PDA

View Full Version : 1972 superior ambulance Colorado

Chris Elzie
09-12-2013, 10:38 PM
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4062898686.html

Bill Marcy
09-12-2013, 11:29 PM
All I can say is that I wish I could buy it!

John ED Renstrom
09-12-2013, 11:47 PM
it's a ambulance if you find mice in it. be nice to know the damage they did if one is spending that kind of money.

Abe Bush
09-12-2013, 11:58 PM
I can attest this ambulance was purchased brand new by Reed Ambulance in Denver. Reed ambulance was bought by Mr. Allen J. Powers in 1979 after Mr. Reed's sudden death. Mr. Powers owned and operated the company as Reed Ambulance until he sold the company in 1993, I believe to AMR. But in 2000, Mr. Powers decided to get back into the ambulance business again, and started up a new ambulance service in the Denver metro area, called Action Care Ambulance, Inc.

I worked for Reed ambulance for one year in 1989 driving a "Cabulance" (even though I was a Nationally registered EMT-Basic, I was only 19 at the time and didn't have my CO EMT license, and CO didn't offer reciprocity) , and saw pics of this Cadillac in a big photo album in the break room at our headquarters. At the time, this 1972 Superior Cadillac was considered a "sacred cow", and was only brought out for special occasions.

I am surprised to see they are selling it after all these years. When they say the original owner has the title, that's actually not true. The original owner -- Mr. Reed -- died in 1979, although the current owner of this ambulance bought the entire company (which would have included this ambulance) from the original owner.

Rocky Fluegge
09-13-2013, 12:50 AM
looks like a really nice ride. Seems like a really good price if it is as nice as it looks. Would not take long if you buy a rougher car and try to do paint and chrome. You would be way over the asking price of that car.

Fred Goerlitz
09-13-2013, 06:06 AM
If memory serves it was at the International Meet in Denver.

Josh Noiles
09-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Wow! This one seems like quite a find. Certainly a beautiful car!

Bruce Oliphant
09-13-2013, 08:39 AM
I started in the EMS business in 1979 as an apprentice (Explorer) with Reed Ambulance under Mr. Powers. I rode car 4 out of what was then Aurora Community Hospital. Reed was a good outfit and I hated to see them sell but...:blahblah:

John ED Renstrom
09-13-2013, 11:54 AM

yes it was. depending on the damage inside one could easily get another 5g into repairing the interior. but even at that you end up with 20,000 in it it's a cheep ride ready to go. as I remember the car it sat way high in the rear. the rear spring have been re arched and they got a little to much into them. but they probity settled down by now. here are the pictures I have from the 05 meet. nice to see one with the correct tires on it. whats a little orange peel among friends

Kurt Arends
09-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Looks to be a good price on a nice 51" ambulance! Cars are like houses, they always need something repaired or modified to meet the new owner's taste. I would, personally, remove all of the "Reeds" decals off of the windows immediately and get the rear end back down where it should be.

Jeremy D. Ledford
09-13-2013, 01:20 PM

whats a little orange peel among friends

I remember when that car rolled in at Denver the paint was so fresh that you could still smell it curing out too!

Terry Broussard
09-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Love this Caddie!

James Douglas
12-08-2013, 09:03 PM
don't mean to go off topic but whats going on with the black car to the left? is that like a goth-busters car?? :confused:

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20848&stc=1&d=1379084090

Danny Ryder
12-08-2013, 10:23 PM
James I believe that belonged to Zach also from Denver.

James Douglas
12-08-2013, 10:26 PM
James I believe that belonged to Zach also from Denver.

thanks but I was looking for for what it was or whats going on with it. What is on the roof near the rear and is that a light bar behind whatever that is? Also whats up with the chrome looking strips on the front?

:confused:

John Royark JR
12-09-2013, 11:42 AM
thanks but I was looking for for what it was or whats going on with it. What is on the roof near the rear and is that a light bar behind whatever that is? Also whats up with the chrome looking strips on the front?

:confused:

Its not chrome, they are purple scallops painted on. Its a customized 64 Cotner/Bevington Olds owned by Zach Helm (Denver hearse Association)

Steve Lichtman
12-09-2013, 12:48 PM
thanks but I was looking for for what it was or whats going on with it. What is on the roof near the rear and is that a light bar behind whatever that is? Also whats up with the chrome looking strips on the front? :confused:We've been trying to figure out what's going on there for years. :rolleyes: Actually, that was Zach's mildest goth-custom, a '64 CB Olds.

Kyle Martin
12-09-2013, 02:04 PM
We've been trying to figure out what's going on there for years. :rolleyes: Actually, that was Zach's mildest goth-custom, a '64 CB Olds.

another fine and rare car ruined for what? c/b's are rare. looks like a fake rocket launcher or nuclear missle storage canister. next it will have a blue lightbar and ladder racks. gosh, the more I see getting ruined the sadder I get. after all they only made what they made and I know of no used pro car factory. im being synical but I love these cars and one ruined by rust is one thing but ruined on purpose is another. after all, if he wants to ever sell it who is looking to buy a gothmobile that looks like a mel Gibson movie. not trying to make anybody mad and please don't be offended because after all its a free country and you can do anything you want. I just don't have to agree..

Ken Novak
12-09-2013, 02:08 PM
another fine and rare car ruined for what? c/b's are rare. looks like a fake rocket launcher or nuclear missle storage canister. next it will have a blue lightbar and ladder racks. gosh, the more I see getting ruined the sadder I get. after all they only made what they made and I know of no used pro car factory. im being synical but I love these cars and one ruined by rust is one thing but ruined on purpose is another. after all, if he wants to ever sell it who is looking to buy a gothmobile that looks like a mel Gibson movie. not trying to make anybody mad and please don't be offended because after all its a free country and you can do anything you want. I just don't have to agree..

I can't believe it was at a PCS meet!:eek:

John Royark JR
12-09-2013, 08:28 PM
I can't believe it was at a PCS meet!:eek:

But considering the owner is the one hosting the meet I guess it slid in, along with the other car he owns which is this (my 85 Superior is next to it)

Ken Novak
12-09-2013, 08:31 PM
But considering the owner is the one hosting the meet I guess it slid in, along with the other car he owns which is this (my 85 Superior is next to it)

:eek: I wouldnt want it next to any of mine

James Douglas
12-14-2013, 08:13 PM

I haven't seen the car in person but if its simply cosmetic customizations those can easily be returned back to a more original car. Take the stuff off the roof and fill int eh holes and then pain over the entire car and cover up the flames, etc.. In these cases I have no real issue as the car itself is still there and is being cared for. Same goes for the Ghostbusters cars, at least they are almost whole and just have cosmetic junk all over them.

What I cannot stand is procars being used in demolition derbies or left out in a junk yard with other cars where they are sunk into the mud to the fenders and allowed to have frame rot.

John Royark JR
12-15-2013, 12:35 PM
I haven't seen the car in person but if its simply cosmetic customizations those can easily be returned back to a more original car. Take the stuff off the roof and fill int eh holes and then pain over the entire car and cover up the flames, etc.. In these cases I have no real issue as the car itself is still there and is being cared for. Same goes for the Ghostbusters cars, at least they are almost whole and just have cosmetic junk all over them.

What I cannot stand is procars being used in demolition derbies or left out in a junk yard with other cars where they are sunk into the mud to the fenders and allowed to have frame rot.

Yes, its all cosmetic. Here are some pix I took of it in 2005 at the PCS International. Im not sure if the car even exists anymore, haven't seen any recent pix of it, and know hes driving something else.

Ken Novak
12-15-2013, 12:46 PM
what a shame.........

James Douglas
12-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Yes, its all cosmetic. Here are some pix I took of it in 2005 at the PCS International. Im not sure if the car even exists anymore, haven't seen any recent pix of it, and know hes driving something else.

The images are not showing up for me, but watch me post this and then they show up.

John Royark JR
12-15-2013, 04:34 PM
The images are not showing up for me, but watch me post this and then they show up.

Not sure why they didn't show up, I see them. Anyone else have this trouble?