PDA

View Full Version : Overhead Switch Control Panel

Terry Broussard
11-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Has anyone pulled this and made a new engraved plate at a trophy shop or someplace? Mine is shot and I am going to do that was well fairly quick so I can quit getting my fingers stuck in the empty switch holes.

Jim Staruk
11-12-2009, 08:56 PM
I have someone who did mine. Came out perfect. Beautiful lettering. I'll upload a photo tomorrow. He will need the original to reproduce. Jim

Jean-Marc Dugas
11-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Terry,

Do you have a picture of your plate?

Terry Broussard
11-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Terry,

Do you have a picture of your plate?

Yes, it is in my 69 Pontiac album on this site. Looks just like yours.

Jean-Marc Dugas
01-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Terry, Are you going to make a reproduction of your switch plate?

Paul Steinberg
01-23-2010, 09:29 PM
It might be easier to put some switches into the blank holes if that is the only problem. I have a few generic switches that will fit in the holes if you want them..

Jean-Marc Dugas
01-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Let me dig out pictures of the switches to see if there are the same as the ones you have.

Terry Broussard
01-26-2010, 09:19 AM
I believe I will have to have a reproduction made since some of the thin middle switch dividers are broken, which makes the switch loose in the socket. I have some spare switches from my other Superior that are similar and may end up in the panel.

Right now it sits in the garage since it has been a bit cold for this Southerner to even begin the engine compartment clean up for the rebuilt 455 that should be here in two weeks...

Greg Steffe
01-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Terry, if it helps I added an additional switch to my panel for the bullett lights I added. The switch I used was made by McGill and it matched the original Superior white rockers exactly. I also might have an extra blank cover if you want it.

Terry Broussard
02-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Has anyone used this site, and if so, do you have your template file?

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/index.html

Terry Broussard
06-24-2013, 08:27 PM
One thing led to another and I ended up removing the switch panel for repair. A little backyard sandblasting, and it is looking pretty good. It is now at my brothers so he can CAD the name plate for me at the shop.

Terry Broussard
06-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Sandblasted and primed...out to have the cover name plate made.

Terry Broussard
06-24-2013, 08:41 PM
I learned a long time ago that a little GoJo hand cleaner in a rag or on a toothbrush applied to radios does great to clean up old grease. Honestly, it will make old wire look new.

Terry Broussard
08-25-2013, 08:47 AM
My brother designed a CAD file for my overhead plate. Still looking for a source that will take my file (dxf or dwg) and make one.

Any ideas?

Thanks

John ED Renstrom
08-25-2013, 10:57 AM
sorry I'm lost in the actiniums. are you trying to get the plastic bezel made or the foil stick on?

Terry Broussard
08-25-2013, 07:15 PM
sorry I'm lost in the actiniums. are you trying to get the plastic bezel made or the foil stick on?

I want to have the flat plate made that identifies the switches. Foil plate, but I'd like it all as one. I already have the black plastic bezel.

Thanks

Darryl Thompson
08-25-2013, 11:30 PM
I will order some brushed aluminum vinyl this week and see if my machines will cut the letters out that small. I have a couple switch plates that need to be updated / re-done. If it works, we all will have a source. :)

John ED Renstrom
08-25-2013, 11:44 PM
they were just printed on the foil on the original. most likely with a type set machine. as each car would be different. one could almost roll the material into a type writer (remember those) and type on the vinyl. then a shot of clear coat would keep it. a stop down to the hobby shop might reveal a source for a decal also. I do know they will make them up on a computer and printer now.

Darryl Thompson
08-26-2013, 01:17 AM
they were just printed on the foil on the original. most likely with a type set machine. as each car would be different. one could almost roll the material into a type writer (remember those) and type on the vinyl. then a shot of clear coat would keep it. a stop down to the hobby shop might reveal a source for a decal also. I do know they will make them up on a computer and printer now.

If only if it was as simple as using that typewriter. :rolleyes: The originals were cut on a Gerber plotter through many years. All of them were then >Laminated< then applied to the acrylic color of choice for illumination.

I have several switch panels here and yes that bug got up my rear to see if it could be done on the modern cutting equipment. IT WORKS! However (ie: spend some moola), I now have a better reason to order the thicker "brushed" metal film now.

Looks like I will go ahead and use my template to have some red and white acrylic laser cut for new switch panels for my rigs. With the brushed metal vinyl, Viola! New Switch Panels!! :D

Heres the sample cut on just some simple cheap thin thin vinyl. Letter quality at this size gets better with thicker films.

Ps: Why go hobby, when you can go professional? Lol :p

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/neonwerkz/e9b6e3a5-bdfb-4825-987a-bf1856977bb8_zpse342175e.jpg (http://s383.photobucket.com/user/neonwerkz/media/e9b6e3a5-bdfb-4825-987a-bf1856977bb8_zpse342175e.jpg.html)

Terry Broussard
08-26-2013, 05:46 AM
It was made of plastic on my first '75 Cadillac. Black top, with white under layer much like simple nametags. When engraved, it produced white lettering that permitted backlighting.

I have a dxf or dwg file if you'd like to try one....

James Fischer
08-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Well as they say ..it looks spot on !!!:thumbsup:

I think you are creating a new market Darryl !!

Thank you for the time and money invested so far !

Jim

John ED Renstrom
08-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Ps: Why go hobby, when you can go professional? Lol :p.[/QUOTE]

true how true. nice when you have the equipment to do so. but for us country boys just come to town to show our car, we have to get inventive. so how much to reproduce them and what would be your turn around time? could you do black letters same as superior or the black on white stick on fall off ones that MM used? the key to restoring the car is to do it as close to original as one can get. reinventing the wheel is a lot ease then rebuilding a 50 year old one. but man a source for these kind of things that look original is a big boost to that end. so far I have not had this problem except the MM tabs that are lost. but looking at it a decal layer over this material would be so close to superiors printed stick on labels. you could not tell it had been reproduced. not to even mention the worn out labels on heater control knobs air condition controls and light switches threw out the car.

Terry Broussard
10-31-2013, 05:44 AM
Ran across a sign man at the local cleaners and finally have the plastic "that 70's look" switch plate made and installed. Now it just makes me need the upholstery even more...next major project.

Steve Lichtman
10-31-2013, 09:56 AM
That looks really good. :cool:

James Fischer
10-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Terry,
The plate looks VERY period correct !! :thumbsup:
Great job......now have you considered marketing them ?? :rolleyes:

John ED Renstrom
10-31-2013, 12:07 PM
nice. a brass brush and a little rubbing compound will clean the switches up also. it just never ends does it. if you take the inside molding off the head liner is supposed to be stapled to the nail on there. if it hasn't shrunk up to much and there are not any rips or tears. pull the plastic pieces screwed threw it, tug it back and restaple it. then coat it with shoe polish. it will clean up the stains, brighten it up, soften the vinyl and you may find living with it is good. clean it first with the scrubbing bubbles.

Jim Staruk
10-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Terry,

I'd love to purchase one for my '75 ...

Terry Broussard
10-31-2013, 06:39 PM
Terry,

As soon as I know the final price, I'll gladly share. Funny, this all started with a small sign on the glass at my cleaners in my little town....

Terry Broussard
10-31-2013, 06:40 PM
nice. a brass brush and a little rubbing compound will clean the switches up also. it just never ends does it. if you take the inside molding off the head liner is supposed to be stapled to the nail on there. if it hasn't shrunk up to much and there are not any rips or tears. pull the plastic pieces screwed threw it, tug it back and restaple it. then coat it with shoe polish. it will clean up the stains, brighten it up, soften the vinyl and you may find living with it is good. clean it first with the scrubbing bubbles.

I am getting quotes soon as the entire upholstery needs doing...
You are seeing just one piece. The rest is a mess as well.

Abe Bush
10-31-2013, 08:02 PM
Looks great Terry! I noticed you have a master switch, and I always wondered if these professional car ambulances could be ordered with one as an option. When on, does it idle high to run all the lights and electrical equipment? I remember reading how many units with "too many lights" would cause the lights to dim, or even rotate slow especially when winding up the q...and I'm wondering if a unit equipped with a master switch gets around that problem?

Abe

Terry Broussard
10-31-2013, 08:48 PM
Looks great Terry! I noticed you have a master switch, and I always wondered if these professional car ambulances could be ordered with one as an option. When on, does it idle high to run all the lights and electrical equipment? I remember reading how many units with "too many lights" would cause the lights to dim, or even rotate slow especially when winding up the q...and I'm wondering if a unit equipped with a master switch gets around that problem?

Abe

Abe

Not connected to an engine idle. Might have a good idea, considering the load. Judging by the hole under the dashboard with the corresponding mount, there was a cable idle adjuster. I have not replaced that.

All of the switches are original, but I did re-arrange them a bit more logically in my mind: power, lights, sign, siren...showtime!

Terry

Terry Broussard
11-02-2013, 07:10 AM
I talked with Brook at NamesPlate LA. (That LA is for Louisiana!) Price is about $40. Said since he has the CAD, he could make more so just let him know. Great guy.

Brook Lyons
Nameplates, Inc.
8088 Pipes Lane
Ethel, LA 70730
225-683-5500
nameplates@nameplatesLA.com

Jeremy D. Ledford
11-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Think he could do this style and size that M-M used?

John ED Renstrom
11-02-2013, 12:40 PM
you mean the glue on fall off ones. a source for them would really help.

Terry Broussard
11-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Think he could do this style and size that M-M used?

Absolutely. Just email him. Real easy to work with...

Jim Staruk
01-31-2014, 03:15 PM
I'm about to order a new switch control panel for my '75XL but I'm stuck on the exact wordage I want to use to describe the three sets of lights on my car. In one (or two) short words, how would you name these lights below their corresponding switch? Thanks

Ken Novak
01-31-2014, 03:20 PM
Beacon/Tunnel/Ditch ???

Jim Staruk
01-31-2014, 05:27 PM
Beacon/Tunnel/Ditch ???

Tunnels, that's what I was stuck on! Perfect! Thanks.

John ED Renstrom
01-31-2014, 11:32 PM
or you could call them corner lights . but mostly I have seen them referred to as roof lights. beacon is always labeled separate as are the scene or work lights. the load light is sometimes on a switch but mostly on and off with the rear door. all though superiors liked to wire them so they only came on if the taillights were on.

Bruce Biancalana
02-01-2014, 01:00 AM
They both look good. All my Superior ambulances have the silver foil look, did they also offer the black version that Terry has?

Terry Broussard
02-01-2014, 06:47 AM
They both look good. All my Superior ambulances have the silver foil look, did they also offer the black version that Terry has?

Mine had foil too, but it was ruined. The Cadillac has black plastic, so I made the switch based on what this shop could do.