View Full Version : Open titles barnfind for sale Fairfield, OH

Josh Rutter
05-22-2013, 12:29 PM
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bar/3807795010.html

One vehicle of note is a 1963 BUICK COMBINATION FUNERAL CAR / AMBULANCE
as described in listing.

Kurt Arends
05-22-2013, 02:11 PM
I still don't understand what good the open title is if you don't have a VIN plate to match it. I guess that it could get you a registration if you are in the same state as the open title, but sooner or later most cars get sold and that title will be compared to the VIN plate on the car.

Steve Lichtman
05-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Actually, at least here in MD, if you walk in to the Motor Vehicle office with a signed title, you walk out with tags. Nobody ever looks at the car itself. That would happen during the vehicle inspection, where the VIN is compared to the title, but historic vehicles are not subject to inspection.

Kurt Arends
05-22-2013, 05:52 PM
The next prospective buyer would sure want to compare the title to the VIN plate. Your registration form's VIN number would not match the vehicle either. Which VIN number would you give your insurance provider for your "proof of insurance" form? It would definitely affect resale value and possibly insurability.

Joe Sebbio
05-22-2013, 08:34 PM
I just had conversation with a retired Ohio BMV investigator. Selling titles in Ohio can lead to a felony charge if the titles were originally issued by the same.
Sell a title and VIN plate will get you jail time in every state.
Ohio revised code sections 4505.15 (3)(4) and 4505.19(3)(B) list penalties.
Even though the Ohio BMV and Highway Patrol are not really looking for titles that are pre-ATPS (the new style computer printed) its not a good idea to buy one even to collect.
Don't buy a car without a title because there is no simple straight-forward way to get on that doesn't involve the courts and court orders.

Bill Marcy
05-22-2013, 08:42 PM
I would definately proceed with caution here If you just want to collect the titles, that may, or may not be legal. But, I am willing to bet that if you use one, that might put you in a heap of trouble.Be careful guys.

Attila Bethlenfalvy
05-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Seller obviously doesn't know the legalities. Joe is correct. Stating that they are titles is a kiss of death. Selling as historical document suitable for framing seems to slide by more often unnoticed however.

Ryan Burman
05-22-2013, 10:42 PM
I know a couple very popular vintage car related sites where the selling of "historical documents with open buyers lines already singed off by the previous owner" is the norm for 1950s and older cars. Rat rod guys are famous for it also. It is illegal but it does happen. OFTEN!

Paul Steinberg
05-22-2013, 10:43 PM
He must be reading this website........

This posting has been deleted by its author.

(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)

Josh Rutter
05-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Sorry guys didnt know of all the legal stuff, just figured id post this incase someone knew of or was in possession of the car the title was for and could use it. Also im not the one selling these just to clarify, just happened to find these while craigslist surfing.

Kurt Arends
05-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Sorry guys didnt know of all the legal stuff, just figured id post this incase someone knew of or was in possession of the car the title was for and could use it. Also im not the one selling these just to clarify, just happened to find these while craigslist surfing.

No need to apologize Josh. I am glad that you posted the Craig's List listing! It makes for good conversation regarding this pertinent issue. I would have posted it as well, had I seen it on Craig's List. They definitely aren't making it any easier for any of us to get titles on vehicles where the title has been lost, but there are ways to do it legally.

Paul Yates
05-23-2013, 07:51 PM
I have probly +/- 100 original "historical documents" all originals 1910-1940. Ford,chevy, studebaker, pierce arrow, even hupmobile and some other oddballs. They come in handy.