on the weekend with battery Sawzalls got 74 cats off new Toyotas loss over 40K. Around here we have had BMW owners come out of the mall to loud exhaust yep the Sawzall boys were there.

John Royark JR
12-29-2013, 02:36 PM
Its been about 5 years or so but when I scrapped my 82 Eureka I got close t0 $700 for it., and it had fiberglass top and loading door. You just have to keep up on the prices, they fluctuate daily. I agree though, it seems more and more people are getting too lazy and do not put any effort at all in an ad and expecting to sell it. Ive seen everything from no pix to very poor ones so blurry you cant even tell what it is, if there is an interior shot its so packed with junk you cant see it any way, to ads only saying "hearse for sale, cool. $4,000". No other info mentioned, no year, chassis, nothing. Or so many typos that it looked like a 3 year old wrote it, I know Im not a perfect speller, but some of them are pathetic. How do they think they are going to sell it like that? When I see ads like that I usually don't give it a second look. If they cant put a small effort in to at least telling me the year its not worth my time (and I have a lot of that on my hands).