PDA

View Full Version : NY pest control 1968 Superior Ambulance

Robert Davidson
12-10-2012, 11:42 PM
I've seen pictures of this one for years taken in various parts of NY City and area and finally its for sale... $2000. Probably a fair bit of work to restore but somebody might want to give it a try...

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3459213410.html

John ED Renstrom
12-10-2012, 11:48 PM
I've fixed worse. it's looks to be pretty much all there with the hard stuff anyway. but a man would have to really want one.

Bill Marcy
12-11-2012, 09:06 AM
I went to see this car about a year, or so ago. It is worse in person. We have discussed this one before. In spite of the condition, it sure would be nice to see it saved, wouldn't it?

John ED Renstrom
12-11-2012, 02:14 PM
at least the price has tumbled to a realistic value.

Matthew Taylor
12-11-2012, 03:15 PM
At half that price I could get it shipped to Missouri. I doubt it would make it for a "Fly and Drive" - and I don't have the time these days to go get it myself.

Bill Marcy
12-11-2012, 07:43 PM
At half that price I could get it shipped to Missouri. I doubt it would make it for a "Fly and Drive" - and I don't have the time these days to go get it myself.

Matthew, it is my belief that the car does not even run. When I went to see it, there were no batteries in it and no air cleaner on it, plus the engine was filthy. As I was standing there, he told me he drove it the day before, I doubt it very much. I am not saying that it has no value, but you really have to figure it for a full restoration.

Shawn Koenig
01-04-2013, 05:52 PM
back up with a $500 price reduction.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3520481657.html

Attila Bethlenfalvy
01-04-2013, 06:33 PM
4 year old street capture:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8223/8339971805_d4abbce1c5_b.jpg

Paul Newman
01-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Holy crap.. NY City must have really lenient inspections to let that fly .. Still If i had some the extra money i would make him an offer.

Mike McDonald
01-04-2013, 07:23 PM
The Seller says "it drives like new" and it also has that VERY RARE & DESIREABLE "hand operated reflector light".... sometung tells me he' not a seasoned Pro-Car Man?

Bill Marcy
01-04-2013, 08:09 PM
The Seller says "it drives like new" and it also has that VERY RARE & DESIREABLE "hand operated reflector light".... sometung tells me he' not a seasoned Pro-Car Man?

But he is a liar and an a--hole! It needs a full restoration, period. He should just sell it honestly, instead of making up a story about it. The fact is that I would love to be able to restore an ambulance like this one, but I would be beaten, brutalized and thrown out of my house by "my boss" if I did. I sure would love to see it saved by somebody, but it is very close to extinction, at least in my opinion.

Paul Newman
01-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Just talked to the owner.. He likes to talk :) said he bought the car at an auction 2 years ago. Says it runs and drives, I foot hole in the driver floor. Said he got the car from an auction.. No keys.. Starts with screwdriver. Has a 66 parts car that can be raided for free if you by this one in a week or two. He told me 2000. Just relisted it at 2500.

Bill Marcy
02-09-2013, 08:33 PM
It is back on craigslist again. This ambulance needs more than the seller admits, but it is haunting me. I have had a dream, probably a nightmare that I bought it. I think it is just a bit too rough, but it would be an awesome ambulance restored. If I had an ounce of ability, I would take a shot with it, because it is so close to me. I would probably regret it though. And the other problem is the seller, who is less than honest, at least in his description. Believe me, you aren't driving it anywhere!

Jean-Marc Dugas
02-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Bill

I'd say if you have the space, just do it. Decide what you are willing to spend to purchace the car and go see the guy.

Do not get hung up on what the guy say or does not say, rely on what you know.

As far as abilities, if you can have the patience to take your time do what you can do yourself and know when to call in the experts, you should be ok. I never did anything mechanical before I got my 67, but I took the challenge head on and I am doing reasonably well with it.

The biggest issue is the long term time commitment (danger of geting board and/ frustrated to the point of giving up) and the financial commitment. If you can spare 40 - 50 k oner the next 5 years, then you should be all right.

ow
It is back on craigslist again. This ambulance needs more than the seller admits, but it is haunting me. I have had a dream, probably a nightmare that I bought it. I think it is just a bit too rough, but it would be an awesome ambulance restored. If I had an ounce of ability, I would take a shot with it, because it is so close to me. I would probably regret it though. And the other problem is the seller, who is less than honest, at least in his description. Believe me, you aren't driving it anywhere!

Bill Marcy
02-10-2013, 12:16 AM
Bill

I'd say if you have the space, just do it. Decide what you are willing to spend to purchace the car and go see the guy.

Do not get hung up on what the guy say or does not say, rely on what you know.

As far as abilities, if you can have the patience to take your time do what you can do yourself and know when to call in the experts, you should be ok. I never did anything mechanical before I got my 67, but I took the challenge head on and I am doing reasonably well with it.

The biggest issue is the long term time commitment (danger of geting board and/ frustrated to the point of giving up) and the financial commitment. If you can spare 40 - 50 k oner the next 5 years, then you should be all right.

ow

Thank you for your thoughts, but I am not mechanical at all. Since I am "legally blind" probably has alot to do with my lack of ability in that realm. If I had someone working with me, I could probably do some of the work.