PDA

View Full Version : 71 chevy Ambulance (Cochise county) - $6000 (bisbee)

Joe Melanson
10-05-2013, 05:38 AM
71 chevy Ambulance (Cochise county) - $6000 (bisbee)

This is a 71 chevy suburban ambulance that has been in Cochise county since it was new. It has a rebuilt 307 engine with power steering and new power brakes. Has air conditioning just need to install condenser and compresser (which I have). Also have original papers to show it has been a ambulance since it was new. Asking 6,000 obo. You can call or text 520-two-two-seven-one-one-nine-eight.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4110050869.html

Mike McGeehan
10-05-2013, 05:48 AM
This has been posted on ebay several times with starting bid at $4,000 and " Buy it now" at $8,000. I like the rig but not that much.

Todd Merrifield
10-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Lights and crosses look like Superior? Did they do conversions on Suburbans?

Steve Tarbert
10-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Not that I am aware of especially in the 70s. They produced a standard Ford van conversion as their only deviation from the Cadillac and Pontiac based ambulances until 1972 - 73 when they came out with the wide body vans.

John ED Renstrom
10-05-2013, 11:49 AM
it is indeed a superior

John Royark JR
10-05-2013, 12:40 PM
It looks like a Superior, but I don't think it is. I dug out the Superior book and it never mentions a Suburban based ambulance.

Todd Merrifield
10-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Maybe we shouldn't talk about it being rare until one of us buys it...

Kyle Martin
10-06-2013, 10:39 AM
id give 4k and fed ex overnite but wanting more so...

Scott Crittenden
10-06-2013, 10:44 AM
The lights look like they are from an early sixties Superior. Anybody could have taken them off a junked rig and re-used them.

Steve Tarbert
10-06-2013, 11:43 AM
I just saw a brochure online for a 1971 Zephyr 54 from the Modular Ambulance Corp (Modulance) that looks alot like the one listed here.

John ED Renstrom
10-06-2013, 11:55 AM
the only other one with the cast in sign is the Zephyr. unfortunately there is not enough left of the back end on this one to compare them. but here is the side view. the roof is way different. so unless they offered two roofs? the pattern on the upholstery is the same though

Steve Lichtman
10-07-2013, 01:05 PM
It's NOT a Superior. Superior did not build any Suburbans, there is no mention in the Superior book, nor were there any ads for them.

Remember, folks, Superior didn't manufacture lights. They bought them from a supplier. Any company could buy the lights from the same manufacturer. So just because the lights look like a Superior doesn't make it a Superior.

Modular did build Zephyrs with the "Superior-style" lights. From the very spartan interior, it's possible that this was done by a different conversion company.

John ED Renstrom
10-07-2013, 10:28 PM
I could not find anything to back me up either but I'm sure that superior cast there own candles. the cross is what throws me. now it possible that some one could have removed these items from a superior and added them to this burb. along with the side signs. as the crosses are just a stud mount and the candles are aluminum and could be reshaped a little if necessary. but remove them and I still can't place that top on any known manufacture unless Zephyr had two tops a high and low. then of course by 71 superior did not use these candles anymore either

Steve Tarbert
10-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Due to site policy, I am not able to load the Zephyr brochure that I was referring to, but the top is definitely different from the one in the second set of pics. The patient compartments do look quite similar in layout. The brochure does show name signs in the raised roof on the sides.

Todd Merrifield
10-07-2013, 11:26 PM
http://www.emsclassics.com/details.php?PhotoNumber=14478

John ED Renstrom
10-08-2013, 12:32 PM
thanks Todd that was the pictures we needed. I was hoping to prompt some one to post the evidence not just make a statement. Peter's site does offer a lot of information on it. and a nice source if you have one of them for the Hx. it would show that they did offer two tops. in 71. this white one I have a picture of is off the e-bay auction. I believe it belongs to a member here now. if the other off Cregs list is there 54 offering, the one I post has to be a 60 inch top at lest. but here you can see the similarities on the trim and the way the sill is made all the little clues that point to the manufacture

John ED Renstrom
10-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Due to site policy, I am not able to load the Zephyr brochure that I was referring to, but the top is definitely different from the one in the second set of pics. The patient compartments do look quite similar in layout. The brochure does show name signs in the raised roof on the sides.

here is the lay out in the rear of the cregs list. you can see how the construction of what is left is the same as the white one posted. the problem in rebuilding it will be getting the interior back together. this is the same problem I'm looking at with the stoner here. but at least stoner went cheap and did the cover the plywood with vinyl trick. this is all lamanated