PDA

View Full Version : Rescue 8 episode - '58 M-M ambulance

Steve Loftin
11-02-2012, 09:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnBuKX4DyFM

Jim Jordan
11-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Looks like every car in sight is a 58 GM product!

Steve Loftin
11-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Note that none of the front warning lights are "steady burn."

Wayne Krakowski
11-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks,remember watching that when I was a kid,a long,long time ago.

Gus Boucher
11-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the clip. Boy its great to recall the day. Great way to end a Friday.
THANK YOU

Kevin Lynch
11-02-2012, 10:12 PM
When ever someone discusses "Emergency" I ask them if they remember the B&W show Rescue 8? Nope. Same time frame as Sky King, Highway Patrol, and Whirlybirds. No one remembers Whirlybirds either. I think that was based on CHP. I would swap every thing I own for one of those trucks.
Geeesh. Well it was great to see the clip!
Thanks!

Joe Rackov
11-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Kevin,

I remember Rescue 8 also. Watched it on our B/W Admiral TV.

John ED Renstrom
11-03-2012, 12:09 PM
When ever someone discusses "Emergency" I ask them if they remember the B&W show Rescue 8? Nope. Same time frame as Sky King, Highway Patrol, and Whirlybirds. No one remembers Whirlybirds either.
Thanks!

must be a age thing as I remember everyone of those shows. I always marveled at the fact that no matter what they called for or who they sent to get it the vary piece of equptment they needed was laying at the back of the truck.

Scott A. Anderson
11-03-2012, 12:38 PM
I sure would like to obtain a dvd with these old Rescue 8 shows. This show was an early influence in pointing me toward my EMS and fire service career. I was already heading down this path when Emergency hit the air waves when I was in high school.

In the '59-'60 time frame I have a vague recollection of a black and white documentry about FDNY Rescue 1. May have been CBS. I've been looking for a copy of this without sucess.

I also watched Highway Patrol, Whirlybirds, Sky King, and Car 54 Where Are You. And of course Leave it to Beaver.

Mike Stevens
11-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I remember all those shows. I also remember that 58 Chevy Impala convertible. My first convertible when I was only 17 years old. Yes, that is one I wish I still had.
Mike

Dan Brintlinger
11-03-2012, 09:01 PM
RESCUE 8 and HIGHWAY PATROL are available again........quality on Rescue 8 is not as good as Highway Patrol, but they are viewable. If anyone wants the source, they can email me............PS the senior fireman on Rescue 8 went on to be Mr. Ewing Sr. on "Dallas" several years later..........

John Royark JR
11-03-2012, 09:03 PM
I barely knew Emergency the first time around, but not old enough to understand it, i was born in 74, and do not know the others at all.

Tim Prieur
11-03-2012, 09:18 PM
When ever someone discusses "Emergency" I ask them if they remember the B&W show Rescue 8? Nope. Same time frame as Sky King, Highway Patrol, and Whirlybirds. No one remembers Whirlybirds either. I think that was based on CHP. I would swap every thing I own for one of those trucks.
Geeesh. Well it was great to see the clip!
Thanks!

Rescue 8, Sky King, Highway Patrol and of course Whirlybirds, all a special treat when you were allowed to "stay up late". A Canadian addition was "Cannonball".

Back then in Canada you had one station on TV. In retrospect more entertaining than the present 400+ channel universe (boy I sound old, sorry).

Brendan Martin
11-03-2012, 10:30 PM
I barely knew Emergency the first time around, but not old enough to understand it, i was born in 74, and do not know the others at all.

John, I was born in 75. During the late 70s and early 80s I spent my days at my grandparents plopped in front of TV38 out of Boston showing recent reruns of Emergency! Couple this with being a block away from a city hospital and firehouse, and you can see the recipe for disaster. My mother would pick me up at 5 and all I would talk about was ambulances and fire trucks.

Steve Lichtman
11-03-2012, 10:44 PM
I remember "Rescue 8" from TVLand reruns. When TVLand was new and nobody watched it, that was one of the shows they showed. Now, I call it "RaymondLand", all "Raymond", all the time.

Of course, I'm old enough to remember the anxiously anticipated Saturday night, 8:00pm, in December of 1971......."NBC World Premiere: Emergency!". Of course, I had to watch it on the black-and-white upstairs TV, because mom wanted to watch "All in the Family" on the downstairs TV, but that was good enough. In fact, I always watched it in black-and-white - when we went on vacation once and I watched it on a color TV in a hotel, I was surprised their uniforms were blue!

Bruce Oliphant
11-03-2012, 10:53 PM
RESCUE 8 and HIGHWAY PATROL are available again........quality on Rescue 8 is not as good as Highway Patrol, but they are viewable. If anyone wants the source, they can email me............PS the senior fireman on Rescue 8 went on to be Mr. Ewing Sr. on "Dallas" several years later..........

Sheriff Roscoe P. Coletrain from Dukes of Hazzard was in one of the episodes of RESCUE 8 that I just watched on youtube.

Wayne Krakowski
11-03-2012, 11:00 PM
On highway patrol it amazed me how Broderick Crawford could get clear across the state so fast,and every time he picked up the mike he never had to wait for a clear channel.Classics,all of them and now we in the field can sit back and say,people actually bought this stuff.:badbad:

Mike McDonald
11-04-2012, 06:48 AM
Note that none of the front warning lights are "steady burn."

Steve: I noticed that too. Although I don't have the official (mandatory) change over date, CDF Apparatus in CA went to steady reds in 1958. Our Restored 1949 REO Speedwagon X-CDF Fire Engine had a Single (FLASHING) center roof (between the windshield sections) mounted 6-Volt S-M Oval from new prior to 1958. LA County may have changed over later, or the Rescue-8 Show Unit wasn't accurate?

Mike Stevens
11-04-2012, 10:42 AM
In a time before continuity directors you can see some nice glitches in some old shows. A friend recently sent a link to an episode of Highway Patrol. Crawford leaves the office in a black and white 55 Buick. When he arrived at the call scene he is in a 55 Mercury. Yes, you can see it coming. He leaves the scene in the Merc only to arrive back at headquarters in the Buick. No indication of why the switch in cars. Just that someone did't think anyone was really watching the details I guess.
Mike

John ED Renstrom
11-04-2012, 10:53 AM
that was the most fun about the shows. you had already bought the bit or you would not watch them. but to get to see those mistakes only made you watch them closer. I mean how many ways can you catch the bad guy. but to see the man run to the truck to get something out of the back and it's empty when he gets it only to run for one more thing having it appear were the other was that's priceless. I got new for you guys I still have a black and white TV

Kyle Martin
11-05-2012, 08:54 PM
58 convertible 348 tri-powe 1st year 4 speed contenental kit fender skirts. makes me drool. nowdays 100k+. ahh those were the days.

Chris M. Kelley
11-05-2012, 10:28 PM
I could watch that all day.. Locally, there's a station on Digital Cable called MeTV, they show Emergency at 5pm daily. What ticks me off, is they don't go in order, they skip around.

Kevin O'Connell
11-12-2012, 02:03 AM
Somewhere I have a picture of a 14 year-old Joe Ortiz standing next to that 58 MM Futura Ambulance. He answered the phones at Miller's. One day the crew woke up and all the cars had been repossessed. Miller's accountant was an actor named Rand Brooks. Brooks bought the phone numbers from Miller's and paid the finance company to get the cars back. Joe Ortiz became the first employee of Brooks' new company, Professional Ambulance.

We've talked about Brooks before. At the time of his death, he was the oldest surviving principal cast member of "Gone With the Wind". His first wife was Stan Laurel's daughter.

BTW, the California steady burning red light law (now known as 25252 CVC) dates back to 1929 but was not adequately defined until 1957. Prior to that a Mars FL or Federal PropelloRay sufficed. Beginning January 1st, 1958 that changed with the new California Administrative Code Title 13 which laid out exact requirements, including minimum lumens and beam spread. This is why Superior bullet lights were hard to find in California- they weren't bright enough and didn't have the required beam spread. I don't remember any of Miller's cars being consistent, not even from one week to the next. Some times, one or both of the tunnel lights would burn steady, sometimes there would be a red spotlight.

Mike McDonald
11-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Kevin: THANKS for the clarification on this. From information and pictures I obtained from the CDF Museum (Pre and Post 1958) in restoring our X-CDF 1949 REO Fire Engine (6336), I knew it must have been mandatory circa 1957-1958. At that time their whole fleet of around 100+ vehicles had Single (FLASHING) S-M Oval Red Lights. I wonder what happened to all of those ..... probably in a landfill near Sacramento? MM

James Fischer
11-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Kevin: THANKS for the clarification on this. From information and pictures I obtained from the CDF Museum (Pre and Post 1958) in restoring our X-CDF 1949 REO Fire Engine (6336), I knew it must have been mandatory circa 1957-1958. At that time their whole fleet of around 100+ vehicles had Single (FLASHING) S-M Oval Red Lights. I wonder what happened to all of those ..... probably in a landfill near Sacramento? MM

Mike,
I have searched all the landfills in Sacramento,even went to Roseville,Placerville,and Auburn....NOTHING........except old Superior Ambulance,Foothill Ambulance,and Metro Ambulance items from the 70's and 80's that AMR disposed of when they took over all 3 companys in the 90s........:yum:

Dan Brintlinger
06-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Don't forget that one of those LA County Firefighters went on to become Mr. Ewing, JR's dad, on "Dallas" several years later!