PDA

View Full Version : 1970 superior ambulance Colorado

Chris Elzie
10-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Nice ambulance good price too!!

http://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/3355234800.html

Steve Loftin
10-30-2012, 04:21 PM
If anyone saved this ad or the pictures, please post them here. I didn't get to it until the ad was already pulled.

Steve Lichtman
10-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Here ya go!

Martin Harvey
10-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Clean interior, any PCS bought it?

Steve Loftin
10-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Nice ambulance good price too!!

What was the price?

James Fischer
10-30-2012, 10:30 PM
What was the price?

Steve,
The rig was retired in the early 80's by the town of Naturita in Colorado.....

The gentleman that bought it from the town was the fire chief .

Upon his retirement he wanted to use it in service as a "first aid" vehicle at a number of mines that he owned......but with the decline of mining in the 90's he just put it in storage........

Fast forward to October 2012...he decieded to sell it now that he is also retired from any mining activities.....

The vehicle runs.drives and is in pretty decent shape......it is stocked as the day they took it out of service (he wanted the medical items to stay in tact when he purchased it)..........

His asking price is/WAS $4000.00......

Jim

James Fischer
10-31-2012, 12:13 PM
Clean interior, any PCS bought it?

Martin,
YES it went to a PCS member.....:festive:
Jim

Jean-Marc Dugas
10-31-2012, 07:57 PM
Looking at the last picture of the car's interior, i notices that the overhead cabinet has a control panel on the right side below the radio equipment.

This is the first time that I have noticed that. Usually they are either on the passenger side by the forward facing attendant seat (on the Pontiac's that I have seen) on on a separate box on the driver side by the head of the stretcher.

Is this a common place for that control panel?

Martin Harvey
10-31-2012, 08:35 PM
The interior is interesting you're right, what are these red pads for? (On the top compartment?)

Steve Lichtman
10-31-2012, 10:31 PM
The red pads are there because there is an attendant's seat at the head-end of the stretcher. There appears to be a tool box sitting on that seat now. That was an optional location for the seat, probably not too common in '70 (but by '75, it was quite common). The pads are to protect the attendant's head from the overhead cabinet.

(When the rear-facing attendant's seat is on the passenger side, it sits lower and the regular cabinet does not extend over the seat, so no head pad was needed.)

As for the control panel, I've not seen that, but I'd have to check a Superior brochure to see if this was available, or a special request.

Slightly more unusual is the roll-up cabient doors - common in a M-M, pretty unusual in a Superior.

Wayne Krakowski
10-31-2012, 10:37 PM
Could that control panel be an intercom,or switch system to the front to tell the driver to step on it,in our newer cars they have rear ceiling lights at the back door to warn the attendant when the vehicle is stopping or turning.

Dan Herrick
10-31-2012, 11:58 PM
"As for the control panel, I've not seen that, but I'd have to check a Superior brochure to see if this was available, or a special request.

Slightly more unusual is the roll-up cabinet doors - common in a M-M, pretty unusual in a Superior."

My Superior 70 has a similar control panel on the right of the top cabinet but the cabinet is different. I don't believe the bi-fold door on the left is common and that the two doors next to that door is not a standard cabinet setup. Mine also has the roll-up cabinet door on the bottom cabinet again the setup is different though. Looking at the brochure shows a cabinet with roll-up doors. I think that this is a custom built setup.

Scott Crittenden
11-01-2012, 10:54 AM
I wonder if somebody wrote a spec intended for M-M and Superior won a bid.

Mike Stevens
11-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks to all of you for posting to this thread. I learned a bit about straight ambulances today.
Mike

James Fischer
12-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Just wanted to say a public "THANK YOU" to CHRIS ELZIE for posting the 70 Superior ambulance back in October....on Craigslist......
I was on the phone within 10 minutes talking to the owners.....
And purchased it via E-Bay so a quick transaction could be completed....
The owner told me I was the 2nd person to call within 10 minutes....someone from either North Carolina or Mississippi had also called.....and was "Thinking about it".....
I now have 2 70 Superiors a 51" and a 54"....so I shoud be able to make a complete vehicle......
I really hate to start "borrowing" parts from the 51" that I purchased in August.....since it is a pretty complete car.....and the NEW 54" only needs a windshield and a few small trim pieces.....

Paul Steinberg
12-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Once you start "borrowing" from one to fix the other, you have intentionally or unintentionally, created a parts car. Moldings are not that hard to come by for a 1970, nor is the windshield. I have seen it all too often where a restorable car becomes a "temporary" parts car, and it then relegated to the back of the lot with the intentions of "someday" I will restore it, but that day never comes, and the car keeps deteriorating from neglect and time.