PDA

View Full Version : 1958 Franklin Cadillac Ambulance

Shawn Koenig
04-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Recently discussed in the considered a procar thread,
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3737609080.html

Steve Lichtman
04-15-2013, 09:43 PM
I wish he'd come down in price so it would be priced realistically for it's condition.

But I really, really wish he would stop calling it a "patty wagon"!!!

Martin Harvey
04-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Steve are you able to find a picture of this fleet when they were in service?

Daniel McCann - Deceased - 1965 - 2016
04-15-2013, 11:52 PM
There where three of these build. They wheree all from the Jersey shore. They were owned by Spring Lake,Manasquan, and Point Pleasent Beach. The one that is for sale was Point Pleasent Beaches they sold it to Breille when the squad was started. It was then used by the Fire Police.I have a picture of both manasquan's and Sping Lake's. Sping Lake's was green, the other two were white. They were primeraly use for MVA's. I think the price is way to much for the condition it is in,But very restorable.

Bill Marcy
04-16-2013, 07:45 AM
I am pretty sure that this same seller has had a number of interesting procars for sale over the years. He is a bit difficult to deal with, if it is the guy I am thinking of. But, if someone wants it, you can probably make a deal. BTW, he is about an hour from me, if anyone would like me to look it over.

Attila Bethlenfalvy
04-16-2013, 09:00 AM
I wish he'd come down in price so it would be priced realistically for it's condition.

I'm personally friends with a very private Cadillac collector who has a historically significant collection. His finger has been on the pulse of market prices going back to the early '80s. His offer on this '58 was more than twice yours two weeks before you made one. I'll err with seller being high, your offer being way low, and the other one being very close to what actual worth is. I don't know anyone else who maintains an expectation of buying any run of the mill running rot-free '58 Cadillac for $4k, let alone a 1 of 1. Such instances are exceptions, not the norm! Having been in a fantastic position to fortuitously acquire several ambulances below market over decades may cloud judgement, which is understandable.

I am pretty sure that this same seller has had a number of interesting procars for sale over the years.

Same guy.

Pat Post
04-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Rot free? The floor and rockers are shot. Not to mention above the doors and who knows what the frame looks like. It may be a one of one with "historical" significance but to me it's not worth $14,500. Maybe 7 if the frame is good. But it sure is cool.

Steve Lichtman
04-16-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm personally friends with a very private Cadillac collector who has a historically significant collection. His finger has been on the pulse of market prices going back to the early '80s. His offer on this '58 was more than twice yours two weeks before you made one. I'll err with seller being high, your offer being way low, and the other one being very close to what actual worth is. I don't know anyone else who maintains an expectation of buying any run of the mill running rot-free '58 Cadillac for $4k, let alone a 1 of 1. Such instances are exceptions, not the norm! Having been in a fantastic position to fortuitously acquire several ambulances below market over decades may cloud judgement, which is understandable. It's not so much the rarity of the car, it's the understanding of just how much work (=$$$) will be required to make this good (combined with my ability to pay). If the seller would come to the range your friend offered, we might have been able to negotiate, but he's not even in the zip code.

Martin, here is the pic of this one when it was in service, from the other thread:

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17675&stc=1&d=1363802412

The Spring Lake one is also in the other thread. Dan, can you post a picture of Manasquan's?

Also, the story in Coachbuilt.com (http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/f/franklin/franklin.htm) about these mentions two more built for Belmar, NJ. Does anyone know anything about those?

Joseph McDonald
04-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Perhaps its already been discussed, but does anybody know if these were built on the commercial series 86 frame? Or were these cars cut and stretched by Franklin Body to fit the box units?

Darren Bedford
04-16-2013, 04:46 PM
1958 Cadillac BOX ambulance... well ahead of its time !

Rare ambulance... not something I would want... not even for free !
It's ugly.

In this case, I would rather have a 1958 Camper ! ...and would be willing to put out some money for it.

MY OPINION ONLY FOLKS,
Darren

Daniel McCann - Deceased - 1965 - 2016
04-16-2013, 09:59 PM
I will work ongetting a picture of Manasquan's posted. I have spoken to several people at the Jersey Shore. they only know of three Franklins that were in service at the Jersey Shore. I have never heard of Belmar ever having a franklin box.