View Full Version : 1970 Cadillac Ambulance

James Staton
11-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Price does not seem unreasonable.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/3375208679.html

James

Dave Ware
11-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Looked this car a few years ago he wanted 18k for it.
The rear medical cabinets had been ripped out that was just after he drove it under something and smacked the beacon light off now a strobe light
I think the floor was still intact.
good to see he came off the price.
and hey its a Ghostbusters car can't go wrong :14_6_12:

Adam Borkat
11-24-2012, 09:53 AM
I also remember when this was for sale not long ago for what Dave said. I never bothered going to see it or talking to the guy because of that. I think in his head he really thought it was just like the real Ecto.

Anyway, I can go look at it if someone's seriously interested. It's about 45-60 mins. away. I kind of want to see it for myself anyway, but it would be hard to convince the old lady it's a good family car :)

Danny Ryder
11-24-2012, 10:13 AM
I also remember when this was for sale not long ago for what Dave said. I never bothered going to see it or talking to the guy because of that. I think in his head he really thought it was just like the real Ecto.

Anyway, I can go look at it if someone's seriously interested. It's about 45-60 mins. away. I kind of want to see it for myself anyway, but it would be hard to convince the old lady it's a good family car :)

Depending on how solid it is and how well it runs and drives I think it might be worth the price. If interior has alot of issues though it may not.

Jeremy D. Ledford
11-24-2012, 10:41 AM
WOW! A first year Miller-Meteor 54" Lifeliner ambulance! Someone get this and restore her to her former glory!!!

John ED Renstrom
11-24-2012, 10:45 AM
if all that is missing is the cabinet finding one for a MM should be doable. but a drive away high top under 3, decent buy if your looking for one. but just like a top end one you really need to see what your getting in to first.

Tony Karsnia
11-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I wonder if this is the same car that was for sale in Wisconsin several years ago. Had mag wheels on it then, if I remember correctly. Though I never cared for the "added on" front tunnel lights, as seen on the 1970 and some early 1971 Lifeliners, it would be nice to great to see one of these first generation cars restored. This car would be a perfect mate to either Steve Lichtman's or Dan Brintlinger's 1970 Volunteer.

Mike McDonald
11-24-2012, 12:01 PM
I wonder if this is the same car that was for sale in Wisconsin several years ago. Had mag wheels on it then, if I remember correctly. Though I never cared for the "added on" front tunnel lights, as seen on the 1970 and some early 1971 Lifeliners, it would be nice to great to see one of these first generation cars restored. This car would be a perfect mate to either Steve Lichtman's or Dan Brintlinger's 1970 Volunteer.

I was going to comment on the tunnel lights (wanted to wait until someone else broke the ice 1st) as they looked like "Pre-1954" Henney-Packards ones to me? MM

Bill Head
11-24-2012, 01:48 PM
I pass by the car daily, it is about 5 minutes from my funeral home at Duluth, Ga it has weathered over the past year, because it was never garaged, and it is the one that was listed for $18,000. If anyone has an interest I will look for you and take additional pictures.
Bill Head

Kevin Lynch
11-24-2012, 01:57 PM
The rig from Wisconsin hit the sale websites sporting a 3' tall gargoyle attached to the roof over the back door. This was probably 8-10 years ago? It was owned by an art studio and they wanted $10k for it. They made a video for me (VHS). I told them that it needed a lot and would be worth 10 or more some day, but not then. I think I called them again maybe a year later and they still had it at that price.
A couple of years later I flew to Atlanta to check one out that one of our Atlanta members was having restored along with a co-owner. During our discussion, I found that this was the gargoyle car! The chrome was off the vehicle and the seats were in a shop where they had been reupholstered and a very nice deep red. At the time I was assessing the possibility of a swap/cash deal with my Suburban. I liked the Caddy a lot but couldn't swing another restoration project. I think the only rust issues were very slight and under the trim locations. Hope this helps!

Dan Brintlinger
11-24-2012, 09:03 PM
After an EXTREMELY BRIEF discussion, Nedra and I don't think my '70 Volunteer needs a "mate" in the garage..................!:twak:

Jeremy D. Ledford
11-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Love the 1970 Cadillac style and love the M-M Lifeliner style to along with this one being the first year for the Lifeliner! Was close enough to home to possibly pounce on but this one came along about a month to late for me!:peek-a-boo::toocool:

Danny Ryder
11-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Looked this car a few years ago he wanted 18k for it.
The rear medical cabinets had been ripped out that was just after he drove it under something and smacked the beacon light off now a strobe light
I think the floor was still intact.
good to see he came off the price.
and hey its a Ghostbusters car can't go wrong :14_6_12:

Thanks to Bill Head I have good pictures of the car now. Owner does have cabinets so that will help but don't know about divider. Shows wear but and of course needs work. He said it did run so hope there.

Danny Ryder
11-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Love the 1970 Cadillac style and love the M-M Lifeliner style to along with this one being the first year for the Lifeliner! Was close enough to home to possibly pounce on but this one came along about a month to late for me!:peek-a-boo::toocool:

Well we all know I am partial to a 70 caddy anything especially a MM so I am going to try to work out a deal on it. Bill Head got me some good pictures today. THanks again Bill.

Danny Ryder
11-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Car has been sold to someone in South Carolina. Don't know who.

Thomas Green
11-29-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm the guy from SC that bought the ambulance, planning on a full restoration, i would really be grateful for any help with parts, I am real good friend with Josh Horton from Lancaster some of y'all may know him. i found most of th parts in the basement of the shop. I would be great full in model number of the right siren that was on the car etc.

Bill Marcy
11-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Welcome to the forum Thomas! And congratulations on your purchase too! If you do a full restoration, you will have a fabulous classic ambulance to enjoy and be proud of. Best of luck with it!

Adam Borkat
11-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Congrats on the new car! It was only a day or two away from staying in GA :D

And you'll find lots of help in your restoration here, as we have many very knowledgeable members. Don't forget, post your progress pictures!

Danny Ryder
11-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Good job Thomas, we know Josh for sure. Hope you have fun with the car and as Adam said another day and I would have had it. Have fun.

John ED Renstrom
11-29-2012, 10:19 PM
I have a 1969 MM torn apart right now hoping the get it back together soon the guy that owns it has all ready forgotten it's his

Paul Steinberg
11-29-2012, 10:29 PM
I have a 1969 MM torn apart right now hoping the get it back together soon the guy that owns it has all ready forgotten it's his

When he says it is torn apart, he isn't joking. I am wonding if he will remember where everything goes when it comes time to put it back together.

Kyle Martin
11-30-2012, 10:32 AM
paul, id be glad to drive your torn up car to you. would not charge a thing. id just need to stop by home on the way and rest for a few weeks before making that long journey to the right coast. when will it be ready so i can go pick it up? id probaly drop something off while i was there. secret purchase the wife doesnt know about that will have to be paid for out of my secret slush fund. its red and hightop is all i will say now but i will have it done by summer one way or another. let me know so i can pack and fill up. trying to help. let me know... kyle

Thomas Green
12-11-2012, 08:07 PM
I have started from the front of the Ambulance and working my way back. The front bumper has be pushed up and it not lined up correctly in progress of fixing, New power steering hose have went on this week, due to what the guy I bought it from saying was a oil leak, in have purchased a complete front end kit and it well be started by the end of the week, it don't look like the guy evey changed the brakes on the ambulance, which in case had to order two new rotors, calipers and bearing. I have reinstalled most of the inside part that he took apart and I found in the basement of the auto/lube shop. Still missing the divider and cover that goes behind the seat to cover spare tire, also missing all the siren components. It's slowly coming back to life.
:)

Dan Brintlinger
12-11-2012, 08:50 PM
My 1970 Volunteer ambulance already has a flower car for a mate, but it would like to find a 1970 landau side-loader to make it really happy! :rolleyes: